Hildy Brothers The Currier

The yoyo has holes in the body which appear to be there for response. Except for some TK models I haven’t see response systems wooden fixed axle yoyos. Are they a help or a hindrance in this case. One review says that spin time is low. Is this possibly due to the response? Has anyone filled these in?

My homemade yo-yos and OUT yo-yos use response holes. In theory they should only help spin time because the wound up string can squeeze in there so you get tighter winds and impart more spin on the throw.

If they’re really rough I suppose it could rub against the string while spinning, but I would rather have them than not.

I don’t want to be 100% conclusive, but those are my thoughts.

My experience with fixed axle is primarily with TK, BC and kalmartrissan yoyos that rely primarily on the wooden axle to provide the response, with some probably coming from the side walls as well. It just strikes me that adding the holes equates to playing a FHZ with two friction stickers instead of one, giving too much response. Also my trick repertoire is primarily old school legacy type tricks, which may influence my reaction here.

Various TMBR yoyos used the same (or at least similar) response style.

1 Like

I know. Seems to be popular now. My question is why, and is it necessary.

1 Like

I’ve experemented a lot with response in making yoyos.

The drilled holes help a lot for getting the right response as long as they are positioned correctly. I find that too far away from the axle they are near useless and the closer to the axle the better. Also, if they are too deep it can contribute to snagging.

As long as they are drilled in the right place, smoothly without too much depth, they do not affect the smoothness of the yoyo and give reliable response. Done properly and sanded, they should also not contribute significantly to string wear.

I have found my HB Currier to have really reliable response with its dimple system, but the spin time was really low for a fixed axle. It possibly comes down to the material they used for the axle, and the fact that it is slightly thicker than average.

I really do think that the Currier is a very high quality made yoyo though.

2 Likes

Just to add to my last post, while the drilled holes around the axle help with response and tight winding, It’s also very possible to get decent response without any holes or dimples of any kind drilled.

I have found that a thicker axle around 7mm or more made of a finely textured, closed grain wood can give ample response alone as long as the gap is set right.

2 Likes