Titanium Peak - A Comprehensive Review ***Updated Sept 5 2017***

Another solid review!

1 Like

Damnit Dust, now I need to get a Ti Peak!

1 Like

As you should! And if it dont jive your turkey, itll be an easy sell on the BST’s methinks.

1 Like

Does it have vibe? I don’t mind the vibe I have, it’s in no way bad, very well playable but just wanted to make sure it’s normal because I kind had super high expectation on it’s smoothness. My cheaper $50 yoyo is so dead smooth, i was rather disappointed to feel the vibe on the peak (i check it by using my nails right at the center of the yoyo to see how the vibe of a yoyo is). Despite that, it is actually the top player in my arsenal. It’s not the most stable in my collection, neither the smoothest, but it has something that I can’t explain… it’s just so fun to play, the shape, the way the color shines and the way it bounces from the string to string is just uncanny, it’s nothing like anything in my collection.

Hopefully I can write a comprehensive review like yours. Your review is very good review. I read your review like 6-8 times … while waiting for my TiPeak to be shipped. XD

1 Like

No vibe…smooth as eel snot

1 Like

What kinda Eel?

An eel is any fish belonging to the order Anguilliformes (/æŋˌɡwɪlɪˈfɔːrmiːz/), which consists of four suborders, 20 families, 111 genera and about 800 species.

:thinking::fearful:

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words! Im glad you found my review helpful.

Mine did have a tiny bit of nail vibe, but nothing that can be felt on the string. VERY minor overall but present. I found it kind of suiting actually. Every peak ive ever thrown had vibe other than my Peak2.

And your right, there is just something special about it that I can quite put my finger on. I still think its a little early to tell, but I could easily see this in my top 5. I just keep reaching for it!

Oh I was referring to the Slime Eel. FYI - it’s actually not an eel at all. A delicacy in some countries, these bottom-dwellers look like small ­e­els. And when agitated, they do indeed produce a very thick and slimy coat of mucous. However, slime eels aren’t eels at all – they’re traditionally known as hagfish. ;D

Oh, I thought you were referring to the Saint Eel, and the snot was some special lube, or silicone it uses.

1 Like

Updated OP with . . . .update? 8)

1 Like

I like the update because it’s good to get to know a yoyo more after the excitement of “wow, new toy!” goes away.

I would guess that the Ti Peak could feel even lighter than the Peak 2 since it is basically the same weight but slightly larger, but is that so? How light and fast does the Ti Peak feel compared to the Peak 2?

(I dig my Peak 2 more now than when I first got it, but I like the weight of the older Peaks better. Because I am older and slower, just like the older Peaks :wink: )

Ok, so I just spent an hour with just the TiPeak and Peak2 going back and fourth with different setups (bearings & strings combos) and there are some differences, and some similarities, depending on setup.

With the same bearing and string, its kinda hard to tell a difference in either speed or weight on the string. Hitting the hand is noticible. The Peak2 feels a tad more compact, thicker somehow. More mass hitting less area, but not much. TiPeak on the other hand feels “kushier” in comparison hitting the hand. The power is still there but it kind feels like the power is living in a slightly different place in the yoyo. Hard to explain. Subtle, but present.

It plays a bit better than the Peak2 but just margenally. It may be boosted by the aesthetic of the wonderful sound Ti makes to edge its favor between the two, but if you cant get a TiPeak or wont get one for what ever reason, the Peak2 is a suitable replacement.

However, while experimenting with different bearings and strings I did find that there can be some differences worth noting. One thing I found on a whim was to take the full ceramic bearing out of my AMS Tundra ( :o ) and put it in the TiPeak, just for fun really. But I am really glad I did! That made a huge difference. So much so, I plan to keep it in there, and Tundra got downgraded to Terripin Xwing SS/Ceramic.

Awesome, thanks for the additional comparison!!! It really helps to get a sense of the TiPeak in play. The only way I’ll get to try it directly is to buy it, but of course this isn’t your average yoyo expense :slight_smile: Maybe one day… I do love a Peak!

