Looking at budget metals....

I know these threads are likely common, but here’s another…

Researching my first metal yoyo. It may be a while before I pull the trigger. But I’d like to hear a couple of things.

Firstly…what are your thoughts on the iYoyo Hidra and the One Drop Vanguard as a player’s first metal throw?
It would be mainly for learning, practicing and just pure enjoyment.

Second, what would YOU get if you were back at this point, as a newer player knowing what you know, and why?

Thanks all! Look forward to hearing from you!

There are so many options. It’s hard to go wrong!

You could dip a toe in with an extreme budget model like the MagicYoYo N12, the TopYo Colossus, YoYofficer Apex or Kilter, or a YYF B grade currently available on YYE. Another option is something a bit more expensive, in the $40 or $50 range, like the Vanguard or an SK. You’re not going to find real problems with any of these yoyos, so it’s up to you, your preferences, and what you think looks cool.

Hydras a bit expensive for a first metal, I’d only get it if you can stand the thought of those beefy rims being scarred and pitted to heck, and can afford it(aka having enough money left over to buy more yoyos, string, and anything else you spend your hard earned cash on).

I would say that one drop isn’t necessarily the best choice, because it comes with a flat bearing and such, but, if you really like to buy American, don’t care what kind of bearing you start off with, and want your money going towards a bunch of awesome people that give back the community, One Drop may be for you. (Not that iyoyo doesn’t do that stuff).

Personally, I would really recommend getting a YYF b grade, as my own experience with those has been very good. Other than the popstar, any of those would be fine to start with.

Just my thoughts, sorry I tend to be a bit long-winded.

i 3rd the yyf bgrades. ive been throwing for a while and bought a superstar and a pivot, great deals and players and cheap enough where you dont have to worry about abusing them (which you will)

I have only been throwing for a year or so. I have anout 20 throws. I find the colossus IV to play incredible for a budget. I love mine

2 Likes

Top Yo Silenus, ODxSF SK

Whoa! Ok. Lots to digest here.

Yeah…if I did get the Hidra, I would likely only throw it inside.
A mishap with that might cause me to shed a tear, lol.

I’ll need to look over the B Grades.
I just learned more about those today.

The Colossus looks like it would be really comfortable in the hand.
And the price is pretty nice!

I am definitely going to get several sets of strings to see if there are any I prefer. They’ll probably be fairly similar to me since I’m relatively new at this.

I really appreciate all the suggestions. I’ll listen to as many as will reply. You guys are a great help!

Just don’t get something that you’re scared to damage. I’m not saying you need to abuse it, but it’s nice to not worry about a ding. That said, I still have yo-yos I’m scared to ding haha, but save that for when you have a couple other throws to use as utility throws

If you pay for shipping, I have a paolista with your name on it.

Very Tempting…but I’m scared to ask what shipping is from Hawaii to Texas :wink:

The b-grade pivots DO look nice.
…especially for $20

I’m not to Hawaii quite yet :blush: I sent you a PM.

You know the mid-2010’s are really finally over when someone asks about budget metals and no one mentions the Shutter. Just a couple years ago that would have been unthinkable. How the times change!

Ok…I PM’d you, but it’s not showing in my sent box, so let me know if you didn’t get it.

The too hot, shutter and horizon debates. I have yet to try a shutter :flushed:

All that have been suggested are good options. There is no better deal right now for the dollar than the yoyofactory b grades. For $20.00 you get a top of the line yoyo.

I haven’t played a D10 but the pivot and superstar pivot are both excellent.

So, what are the main differences between the Pivot and the Superstar?

Really just the profile shape. Superstar is more H shaped and the pivot is more V shaped. You can’t go wrong with either.

Get both, I did! The pivot feels a little heavier, has a more “sandy” blast and has metal cups, plus it’s smaller than the superstar. That being said I would agree you can’t go wrong with either. Superstar has Delrin caps and pivot is all metal as well…

The Vanguard is fantastic.

1 Like