Customer Service      FAQ      Email Sign Up      My Account      View Cart     
YoYoExpert Forums
December 11, 2017, 04:09:44 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Forums!  Try out our new and improved chat room!

Home   Chat Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Yo - from General to Captain?  (Read 658 times)
SwissArmyTenor
Trade Count: (22)

United States United States

Fav. Yo-Yo: Superyo Typhoon - nostalgia
Fav. Trick: Gyroscopic Flop

Thank You
-Given: 78
-Receive: 11

View Profile Email
« on: December 06, 2017, 02:57:24 PM »

A few years ago, it seemed General Yo was one of the very top yoyos made, and I agree, they were great.

I got out of yoing for a few years, and when I came back, it was clear that General Yo no longer *seemed* nearly as highly regarded/talked about as it was.

I've done some thinking/ideas about it.  Was hoping some folks here would reply with their thinking (w/out yet posting my own - yet) to see if it matches my own.  I'll post my thoughts after a few replies, might be interesting to compare.

Full disclosure, I've not read or heard anything on this subject, yet. 

Thanks in advance!

Theology matters
Glenacius K
Trade Count: (30)

Australia Australia

Fav. Yo-Yo: Spinworthy Harbinger
Fav. Trick: Stop 'n' Go

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:48:55 PM »

Funny, I was thiking about this yesterday.

General Yo still bring out some great yoyos, they just seem like they just aren't as great as some of the releases from a few years ago and before.

I don't know what others think, but to me, this was marked by the release of the Legato. The shape of it looked distinctly Gen-Yo,  but something about the finish looked distinctly Chinese to me. Then I found out that distinct made in China look was indeed because it was made in China.

This does not mean necessarily that there is any significant drop in quality, but it was immediately obvious to me from looking at the yoyo. The surface had a shinier look rather than that lovely matte Gen-Yo finish. Also, something about the colours looked more like Chinese than USA made.

It's hard to explain and could all just be purely my perception (apart from the fact it is indeed made in China).

This may be a reason why they could maybe not as highly regarded?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:27:31 PM by Glenacius K » Logged

Yoyofficer team member
KiLbUcK
Trade Count: (34)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Duncan Velvet
Fav. Trick: Trying to constitute every new YoYo to my wife.

Thank You
-Given: 145
-Receive: 151

Highly Carnivorous

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 04:07:50 PM »

掷骰子   Undecided
YoyoGeezer
Trade Count: (109)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Ti Walker, Draupnir
Fav. Trick: The one I can't quite get.

Thank You
-Given: 227
-Receive: 379

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:11:08 PM »

I got out of yoing for a few years, and when I came back, it was clear that General Yo no longer *seemed* nearly as highly regarded/talked about as it was.

Times change and industries evolve. General-Yo was known for making "smooth" yo-yo's; back in the day when being "smooth" somehow equated to being "good". Both the industry and consumers have moved forward.

The designs and machining that Ernie was known for became both immaterial to the consumer and a commodity. Look at the landscape today. I can get a butter-smooth, 7068 yo-yo for under $50. A bi-metal for $70. This means that General-Yo needs to compete primarily on design and outsource the production just to compete.

For an essentially one man show, I think he has done a remarkably good job evolving his products along with the industry. General-Yo makes single and bi-metal designs that can play with the best around. Not too bad for a company that has faced so much new competition, over so many years.
Grendel
Trade Count: (10)

Fav. Yo-Yo: BSP,MG,SOV,Magnum
Fav. Trick: Grendel Slide

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 70

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:40:53 PM »

Times change and industries evolve. General-Yo was known for making "smooth" yo-yo's; back in the day when being "smooth" somehow equated to being "good". Both the industry and consumers have moved forward.

The designs and machining that Ernie was known for became both immaterial to the consumer and a commodity. Look at the landscape today. I can get a butter-smooth, 7068 yo-yo for under $50. A bi-metal for $70. This means that General-Yo needs to compete primarily on design and outsource the production just to compete.

For an essentially one man show, I think he has done a remarkably good job evolving his products along with the industry. General-Yo makes single and bi-metal designs that can play with the best around. Not too bad for a company that has faced so much new competition, over so many years.
You don't know Ernie. Don't speak for him, you don't have the right. But you love to come across as some freaking expert.
Shut up.
YoYoExpert Garrett
Administrator
Trade Count: (7)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Changes pretty often.
Fav. Trick: Whatever I just learned.

Thank You
-Given: 134
-Receive: 636

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »

Why the hostility here? It's cool you're friends with Ernie, but YoYoGeezer didn't say one single negative thing about General Yo or Ernie, he even complimented his designs and how he's evolved the business...

And honestly, his thoughts on the subject aren't wrong.  He made some good points.  Relax.
stevejspins
Trade Count: (3)

Fav. Yo-Yo: General Yo
Fav. Trick: Fundamentals

Thank You
-Given: 42
-Receive: 29

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »

3 of my 6 yo-yos are General Yo's.
Didn't want to part with them when I sold stuff off.

Would get a Legato, but have little $ now.
SwissArmyTenor
Trade Count: (22)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Superyo Typhoon - nostalgia
Fav. Trick: Gyroscopic Flop

Thank You
-Given: 78
-Receive: 11

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 12:08:38 PM »

I think some of the things I was mulling over about GY weren't exactly correct.  I had some thoughts about the yoyo industry catching up with GY (and in some cases, passing them).  While this may be true to some extent, but likely not as much as I had previously wondered.  

GY's output seems on the smaller side, and number of options providing good quality, innovation and cost is really growing, so they are not quite as unique in that regard as they once were (though still an excellent choice).

