Competition tips?

I’m trying to get real with competition, any tips along the lines of showmanship?

1 Like

Sorry!!! From what I read and saw from somewhere it’s more about showmanship and having a routine with the music to blow people away. He even said a few years ago that almost avoiding technical small tricks can be better.

1 Like

You need both technical ability and flare.

Just relax. Take it slow, and just focus on one element at a time.

1 Like

My best advice is to allow yourself to get as much stage practice as possible. The more you do this the more your nerves will be less issue and you can then focus on your stage presence and performance ideas.

2 Likes

Wear a dark colored shirt or nobody will be able to see your string segments.

2 Likes

In addition to what @Jeihwan said, which is so important – you gotta get up on the stage and do it, to get better at it – I’d say watching hundreds of videos of competition performances is also key. Copy what you like, and what works! Watch the competition videos obsessively, practice what you admire from those competition videos obsessively!

It might be worth finding a stage somewhere (I dunno, high school auditorium?) and just walking up there and mimicing a performance, maybe with a few friends watching or whatever – or even alone! – would probably get you part of the way there.