Difference in play between C and D bearing?

All of my yo-yos are C bearings, if I bought a D bearing yo-yo, would I notice much of a difference in how it plays? Would it be easier/harder to do certain type of tricks? Thanks 8)

1 Like

I can feel a slight difference in binds between C and A, but I have never tried a D bearing yoyo. Apparently d bearings spin “faster” (I think I read that on hspin’s site) and C bearings generally have a wider gap

Frankly it’s the whole package working together in most cases, since the design includes the bearing and the shell. I don’t think you can pick up a given yoyo and tell what bearing is in it, especially going from a C to a D. Maybe you can from a C to an A.

2 Likes

I miss my yoyojoker perceptor you could swap the bearing seats to change the bearing size from d to c. The shape and bearing size worked well for me. Thinking about grabbing a canary
Edit: good comparisons would be the PP Noodle and the YYJ* Perceptor. I agree with the other comments that the bearing size is most noticeable in binds

*yoyojoker not yoyojam

-bbdave-

Agree.
I only fell slight difference in bind characteristic in certain situation. D bearing yoyo binds a bit tighter.

I have a modified Hitman by Takeshi. Hitman shell with Duncan Avenger “A” bearing assembly, and silicone response. Playing back to back with a stock Hitman I don’t see much difference. On the other hand, I have a Spintastics Tiger Shark where I’ve installed a “C” bearing using an SPR. I much prefer that over the stock Tiger Shark which used a bearing similar in size to the “A” bearing. In this case it’s not quite an apples to apples comparison though as the stock Tiger Sharks uses a starburst response and the the SPR system uses a friction sticker for response.

(I believe the perceptor was made by yoyojoker.)

Sorry yea that’s Yoyojoker. Also had another throw with the same system forgot the name though.

-bbdave-

Looks like there were/are several:

Stigma looks pretty crazy! I was not buying yoyos at the time, so I’d never seen it before.

The only yoyo I have with a d bearing is my hspin pyro. I think the overall design of the yoyo itself affects the play more than the bearing, but I’ve never had an apples to apples comparison where the only difference was the bearing.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s a lot more difference between either C or D, and A; than between C and D. My Oxy 4 was my favorite yoyo for a good while.

I think the biggest thing is the angular momentum difference.

Angular momentum: v=I*ω
Moment of inertia of a solid cylinder (for simplicity’s sake): I=(1/2)mr^2 where m is the mass and r is the radius about the axis of rotation.
Angular velocity: ω=ϴ/t where ϴ is the angular displacement and t is time.

Substituting: v=(1/2)m(r^2)*(Ď´/t)

The most important variable is the radius. A ‘larger’ ball bearing will have a greater angular momentum, so it’ll spin longer (theoretically; and that’s not accounting for the increased mass).

Though I’m not sure how the radius differences compare with differences in the velocity calculation. A smaller bearing will reach point ϴ faster than a larger bearing will.

Maybe someone can shed some more light on this; it’s been a few years since I’ve taken core physics :smiley:

My Duncan Magnetude has an A-bearing and it feels like it spins more powerfully compared to something with a C-bearing. I’m sure part of it is design, though.

1 Like

Back in 2008 or 2009 SPYY did the Skyy Chaser in both D and C bearing versions. It was cool to get to play two yoyos that were identical other than the bearing size. As you might expect, the D bearing felt like it spun a little faster, but the gap on the C bearing version was wider (4mm vs. 3.8mm), which has it’s upsides too. All things equal, there’s not a huge difference in these two … but a .2mm wider gap is a 5% difference, which ain’t nothin’.

I agree, by the way LinksLegionaire, that A bearing yoyos feel more powerful than C bearing, though when you factor in gap differences that doesn’t doesn’t necessarily translate to more spin time - especially if you don’t keep the yoyo in plane. One thing going on is that when an A bearing yoyos is wound up, the string is wrapped around the bearing more times given the smaller diameter.

1 Like

I was treating it as an ideal situation (same yoyo, yoyo’s tilt is perfectly parallel to the throw plane, string perfectly in the center of the bearing, etc.), though it may as well be modeled without a yoyo at all.

Very true. Perhaps this is why smaller bearings have a more ‘powerful’ throw?

1 Like

I think so. The yoyo I’ve played the most in both A and C versions is the FHZ. A silicone recessed FHZ with the sticker lips removed is a thing of beauty. But I’ve never liked modified C bearing FHZs in comparison. They don’t spin as powerfully - and it’s really noticeable. The advantages, though, are that if you’re sloppy, the C bearing version is more forgiving because of the wider gap, and the C bearing FHZs are easier to save when they’re running out of spin. But otherwise, the A bearing version feels way more ballsy and the narrower gap makes them easier to regen too.