The YYJ X-CON PRO

Thanks for stopping by to read this review.

Sometimes things in life come full circle. Or you find yourself back to where you started, sort of. In my case, I bought my first advanced yoyo in 07’ which was the 2007 YYJ X Convict (Japanese Version Green Lantern if I recall correctly). I picked it because I loved its construction material, aggressive V shape and its name. How could you not like a name like the X Convict on a yoyo?? Or the Hitman for that matter. It sounds dangerous, and law breaking hehe. So, 41/2 years later, the X Con Pro is out. I had a feeling they would make a Pro version once the Hitman became Pro some months before, and I’m glad they did!

Here’s my take…

Look: The X con Pro is a Hot Rod of a throw that looks awesome in person. I like the plastic/ metal construction appearance. That’s one of the reasons that drew me to the YYJ brand in the first place. The yoyos look just plain cool. The Carbon fiber caps look really awesome and are unbreakable. Carbon fiber is carbon reinforced plastic or polymer. The Polymer can be epoxy or polyester, etc. It has a high strength to weight ratio meaning its light and super super strong! The Bronze weight rings are perfectly placed on the wings and the metal actually looks nearly as white as aluminum. But upon close inspection you’ll see the bronze color. This is a compact, sporty, sharp sharp looking yoyo. I really love the shape, its of mean aggression! It’s not exactly a sharp V, but more of compact, fat hour glass shape. Mine is the Black, of course! However the red one looks killer too! It’s an awesome spectacle to look at indoors or outdoors.

Below is an industrial piece of carbon fiber which looks quite like the caps do.

Old vs New:The original X Con and the Pro are two totally different throws. They share the same name but that’s it. They are different in size, shape and response. The 1st X Convict has a higher wall, double O ring response and an adjustable gap for beginner, intermediate and advanced play. The New X Convict has silicone rings and comes with a thin and wide bearing for beginner, intermediate and advanced play stages. The Pro also has the “Solid Spin” axle system allowing for a more longer and stable spin whereas the first X Con does NOT. The new X Con reminds me a lot of the larger SFX, especially with regard to its weight ring placement. But the SFX is larger, lighter in weight and has a higher wall than the X Con Pro does.

Feel: The undersized form of the X con feels nice and compact in the hand. All you feel really are the outer rims which are somewhat rigid in the palm, and part of the weight rings. Although the rims are rather acute angles, you will not find them sharp or hurtful on the returns. The plastic feels at room temp while the metal is cooler. On the whole, it’s a slick and highly polished feel.

1A Play: This is my second yoyo with the Solid Spin Axle system (the first being the SFX) and I have to say that I’m very very VERY pleased. On the first throw you feel the power behind the X Con. It’s a concentrated form of pure energy and force. At 67.6 grams it did feel somewhat heavy at first because I usually play 64 to 66 g these days. But after a few moments you get use to it. As you throw it from left to right, you can feel the power of its pull. I was rather stunned. Presence felt at all times! It’s also the fastest 67.6 grams I’ve played so far. It’s really, really fast, and nimble. You can jump here, there etc. And It shoots up high like a rocket with incredible float too!

On the string it feels dense and incredibly stable. It’s a very smooth throw. The balance is perfect, PERFECT. It remains on axis from start to finish. There is no string drag thanks to its low wall and its a really long spinner! It beats my Northstar in this regard hands down. Plus With a wide catch zone, all mounts fall into place with ease. The overall play is precise with the Xcon Pro. It feels precise, it behaves precise and is Precise!. The Silicone rings offer excellent stopping power making for snappy binds and the X Con also accepts CBC or Kpads as well.

The grinding capacity is minimal in my opinion. I mean being a JD signature and all, seems ironic but It can do arm and palm grinds but… not great you know. I tried IRGs too, but couldn’t get it to stay on, not to mention the noisy friction of the caps spinning on the thumb! But I have other yoyos for grinding anyway. The main thing here, is It’s string trick capacity which is just plain awesome!

5A Play: The nice thing about this form, is when you throw it 5A style, you can really wrap your finger into the gap for a nice tight grip prior to the throw. The X Con has very good stability for this style, but it is a little too heavy for my taste. The returns however are quite comfortable for this style which is nice. However the weight factor will catapult the counterweight fairly hard and fast against your hand when it comes back around. So if you use a die or a skull, it might hurt. I always use the rubber ball for this reason. It’s an option for 5A play without a doubt, especially if you don’t mind it being heavy because it’s so easy to land stuff. But I know I prefer it for 1A.

