Buffalo / Western New York Meetup: 8/7/22

Anyone know if there are any active clubs in Buffalo or WNY? Or any planned New York State competitions?

From what I’ve been able to find, BFLYO has disbanded and there aren’t any active clubs/events in Buffalo or WNY.

1 Like

I’m relatively new to this hobby but I would be interested in a club in the Buffalo/Rochester area

1 Like

Come out to National Yo-Yo Day Buffalo on Wednesday, June 6, from 6:00-7:30 PM at Hotel Henry. Free admission. Yo-Yo perfomances, demonstrations, stories, etc.

Thanks for the reminder, I completely forgot! For anyone else interested, here’s the details from Hotel Henry’s site:

Come and enjoy performances, demonstrations, and stories about the second oldest toy in the world! Few may realize that National Yo-Yo Day has its roots in Western New York.

The first National Yo-Yo Day started in Arcade, New York in 1990. Of local interest, yo-yos were produced by the Hummingbird Toy Company and What’s Next yo-yo companies in Arcade, from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.

June 6th was chosen to be the date because that is the supposed birthday of Donald Duncan, Sr. who was very influential in the yo-yo world. This year, if his year of birth of 1892 is correct, will be the 126th anniversary of his birth! Come celebrate National Yo-Yo Day and wish Mr. Duncan a happy birthday!

National Yo-Yo Day Buffalo 2019!

Come out to RiverWorks on Thursday, June 6, 2019, from 6:00-7:30 PM to celebrate National Yo-Yo Day. Free performances and demonstrations.

Anyone know of a person interested in a yo yo demonstration for a group of Cub Scouts in the Williamsville area? Perhaps spend an hour or so teaching boys a new hobby and earning a new badge recently announced by the scouts?

If you need someone to demonstrate/teach yo-yoing in Williamsville, I can arrange that. Feel free to contact me at Claudiajlee3@gmail.com.

2 Likes

Welcome to the YYE forums @Wall_Bracelet!

I was just wondering the same with it being less than two weeks out. I haven’t found anything on the various Buffalo event sites and know covid has caused some of the previous locations to change ownership as well.

Not sure if @Yoyosparky123 is still active here and knows anymore as I know he was involved in the past though I’m open to a meetup if others are interested.

1 Like

Hello this is YoyoSparky123. Two of us organized the National Yo-Yo Day Buffalo events in 2017, 2018, and 2019, and due to the pandemic, no events were planned for 2020, 2021, and 2022. If anyone interested in yo-yoing would ever like to get together, we welcome that. Feel free to contact me.

1 Like

Hey, All. I live in Rochester and would love to meet up.

I just reached out to Dazzling Dave, today in fact, as he is somewhere in Buffalo on June 16th.

1 Like

That would be great if we could coordinate a visit with Dazzling Dave, so maybe we start there and see where and when works for him?

Unless next Monday (yoyo day) is better for others? Tbh, my schedule is pretty packed coming up so I hope I don’t miss Dave if we can all get together soon. :pensive:

Delaware Park is likely a good central spot in Buffalo, but I’m open to other suggestions and venues if anyone has an in anywhere.

Correction. 6/15 Dave has a performance in Buffalo. Public Library @ 12:30. I would love to see his show but I assume most of us are working.

I say let’s meet on the 6th.

1 Like

Ah yea, that’s a no-can-do for me during the day, plus I’m busy that evening as well. I’m up for a meetup next Monday and open to suggestions depending on who else is interested for the time/location.

I know of one other gentleman in Rocheter. I’ll reach out.

Maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle like Batavia. I am up for a meet either way for national yo-yo day! Exciting because I’ve never thrown with anybody else. I’ve been at it for a couple years and Am excited to meet others.

1 Like

Details for the next Buffalo/WNY Meetup:

Who/what: for those interested to meet others with the same passion, trade tricks/throws/strings, etc.
When: June 6, 2022 at 6:00pm (national yoyo day)
Where: Austin Park in Batavia

With this being a new spot and new faces, we’re aiming to hold this rain/shine with the park having a large pavilion. If anything changes, info will be updated prior to 5pm on Monday.

1 Like

So far I think we have 3 maybe 4! Who else would like to join us?

1 Like

Boy has it been a wild and busy summer! We’re hoping to keep these ongoing monthly based on interest, but for now, here’s the latest for the upcoming WNYoyo Club (working title):

When: August 7, 2022 at 2:00pm
Where: DeWitt Recreational Center Updated: Lions Park https://maps.app.goo.gl/BcppeL6ra8G2E7t8A
Who/what: for those interested to meet others with the same passion, trade tricks/throws/strings, etc.

Last month’s meetup (June) was held at in Batavia at Austin Park. Fortunately, there’s a large pavilion that saved us as we had some surprise showers, but we made the best of it!

I will confirm details at least 24hrs prior to pending weather, location, etc. Feel free to PM me if you’ve got any questions! All ages and skill levels are welcome!

2 Likes

Updated the location for tomorrow’s meetup, hoping to see some new and familiar faces!

Apologies for the last minute change, DeWitt was filled and this new park is right around the corner with some shade:

Lions Park