Your Favorite FHZ Setup - NEW ICY FHZ pg10

Well, I messed around with all the spacers I own, and the sili filled Offstring Spacers.

All the spacers, except the ones that come with either the Mod/Offstring Spacer make the gap waaay too big. So big infact that you can’t screw the yoyo together.

So I tried with the spacers it was intended to be used with, and the gap was quite narrow. The sili worked, but the binds weren’t tight.

Throw putting sili in the 4 holes out the window. Not worth it.

I ordered over 200 LEDs, various colors, brightnesses, angles. I think I ordered 30-40 Slow Color Change LEDs if anyone wants to convert their Light Up to slow rainbow fade, which IMO looks significantly better.

I also have lots of Light Up technology on the way, thanks to everyone whose helped out… will make it a lot easier to experiment with.

I plan on doing lots of different experimenting with the LEDs…

-Two LEDs per half is pretty fun. There is a groove cut out of the bottom of the LED ‘board’, which is good for housing the second LED. Also makes the two LEDs align pretty well when spinning. This can make for some pretty fun color mixing… call it an “electric fade”

• Figuring out what angles look best. LEDs have lots of options, the “viewing angle” can be narrow or wide, which messes with the brightness of the LED itself. The stock LED has a viewing angle of 30 degrees. I got various flavors of 23-30, 30, 42-50, 55-65, stuff like that. So I’m expecting a much more illuminated FHZ with the wider angles. I’m thinkin I can get a Day Glow FHZ to glow perfectly, as in… you can’t see the LED really, but the whole body just glows perfectly.

• I’m going to figure out which colors look best, and which colors make Transluscent FHZs really pop. I got many different shades (wavelengths) of each color. Can you picture a clear FHZ that becomes an Electric Bape color-theme?

• Opaque FHZ’s with clear caps. Positioning the LED’s to shine out of the caps for a cool effect.

• And most interestingly, IMO… cutting a groove within the “guts” of the FHZ so that an LED can shine through the response area. This might sound very, very dumb to you. But if you position an LED into the actual body of the FHZ, poking out flush where the response pad is… Then you install Clear Mod Spacers onto the FHZ, you can very effectively light up the Mod Spacers, for an electric dual tone per half. Four color FHZ

I got lots of ideas, and I have no problem sharing. I hope someone else out there gets as fascinated with Light Ups as me.

I play my FHZ with a cleaned center track, and one duncan silicone sticker. It plays unresponsive and has nice tight binds

Peep game…

1 Like

Mine is a deep sticker recessed fhz done by takeshi. Love that yoyo. I have almost loved it to death infact.

Thats a beautiful yoyo

1 Like

Thanks yomagic, I’m sure you already know what type it is… but for anyone whose wondering, it’s a yoyoguy x birdinhand x spingear Purple Intrigue.

You guys should tell me your favorite FHZ you have!!

I’m so jealous of the one with Higby dinosaur caps.

I agree.

Don’t hate me for this, but I tend to typically dislike Higby’s art. But that Dinosaur FHZ looks great!!!

Second in Command:

Man I wish my toy r us sells fhz but all they have is fh1 or fh2

Gosh me too man!! That would be WONDERFUL. I’m surprised they don’t sell Light Up FHZ’s…

I really wish they sold Blind packs of Caps. Like, $10 for three sets of random caps. Like, opaque ones, translucent and glitter ones, special ones. That would be sooo cool, they could have “special edition” caps that have increased rarity.

Like, 1 out of every 500 packs could have Chrome caps. That would be pretty sweet.

So do the FHZs wobble a lot with the spacers?

1 Like

No

Here ya go yoyospirit… hopefully this answers your question…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U3EKmpFzw0

So, I personally don’t have a FHZ, but would all of you recommend one? And what do you think would be a pretty good set up?

I imagine just a silicone recess would be good enough to make it dead unresponsive, right?

I don’t know, I only own Duncan fixed axles, so I have no idea. What would you recommend?

Yeah, and make sure you clean out the bearing too. And I’ve found you only need to recess one side of the yoyo, and leave the other one bare with no sticker or anything

Don’t expect performance. As in, don’t expect it to be on the same level as your H3X or other high end metals. It will do everything you want it to do and if you have skills it shouldn’t be a problem, but if you’re a beginner… you might think it ‘sucks’ cuz it doesn’t improve your skills, where a long spinning metal is more ‘cushiony’ than a FHZ. On the other side of the coin, it will hone your skills and make you a smoother player.

The above paragraph, I highly scrutinized the FHZ, simply because I’ve seen beginners who have CLYW’s who think a FHZ is some magical yoyo that’ll instantly make them play better or something. So after they throw it a couple times, they deem it as crappy. IMO, the FHZ is a marvelous yoyo with lots of soul, I love throwing mine and I can do everything on it that I can with any other yoyo (besides grinds).

I highly suggest a Light Up FHZ. It comes stock with a pad recess, so you don’t have to do anything to it except clean the bearing! The Light-Up technology adds a nice couple grams and it looks super cool. Otherwise, yeah, a simple sili recess will work. I love a single pad recess. There’s lots of options.

I wasn’t expecting it to out perform my H3X, because I feel like that is a perfect throw. I’ve never landed tricks easier on anything else. It just clicks with me.

And, another question about the Light up FHZ. Say I didn’t care for the pulse technology, could I remove the LEDs and what not and have a clear FHZ with pad recess? I’m under the impression that’s what I would be left with.

And I’d say I have the skill to use one. ;D Getting better all the time, and if I can’t do it on my FHZ then I’ll just do it on one of my other throws until I can do it on my FHZ. ;D

I’ve been really interested in these for a while, just never picked one up. I kind of regret it now. I’m gonna snag a White/Red one while I can, and get a light up FHZ later. I really like the light up, but I am in love with the way the White/Red looks.

Yeah you can remove the light up technology and it will be the same as a regular FHZ (except it’ll be pad recessed for you already). Pretty simple to remove too, they just sit in there underneath the caps.

You’re right, the best way to make a stock FHZ “unresponsive” without any real work, is to clean the bearing and remove 1 pad. The pad won’t be recessed, so it’s still going to be somewhat responsive and it’s going to wear out quicker than if the pad was recessed. So I suggest grabbing a pack of friction stickers if you’re going to go the “stock” route. Whether it’s pad recessed, sili recessed, or stock… it’s still going to ‘feel’ the same… just vary in degrees of responsiveness. What I mean by that is, I wouldn’t be concerned with the ‘feel/play’ being affected, but rather focusing on how responsive you want it. So again, removing a sticker + cleaning the bearing, will make it Less-responsive, but probably not as unresponsive as you’d like. Remember, the gap isn’t very wide so that non-recessed pad is going to touch the string very easily.

I still suggest getting a light up FHZ considering it eliminates any Mod work you may have to do, but this also limits your choice of colors. Fortunately, there are -tons- of pre-modded FHZ’s out there that I’m sure people are willing to sell. Or alternatively, you could have any FHZ modded for relatively cheap.

There’s lots of routes you can go, the FHZ is the #1 modded yoyo.