Pick a yoyo that's been in stock a while and explain why people should buy it.

If you’re like me you like to browse through the inventory on the YYE store a lot. This thread is for the great yoyos that aren’t top sellers. The ones you see time after time but think maybe should be sold out because of how good or just how much plain fun the yoyo is. So pick a yoyo if you dare that’s currently in stock and tell me and anyone else reading this thread what you like about it.

I’ll start with my choice, the YoYoJam Cerberus! There are still plenty in stock and it’s on sale, which doesn’t make the yoyo any better or worse, but it doesn’t hurt either. I like it because being an oversized metal/plastic hybrid it’s unique and it plays really well. It’s a full 68 grams but at almost 60 mm in diameter it doesn’t feel heavy. It has a great design on the caps, a cool name and it spins really well to top it all off.

What’s your pick?

5 Likes

Mythril Zeppelin. This yoyo is perfect in every way. It’s the only O shape yoyo I like even more than the MMC. Only costs 65 bucks, but feels like it should cost at least twice that. I have no idea why they aren’t flying off the shelf.

4 Likes

I will contact Andre and Garrett in the morning and ask them to double the price of the yoyo.

:point_right::nerd_face:

1 Like

2SickYoYos Fianchetto- Such an awesome EDC!.

• Nice and slim to fit in your pocket.
  • Beautiful Anodization
  • Doesn’t have an IGR, but the lip is big enough to easily do Thumb Grinds
  • Decent at fingerspins
  • Sings the song of Titanium!
  • Nice price for Ti

As you can see part of what I like about the Fianchetto for EDC is it’s versatility. Versatility is very high on my list of parameters for an EDC, and the Fianchetto delivers that in spades.

It also has a nostalgic quality. When I first threw it I thought “Cold Fusion GT”. It kinda seems like what might have happened if the CFGT had continued development into present day. To me it has that character, but with modern performance.

Another, and another EDC is the Veritas Pro:

It is in fact almost sold out, but I feel like this yoyo got left in the shuffle. I like it so much, that I bought a 2nd one; something I rarely do.

I posted this review in the store:

"This is my first time submitting any kind of yoyo review, but I felt compelled to do so, because I feel like the Veritas Pro hasn’t gotten the attention it deserves. The Veritas Pro is an excellent EDC, because it’s good at so many things, and is not too large, even if it’s not a slimeline.

In particular, it’s really great for various grinds. The fingercups are amazing! The 7075 rings create a nice IGR, and also allow for easy Talon Grinds. It’s even easy to use the fingerspin dimples to do Matador tricks and pull starts. It isn’t particularly heavily bead blasted, and yet it grinds very well. This combination of fingerspin dimple and IGR seems to be quite rare, and I think is reason alone to own this yoyo.

The Pixel bearing is excellent. Even though the VP has a large gap, the response system works well, and is consistent.

The only con for me is that I don’t find it very comfortable in the hand.

I truly feel this is a must have (at least try) yoyo!"

4 Likes

Not exactly an unknown yoyo but I would say the protostar. I have two dated 2010 and they still get frequent play, $20 yoyo that holds up against a $120 metal yoyo. Also super fun to throw the green one with a blacklight

3 Likes

^Well there’s no doubt that the Protostar has been “in stock a while”!

2 Likes

I always come back to it myself, and I’ve got a few fresh ones tucked away :wink:

1 Like

True that lol, probably been in stock for like 9 years now

Same, I’ve got about 40 throws at the moment and probably use my protostar 25% of the time. I really wanna get one of the orange north stars from the first run, also an amazing throw and it has some nostalgia for me

1 Like

I had one of the OG Northstars but I could just never really get along with it. Too heavy for my taste, but it would be cool to still have just for nostalgia. I feel like need to try a new one

2 Likes

Triple it!

1 Like

YYF Legend Wing.

This is a really good wood fixed axle. This is wood’s version of a budget throw. It costs about $10 and comes in several finishes. I have several nicer wood throws but this still gets regular use. For this price everyone should have one even if you don’t have much interest in fixed axle at the moment.

5 Likes

^Totally agree. The Legend Wing is one of my favorites!

1 Like

I will second that notion, Old Yoer! I love the old school throws and finding the yoyos that have faded into memory. I have an old Cerberus that I got with some oxidation on the rims and I would like to get another sometime to squirrel away (and hopefully this post won’t help undermine that plan). I’d like to add the YoyoJam Big Ben to that as an all plastic under $20 throw. Honestly, I figured both of these yoyos would have been bulky and clumsy because of their size and would have been just a novelty, but they both perform extremely well, though they might be harder to work with in some freestyle moves that involve very small and tight maneuvers. The Big Ben is one of my favorite all plastic throws and has a comparable spin time and stability to Cerberus or the Dark Magic 2 so long as it has a decent bearing in it. As an added bonus the one they still have in stock should look pretty good under blacklight (neon yellow). They may not win contests anymore, but they’re both still fun throws and they aren’t making any more of them!

A couple that aren’t YoyoJam that I’m surprised they didn’t get mentioned are the Yoyofactory Role Play and the Orb by sOmething. They originally were $75 and $50 respectively and both were marked down to $25 and have been selling, but not as fast as I would have expected. For the price, the Role Play is a “better deal” monetarily and both play well, but I was stunned by how much better the Orb seemed to play and I was even more shocked that there’s still a handful of these yoyos in stock several months after being marked down. The Orb is worth buying just for the konkave bearing, but in my own opinion, it was far better than the Role Play. I tried both with the plan to get a duplicate of whichever one was better (one for show and one for throw) and I ended up going with a duplicate of the Orb. Both are kind of old school, so you won’t likely be learning finger spins on them, but they’re both fantastic for someone who is still learning advanced tricks and is trying to improve their unresponsive play with something that will play smoother at the price of something you might get as a beater.

The Big Ben is a great choice too for all the reasons you mentioned. It’s amazing how many gems are almost stealthily still in stock. And YYE must have the largest collection of yoyos for sale on the planet so looking through it I’m always finding something new (or old).

I’ve got about 3 Big Bens floating around. I’ve always loved them. Mine are clear and painted, 2 by John Higby.

When I received the Daydream in a mystery box, it immediately reminded me of the Big Ben. The Daydream seems to get a lot of hate, but I dig it, and to me it actually seems like the Big Ben 2.0, as I think the response, set gap, and center track are improvements over the Big Ben setup.

Nevertheless, the Big Ben still puts a smile on my face whenever I dig it up, and I’m glad I have both yoyos.

2 Likes

The Daydream reminds me of the Big Ben too. I enjoy throwing both and while I don’t necessarily consider one better than the other, I agree that the Daydream has some updates to its design that make it more of a match to today’s trends. However, I also find the Big Ben to be more comfortable in the hand and on a catch and I feel like I have a little more control over it when I throw.

I’m not exactly in the loop on all the latest yoyo trends and gossip, but I have seen some negative feedback on it. I’m not sure why the Daydream gets hate either. My Daydream had a lot of vibe straight out of the package, but I was able to fix the problem easily by trading bearings. I think it had mostly to do with how the bearing was set at the factory. If that’s the worst of its faults I don’t think it deserves a bad reputation. I’m glad to have both in my collection as well and find both to be well worth the price.

2 Likes

The Big Ben is really fun. I’m jealous of your collection! :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, it looks kinda generic. Yeah, it only comes in solids. Yeah, the shape doesn’t seem too striking at first glance. Nobody’s really talking about it.

But hear me out, because I’m here to tell you the YYWS Halyard 2.0 is kind of … unexpectedly awesome.

I got one of these in a bulk collection buy and I didn’t even recognize what it was, so I was expecting nothing when I picked it up but… the Halyard 2.0 has a really interesting personality that is immediately apparent when you play it. The shape isn’t quite like anything else in my collection, it’s got some cool funky ridges on the edges and cup steps … and it’s overall just a delightful combination of rim weight and zippiness.

Honestly it reminds me a bit of an organic-ed out brother from another Kuntosh. And that’s a big compliment in my book! If you were looking for something off the beaten path that’s interesting and has been in stock a while… I’d say the Halyard 2.0 could be your huckleberry.

(Unrelated but possibly of interest: I also got a YYWS Capstan recently which I did want because it’s one of the rare non-onedrops that is compatible with side effects… and it is similarly far more interesting to play than you’d think by looking at it. My respect for YYWS has… increased :wink: )

6 Likes

The problem is… they released the Flux which is this 10× … especially in the O shape arena. Can’t say enough great things about the Flux. Easily my favorite Mythril!

Sadly I cannot co-sign this one. Yeah it’s cheap and all but… I’d go for almost any other wood fixed axle over the Wing. Honestly I think I am too much of a wood snob, I figure wood has to be xxxtra artisanal to be interesting these days and in a world of Tom Kuhns and Ehs and Hildys and so on… I just can’t get behind the wing. Maybe I’m spoiled. :confused:

3 Likes

Someone recommend a good looper for ya boy right here?
Not planning on doing double handed 2A - just wanna practice looping on my throw-hand to help get my regens stronger for 1A

Is responsive with a ball bearing the way to go? Or is a fixed axle? I don’t have a clue about looping throws so please school me

1 Like