Please help me fix my iyoyo iceberg!

I must have tightened it too much after lubricating the bearing because the bearing doesn’t spin anymore. Yes I’ve tried other bearings and those bearings in other yo-yos. I think the metal may have dug into the polycarbonate just enough to make the bearing stuck. I need to know if there is a spacer or something that may be compatible and still play similarly. Or some other kind of fix. Such a good yo-yo just sitting here wasting away. It’s a shame.

Hmm, interesting problem. The first idea that came to my mind is using YoyoJam shims. Yoyoexpert still has the gray ones in stock and they can be pretty useful if you need a little more gap or if you have an aggressive response system, but you’d want to make sure you aren’t making a gap between the bearing and the yoyo’s wall that the string could fall off the bearing.

I don’t have an Iceberg and I’ve not encountered this problem before, but I’m familiar with this type of yoyo design. It looks like a lot of old YoyoJam models that had a solid spin axle, both of which which have a metal edge that the inside of the bearing is seated on so that the outer part of the bearing can spin freely when the yoyo is tightened down. The metal housing penetrates to the outside hub of the yoyo. If the yoyo is overtightened, that metal housing might have been pushed in so that this “bearing seat” is flush with the rest of the plastic and so that the finger spin dimple on the outside is pushed out a little. When the yoyo is tightened, the bearing sits lower and may be locked in place. If this is what happened, a YYJ shim may fix this or you might be able to push that axle housing back in the right place if it has indeed moved. I think some people that have had this problem with YYJ yoyos have successfully used a drop of superglue on the outside side of the hub to keep their solid spin axle in place. This may help you, but someone else with more experience with iYoYos in particular may be able to help you better.

Did you buy it from us? If so, send an email or give us a call and we’d be happy to take a look at it for you.

4 Likes

Any luck with this? Same thing happened me today. The hub is sitting out and the bearing seat is flush with the plastic meaning the outer race is not free to spin. Did the shims work?

1 Like

So from the outside - you can see the hub sticking out? Can you push it back into place from the outside pushing inwards?

Tried this. It’s just sitting out very slightly. Tried screwing yoyo together with no bearing and pulling to try and pull hub back in but no luck. I’ll try again tomorrow. Gonna order some yoyo jam shims. Might be enough to lift the bearing away from the plastic. It’s perfect on the other half of the yoyo.

Can you possibly post a picture from the outside showing how far it is sticking out (if its easy enough for you to do?)

3 Likes

It’s very hard to see. But you can feel a lip with your fingernail.

1 Like

Can you send a picture of the bearing seat as well?

1 Like

Helped him to fix it via Facebook. The hub got pushed in back with a press and wood tool.

For everyone who may be concerned about quality: we sold thousands of iCEBERGs and this is the first time we had this issue. Darren‘s version is a prototype for an upcoming iCEBERG Update, so QC may not be as strict as with our batch production :wink:

9 Likes

Oo an update? Is there anything you can tell us now? I just bought one. Wondering if I should have held off… Or maybe get two.

Thank you Dave. The iceberg prototype is back to playing perfectly. I’ll say no more but you guys will love it. I’m pretty sure it happened cos I probably dinged it.

Absolutely no concerns about manufacturers quality. Iyoyo are fantastic company and their Yo-Yos are top quality. I have 4. Highly recommended.

1 Like

Get 2. I have original as well. But get the new one when it comes out.

1 Like

I am reviving this thread because my iceberg has had this issue. I should clearly state that this happened because of operator error and there was no issue with it until recently. My iceberg looks very similar to the photo that was posted above. Does anyone have a good method to fix this?

Try sending @DaveGeigle a message, he runs iYoyo.

I would try pushing it back in with an arbor press if you have access to one, or tapping it back into place with a light hammer and a soft punch such as a wooden dowel.

If you try that, make sure the yoyo is supported by the body underneath so the hub is free to slide. Maybe place it inside a drinking cup or other round container so the hub area is suspended?

Ivan

1 Like

Those are great ideas that I will have to try. I do no have any access to an arbor press, but I will have to try that hammer idea. It is sort of the reverse process of how the hub got messed up in the first place.

If you bought it from us I’d be happy to take a look at it and see what we can do to fix it. Just send me a message.