My yo-yo won't unscrew

Anyone else have difficulty unscrewing their metal skyva? I can’t unscrew mine! I guess I have to buy something that’ll give me a better grip? lol

1 Like

Thats strange! Mine have all come apart pretty easily!

Maybe try wrapping the halves in cloth?

Then check the bearing seat if its tight or not to make sure its not a defect!

Try rubber gloves, they can really help give you a little more grip with a stuck yo-yo. Or any silicone pot holder/jar opener type thing you may have lying around.

1 Like

On new yoyos isn’t that normally due to both sides having a “death grip” on the bearing? After you do get it apart, put a dab of bearing lubricant on both bearing posts to make it easier in the future.

1 Like

I had the same issue with my Basecamp Jackknife. Put it in the freezer for about an hour, which should cause the bearing posts to shrink enough that you can unscrew it with a rubber grip pad.

2 Likes

Here ya go>

10 Likes

Putting tape on both sides helped me get enough grip to unscrew it. Thanks

2 Likes

I’ve struggled with a particular CLYW yo-yo I have not been able to take apart for almost a year.

I tried the following:

• rubber gloves
  • putting the yo-yo in the freezer overnight
  • my weak anemic t-rex programmer arms

none of these worked for me :frowning:

I finally managed to do it, the advice of @yoyodoc to use tape in a loop (so you effectively have double-sided tape), placing the tape on each rim is correct. In this case I had actual double-sided foam tape on hand so I used that, but the principle is the same:

IMG_7264

Basically you want BOTH SIDES of the tape to be sticky so it is gripping both your hands and the yoyo with extra sticky force.

I was amazed at how easily this worked, compared to rubber gloves or the freezer or brute force. If you too have a yo-yo that won’t unscrew, give it a shot!

You betcha I lubed the heck out of the axle (the hex key side) after putting it back in. This is the only yo-yo I’ve ever owned with this problem, came from YYE that way, so it’s freakish bad luck I guess?

4 Likes