Personally, I love 'em.

Theology matters
YoyoGeezer

Thank You

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 01:39:54 PM »

You don't know Ernie. Don't speak for him, you don't have the right. But you love to come across as some freaking expert.
Shut up.

Sorry if I offended somehow. I re-read my comment. Not sure where I "spoke" for General Yo. I have met Ernie in the past, so I know that he is the guy behind General-Yo. I think that gives me the right to use common-knowledge; like his name, in association with the company he runs. What possible offence have you taken?

I am also not sure what a "freaking expert" on this subject would be. I have been buying and selling yo-yo's (lots of them General-Yo) for many years now. That is the basis of my comments; not some claim to inside knowledge or information.
major_seventh
Trade Count: (38)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Legato
Fav. Trick: Flowy stuff with lots of string hits

Thank You
-Given: 1830
-Receive: 457

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 03:10:08 PM »

Used to be All American Made.  Changed to All American Design. 

Doesn't quite ring the same way.

Someone
jhb8426
Administrator
Trade Count: (6)

Fav. Yo-Yo: YoyoMa
Fav. Trick: Telling her she's the only one

Thank You
-Given: 2877
-Receive: 2085

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 07:39:43 PM »

Used to be All American Made.  Changed to All American Design.  

Doesn't quite ring the same way.

Read the labels on most major brand items these days. Most are "Made under license..." and a lot are "Made in (somewhere other that the USA)." Very little made by the brand owner. Yes, quite disconcerting, as they say...

”I get the urge for going but I never seem to go...
Summertime is falling down winter's closing in"
hobbygod
Trade Count: (0)

Fav. Yo-Yo: bassalope

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 13

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 09:04:48 PM »

I love general yo regardless.  Been one of my favorite companies for years.  Own some older throws of his and some.of his newer ones.  His designs are still great.  I do miss the old finish.  Felt like smooth sand on a grind.  Still great yoyos though no matter where they're made.

Sent from my SM-G950U using YoYoExpert mobile app

yoyodoc
Professional
Trade Count: (20)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Generalyo Ministar 2
Fav. Trick: Turbo encapsulator

Thank You
-Given: 169
-Receive: 2529

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 06:06:44 AM »

I really like Chinese food.... And it’s not even made in China🤓

I didn’t see a single sentence in Yoyogeezers’ post that seemed out of line at all.

His statements sounded very logical and reasonable to me. And I have been around yo-yos for almost 20 years now.

And I have known Ernie from about the time his first yoyo came out.

I’m not even going to rehash anything any of you guys have been talking about...

But I will submit something very pertinent to the, ‘What happened to Ernie and his General Yo’ situation.

Ernie changed jobs awhile back. His current job duties take up a lot of his time and energy.

He is not Compelled to make yo-yos. Selling yo-yos is not necessary for him to afford to eat 3 times a day.

He has nothing to prove to anybody. We already know how much of a perfectionist he is; regardless of where his yo-yos are made.

Ernie spends many hours at his primary source of income ‘job’. And he likes to unwind after work: riding his Harley and playing his Many guitars.

He still loves yo-yos and designing yo-yos.

Because he has prioritized his focus and energy; he doesn’t get demoted from General to Captain.

He is the same man...... he has just altered his plans somewhat.

Ive never met a nicer guy. And sharper than a razor blade.

And I wouldn’t care if my 3 Legatos would have been delivered in a bowl of chicken fried rice.

Ernie turns out first rate throws.

Period.

Fact is stranger than fiction
da5id
Manufacturer
Trade Count: (0)

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 456

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 02:48:56 PM »

Why the hostility here? It's cool you're friends with Ernie, but YoYoGeezer didn't say one single negative thing about General Yo or Ernie, he even complimented his designs and how he's evolved the business...

And honestly, his thoughts on the subject aren't wrong.  He made some good points.  Relax.

I disagree this his comments are a correct assessment of what has happened in the high-end yoyo segment over the last 10 years.    It's a few vague broad stroke sentences that don't really mean anything.   For example what does "smooth" mean?  Why the quotes?  And if "smooth" is no longer relevant to the consumer, why does he then note that you can get "butter-smooth" (no quotes) yoyos now?   Is butter-smooth different from "smooth"?   And as someone who works for YYE, you well know that smooth is still very important to yoyoers. 

Perhaps the whole thing is a lot more nuanced and complicated than what can be described in a few sentences.    I have a different perspective and experience, obviously, but I would write a much different story about what has happened.

I do like that we can have this conversation.  It's a good topic.
YoyoGeezer

Thank You

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 03:51:51 PM »

I disagree this his comments are a correct assessment of what has happened in the high-end yoyo segment over the last 10 years.    It's a few vague broad stroke sentences that don't really mean anything.   For example what does "smooth" mean?  Why the quotes?  And if "smooth" is no longer relevant to the consumer, why does he then note that you can get "butter-smooth" (no quotes) yoyos now?   Is butter-smooth different from "smooth"?   And as someone who works for YYE, you well know that smooth is still very important to yoyoers.  

Perhaps the whole thing is a lot more nuanced and complicated than what can be described in a few sentences.    I have a different perspective and experience, obviously, but I would write a much different story about what has happened.

I do like that we can have this conversation.  It's a good topic.

Are we having a conversation? I hardly think so. Too many One Drop Bronies grinding their ax for that.

Besides, no one said my assessment was correct; just that some good points were made. Perhaps you missed that in your haste to attack me; apparently just for the sake of it.

Too bad the original topic is lost in all of this nonsense.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: