What all goes into testing.

We all know yoyos are tested, and tested, and changed and tested some more, and tuned before being sent and ship to suplliers.
My question is this. What all goes into testing? What is everything they look for and test for? I’m looking for as much information about this as possible.
Thank you.

My operation is surely smaller than most, as my only run was pretty small and sold privately. However, the steps are pretty much the same.

My machinist and I spoke a lot about quality control at first. On his end, smoothness is tested and bearing seats are inspected. The anodizer checks for flaws, then they come to me. The machinist said there will be no b-grades, that duds are replaced before shipment. In my first run of 40, there was one b-grade, so I’m certainly not complaining at a 97.5% a-grade rate.

Once I have them, they get an initial once over. I look for any surface damage or ano flaws. Once that’s done, I put a string on a play with each for a minute or two. I’ll unscrew them to make sure opening and closing won’t cause vibe. I’ll make sure the response pads are flush and that the bearing spins freely.

Then they get packaged. Each goes into the package with some foam to keep it in place. I use round metal tins, so the initial fear was that the yoyos would get scratched. To test, I walked the dog on the tins and slammed the yoyo on it a few times (my keeper of course, not one for sale lol). The tin is a soft metal so the yoyo sustains no damage should it touch.

Hope this answered some of your questions!

1 Like