As an aside, I think you and I have a very similar taste in yoyos. Keep throwing, cheers, B.

i did the same with the flat bearing. mine was quiet and smooth, i’m just not a fan. i put in a full ceramic due to luftverks use of one in the tundra and it really was nice but then i put a nsk micro platinum in and that changed everything. so smooth and quiet. it’s been only a couple of days but i cant put it down. i have read your review over and over and it’s just right. thank you dust

1 Like

That Dust write one hell of a review. Great job sir! Reading this may make for an expensive few weeks for me…

1 Like

it’s worth every penny. ;D ;D ;D

I myself own two TiPeaks, a Raw (from a fellow forums member) and an AMS hardcoat from Mr. Pang himself. And I must say, I’ve fallen in love with these throws. After the first few binds, I was completely hooked. Its incredibly balanced, as said by Dust: not too light or heavy. not too powerful and zippy, and it isn’t by any means sluggish. I did change the bearings in the AMS and Raw, to full ceramic and the Pixel I bought them with (respectibly).

It hits all the marks for me. Honestly, it feels like how I imagine a YYF '07 888 or a OD Parlay would feel (I’ve never tried them, so I’m just going out on a limb here). It can be a little annoying when you happen to get a knot, and they can snag if you’re not careful due to the higher wall. But I like these two better than my Ti Shutter and Dream, hands down!

It can do almost any trick I throw at it. Fingerspins ARE possible, as your finger goes to the outer bowl and not the middle. It doesn’t stay for long though (as should be expected. this isn’t an Octavia or a Skyva). It does seem to be more speed-centered than tech, as least for me. It can do thumb and finger grinds, ESPECIALLY on the AMS. That thing does it for an eternity.

Overall, Chris and Jeffery know what they wanted. Sure, it isn’t a Sigtyr or a Frost, heck even a Fulvia BTM. But I can tell a lot of work went into the Titanium Peaks.

“Yoyo is a taste. Titanium is a flavor.”
A flavor a cannot get enough of. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you still love it today? I don’t know why I got the clyw bug this year and the prices of og peaks have put it as such that I can’t really afford one or rather I figure I think instead of getting a peak I will just get a ti-peak as paying 200$ for a beat up peak seems crazy to me!

2 Likes

I managed to snag a Ti-Peak a few months ago and I’ve got to say it’s my favourite yoyo I own.

I’m a really big fan of the Peak and Peak 2. The original is pure joy to throw, always find myself picking it up for a few tricks now and then and it’s a great throw. The Peak 2 is a fantastic updated version of the original and it’s still widely available which makes it even more appealing. Easier to play than the original, probably due to the lower wall in the more modern design, but I feel it still captures the feel of the Peak.

Now the Ti-Peak is just on another level. It’s like it has all the best bits taken from the original and the Peak 2 and they’ve crammed it into one yoyo. Still has the classic shape but is a lot lighter than the original. The inner hub area is more like the Peak 2 as it has thinner rims. It still has the high wall like the original but once you put a centre track bearing, it really does improve spintime. It can handle several layers of string but if you have thicker slackier string then it might want to grab. It has slipped out of my pocket once and it bounced on the concrete making a great noise, but thankfully it only made a small mark and added no vibe. A aluminum throw would have been a bit messed up if it had the same accident. Overall, it really is a real pleasure to throw and if I wasn’t too scared of loosing it, I would have it with me every day.

The Peak and peak 2 two of my favorite YoYos out there but if I was only allowed to have one yoyo, it would be the Ti-Peak. I’d get one if you can!

3 Likes

I did end up having to sell mine in order to get a prized throw i should not hve sold back into my collection. It was a worthy sacrifice and would be happy to get another TiPeak back into my bag. I do love that throw.

That being said, Sputnik, TiHawk, and TiVayder all fill that “premium O” spot in my collection, if the time was right, id likely pay for another one. Its a solid piece of art that plays very well.

4 Likes