One Drop Project: 10th Anniversary

I agree. I miss pads. Only problem with pads is they’re all different sizes. We need a universal pad size, sort of like the 19mm is for silicone grooves atm.

Indeed. They have the best prices… probably.

It has already been done.
For a few years OneDrop has produced Project celebratory series, 30-piece series, soda-blasted finish, clear color and identical packaging …

I know, it seems appropriate for it to continue.

ok, but it just seems to be a little thing to celebrate a 10-year anniversary.
I would hope for something better.

I would hope they do something in November, but if they do not, they have more than proven their dedication to our community.

1 Like

they are to do (or not) what they want.
they must not proven anything or have any obligations with anyone.

1 Like

Sure, they have a great variety of raw materials, I just don’t believe that their materials and production quality are all that good. No Chinese made yoyo has compared favourably to an American or Japanese made yoyo in quality. They’re certainly not bad yoyos at all, but I know that their aluminium and production quality is not quite as good as others. Possibly their quality control isn’t all that flash. The biggest issue I have with Chinese made yoyos is the axle tolerances. I wish all yoyos would screw together as silky smooth and perfectly as Onedrop yoyos do.

2 Likes

I like the name Project X. If that is within OneDrop’s intentions, I hope they adopt that name.

I’ve actually never owned a non-OneDrop that unscrews, so I’ve never ever even had to deal with that.

I’m sorry but I do not think so, and it’s not a matter of thoughts but of facts.
I own many Chinese yo-yo and in none (none of them) I find the problems you talk about.
The most impressive is certainly the Magicyoyo Stealth, a yoyo in Ergal (7075) with SS rings (temperate) purchased in a European Store at 46 €!
Play perfectly, it’s a quality yoyo, produced with quality machines and materials, if I think of the pleasure that this yoyo wonders for me, what unbelievable reason I’ve bought in the past for similar products 4-5 times more expensive? (… Draupnir, Musashi, etc.)
Other yoyo chinese I would never separate, Aoda Pyramide, awesome yoyo, no surface finish but thanks to its shape is one of the best grinder I have, its weight is adequate and distributed so that it makes it very stable.
Let’s go to the copies of the YYR that I own and that I can compare with the other original ones … you will be amazed to know it but I prefer to play with copies of the Sleipnir 63 grams. in 6061 than with the “true” of 2009.
Overdrives and acrophobia in 6061, have nothing less (qualitatively speaking) than the original ones.
Where do you think are products popular yoyo same Turning Point, Luftverk, (and I think, too many Yoyorecreation), etc. etc? but for they Brands all recognize the unquestionable quality of construction.
Do you have a Compass? a Manatee? Do you find that they are worse than an Avalanche or a Borealis?
Do you think they do not have a good finish for grinding (how is it easy for the Caribou, even those produced by OneDrop?).
Do you think colors like Summertide or BerryMelt are not up to the colorways that have led to CLYW’s success?
you answer sincerely.
And do you really think that the company that manages these third party products is not capable of doing just as well with its own hypothetical brand?
The OneDrops are great yoyo, but many others are at their level.
Finally, I read from your signature that you belong to a Team, do you think those things about yoyo that you sponsor? Because they don’t seem to be produced in Scandinavia.

I’m not a fan of Chinese yoyo but I’m big enough not to fall in to some prejudices. quality can be in every corner of the world (go to give an eye to what Hicoo produced a decade ago) and prices are influenced by so many factors (many of which do not depend on who produces) but it is wrong to generalize to simplify things.

You are so clueless when it comes to us.

We would rather be out of business than outsource. End of story.

11 Likes

I didn’t say Chinese made yoyos are bad, just that American and Japanese made are better quality.

for what have been my experiences, I don’t agree, I have argued.
We come back to the topic.

Since when were any yoyos these days & a decade back made in Scandinavia? ???

It’s true, Geezer is pretty clueless when it comes to how and why we do what we do. If he would just do some additional research, he would be convinced that our business model is the right one. And that our attention to detail and great design both shows and appears to be the way to cultivate this growing market in a cost efficient manner.

About the only threat he could find is the possibility of manufacturing breakthroughs that make CNC yo-yos impractical from a cost point of view. But I point out - we have many other ideas to fall back on. That makes our business model much more dynamic than anything that others could offer.

3 Likes

Dear Da5id and The Machinist,
Your business model is rad, and so are the yoyos you guys develop and machine.

It’s wicked that you guys don’t cut corners to make more money with B.S. like tapered bearing posts that result in a yoyo that will eventually cease to be smooth and develop galling issues like so many of the yoyos produced in China.

It’s a real privilege in this day of outsourcing and soulless supply chains to have the option of buying yoyos from a company that supports the local economy and other local businesses, and is interested in producing a high quality product that they stand by, even if it means less profit.

Thanks so much for all that you guys do for the community. Much love,
JRod

11 Likes

it was just a joke … :wink:

This. One drop has been amazing to me and the community for years now. There’s 0 reason to not like them.

…and…back on topic…Yeah, I kind of like the idea of the Project X name thingie, it’s got that 1980’s B52s Planet X feel to it… :smiley:

db

I imagine OD would have no problem selling, while charging what they would need to make a profit, a limited run anniversary Project themed bimetal.

Titanium?

7068 Aluminum? I’ve been wondering if they’ve tinkered with that…