Conclusion: The X Con Pro blew away all my expectations. It’s a real pleasure to play. Having had the first one, the difference is huge and there’s NO comparison here. The pro is light years ahead in terms of overall handling. This thing is an A___ Kicker from the Streets that will take you from Beginner to Master easily. Awesome job JD!!!

If you like the plastic/ metal feel in an undersized yoyo, get this. If you’re wanting your first YoyoJam, get this. If you’re looking to get ANOTHER YoyoJam, GET THIS.

The X Con Pro… of Powerful, Mean and Dark Elements!

2 Likes

Fantastic review, and killer pics. The comparison shots are great, and let a person know exactly what they are getting. Looks like a killer throw.

Thanks for the positive feedback! This IS a killer throw. Every time I pick it up, I think, wow. YYJ really nailed it.

Great Review! I happen to enjoy all of your reviews, and this was a great one!
I also got an X-Con Pro Christmas Edition for Christmas along with the yoyos to the left, and I think it outplays all of the YoYoJam bi-metals by far. It has a strange, floaty, fast feel to it, yet you feel it could go as slow as a snail if it wanted. Precise is a great word to describe it as you play it. I also love its shape, and am trying to find other things with its wide hourglass shape. Mine doesn’t have those epic carbon fiber caps, but it looks amazing in light while you’re throwing, because it has a shining gold and green body, with those colors melding together on the caps. Really unique. But this review made me want one, and I am glad it did. That little monster outplays nearly everything I have, with a few exceptions.

Great Review! :slight_smile:

Hello! And thanks for the support! I like the look of the Xmas Edition too. Right now the X Con is my favorite plastic yoyo jam. I agree with you in that it outperforms other throws. It really is an awesome throw. Thanks for stopping by!

Awesome review! I’ve had X-Convict myself and loved it untill it broke. Which is why I have stopped using their bi-metals and moved towards full metal lines. However, I’ve been edging to try their bi-metal with Solid Spin Axle system. I might also wait and stay on the lookout for YYJ Vigilante that’s gonna come. Yes I take alot of time deciding which yoyo to get.

Anyways, That was a very in depth awesome review and picture/size comparison.

but, the ‘carbon fibre’ caps… (correct me if I’m wrong) I don’t think they are real carbon fibre but carbon-fibre-look-alike made by plastic and stickers. right?

This is a great review! Nice photos. I love the comparison shots. It is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

Hi! thx for the nice feedback and thx for stopping by! My Old X Con was cracked due to the fact there was no way for it to relieve stress from tightening because of the heavy aluminum weight rings at the outer rims. But with the new weight ring design you won’t ever have that problem. The SFX and the X CON Pro are great choices in this regard and you will love the Solid Spin Axle System guaranteed. I had the same feelings as you did but the SFX changed that and the X Con pro was a no brainer for me. You won’t be sorry if you buy one.

The Carbon Fiber caps REALLY ARE Carbon Fiber. YYJ would have legal issues with misrepresentation if they were not. This is why I put the pic of a piece of Carbon fiber at the beginning and as you see, it is the same look. And the silver grey markings on the caps won’t ever fade out, so you’ll have fresh and new looking caps for a long long time.

Thanks again for reading and posting!

You are welcome! And thank you for taking the time to read it. Happy New Year!!

Dude awesome review.

There in all the time of being a yoyoer have been very few times I have seen a review with the same quality as this.

Keep up the good work make some more. C=

Also check this out.

WoW!! Thanks for the comments and for stopping by Trace! Hope you have an awesome New Year!! :smiley:

This was a nice review. My Wife wants a new throw for her b-day so I sat her down to read up on this one. So she will be getting a red one.

I am going to get a hybrid for my collection so I am choosing a DM2 in black when I order her x-con pro in a few weeks.

It works out so we can try each others throws if they are different. When I get my OD Dang, there will also be her Shinwoo Dolphin that I can mess around with. ;D

SImply AMAZING!!! Thanks will be getting one soon! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like a great arrangement between you two! I like the Red X con as well. Have fun!

Cool, you’re gonna love it!

Great informative review!
I was trying to pick up an the X-ConVict but sadly found that its really not available for purchase anywhere. This Pro version is definitly on my list!

There are some original X convicts out there on some sites, if you really really want one. However the Pro is really the one to shoot for. Thx for stopping by!

1 Like

The caps on the HMP aren’t real carbon fiber, so I don’t understand why yyj would make the x-con’s real.

Not sure but sounds cool to me. C=

Just that little bit of less weight?

Does Carbon fiber, when cured at the resin, really weigh less than a similar sized cap that was all plastic though?