How do people ship yo-yos for cheap!?

I just go to the UPS people ask them to package my yoyo in their box and mail it using the postal service and that still costs me 14-15$(this includes shipping which is usually 5 bucks but the box and the packing material costs too!). How do you guys ship it for cheaper? Like am I missing something?

I think the most I’ve paid is $6.00, including insurance. I have a selection of boxes, including the USPS priority boxes. I usually wrap them in brown paper and send them first class/insured which is generally cheaper than priority and takes about the same time. If you don’t wrap their box it will go at the priority rate.

Priority flat rate boxes. 7 bucks these days for a box suitable for several.

I find my own boxes, make my own or keep ones from other people’s shipments. I pack them in newspaper. All of those options cost nothing for packaging (all the items would get recycled otherwise). I normally get whatever the cheapest shipping option is (don’t know what it’s called) then I add insurance sometimes. In the U.S. my cost ranges from $2.67-7 normally for any packages of just a few yoyos or less.

I buy 4" cubic boxes from Staples in bulk. It’s ~$3.25 to ship one yoyo in there.

1 Like

What does this even mean(sorry Im not from the US). I know shipping costs 5-7 bucks. But I need to buy the box itself too right?

If you are in the U.S. you can get the boxes for free at the post office. Don’t know the practices elsewhere. For that matter, everything people are telling you here applies to the USPS so it more than likely does not apply if you are not here.

1 Like

Oh I am in the US. But I just go to UPS(which charges you for boxes) which is on my college campus and figured that usps would be the same. Thanks for the info!!

The cheapest if your sending like one or two is putting it in a padded and putting something soft in it where it won’t bump each other and scratch it up that’s what I send by if you are in the U.S. just send it at a post office

Check out the USPS website

Thats why right there. UPS is expensive. Go to the post office instead (USPS)

1 Like

Agreed. When the op first said ups I misread it as USPS. UPS is definitely more expensive.

And has been stated by others I generally keep smaller boxes that have been sent to me and reuse them.

Here you are. These are the boxes I use. Go to this link, they’ll send you them for free. Just have to use Priority Shipping.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?categoryNavIds=shipping-supplies%3Apriority-mail&categoryNav=false&navAction=push&navCount=0&atg.multisite.remap=false&categoryId=priority-mail&productId=P_O_BOX4

For me, I’m near Chicago, if I’m shipping something less than $50 these boxes with 3-4 yoyos can cost me between $6.85-8 (just depending on weight). I shipped $250 worth of yoyos in one of these boxes, and shipping with insurance was around $12-13.

Of course, you’ll need packaging tape, and some packing material.

1 Like

USPS first class should only cost around $3 for a small box. Also, PayPal multi-order shipping let’s you pay and print your label for your postman to pick up. It saves loads of wasted time at the Post Office.

Here is a useful link…

1 Like

I keep a few boxes and bubble wrap from previous orders, then sent things first class. Costs about $3.25 for a single throw with strings and goodies…

Yeah, don’t use UPS, use the regular post office instead. Provide your own box and use “First Class” postage or use their box with postage included though that’s more expensive.

IF you use First Class, be sure to insure it. Also, make sure the person you are shipping to knows you are using First Class. First class is not treated the same as Priority. I’ve lost a number of packages over the last year, when I’ve used First Class and others have. And if you are shipping something expensive use Priority Mail, and make sure it’s insured.

2 Likes

Yeah what @AaronW said.

You can absolutely get away with $3.50 of stamps for a single yo-yo in a padded envelope (I recommend taking it apart, and putting the axle and bearing in a small plastic bag). For two yo-yos, $4.00 of stamps will cover it. But it will go First Class with no tracking.*

If you are worried, I have sent ~50-100 yo-yos out this way and they always arrive. I had only one exception and it was a guy who was not only moving apartments but also travelling and his mail was being held for him, so I don’t blame USPS for that.

:warning: If you send yo-yos this way, you definitely have to be OK with the “no tracking” part though!

If you do want tracking it’s basically 2x the shipping cost for priority, so … that’s the tradeoff. You pays your money and your makes your choices.

* Obviously, continental US rates only! Probably more for Hawaii or Alaska.

1 Like