Career advice

The yoyo community is made up of diverse group of people coming from all walks of life. These different people envelope a wide array of knowledge. Any help from this knowledgeable group is appreciated! :slight_smile:

The last year has been a massive learning experience. During high school I did not like science and did the minimum requirements just to get by. During high school I also had the ability to take college credits and obtained my associates of arts degree before graduating high school. To fulfill requirements, I had to take science courses. I took human anatomy and physiology. This class made me enjoy science! After taking classes in the prior field I wanted to be in, personal finance, I decided it wasn’t for me and that science was the way to go. I started into a 4 year college wanting to do optometry or pharmacy (for almost purely monetary reason). As I took my basic science courses, I realized something: I love science! I have seen the beauty that is our natural world through the scientific eye. This passion was a new discovery to me so everything is new and exciting. I enjoy everything I have learned about (through classes or free time learning) whether it be astronomy, cell biology, technology, renewable energy, and so on. Next year however I will be a senior. This puts me in a tough decision of what to do next. I am going to add on a third year (adding a Chem major on top of my bio major) to give me a bit more time, but I still want help looking for direction. I would consider myself a good student NOW. This last year I took 35 science credits in college and squeezed out my first 4.0 ever! I was thinking about cell and molecular biology research/ teaching; however, I highly question whether or not there is something out there that would allow me to use more variety of sciences. If you guys have any ideas, comments, or suggestions they would be deeply appreciated!

Wow…it really sounds like you have your act together. I’m in no position to offer any advice other than “don’t major in English,” which everybody knows already. I did, and I scrub toilets for a living.

Remember it’s not just about your education, it’s also who you know and relevant experience. Internships are really good, even if it’s not in the exact field you end up in–employers like real-life experience.

Pick something you Enjoy! The area that holds your interest the most.

It wouldn’t pay for my toys. :wink:

1 Like

Do whatever you love, otherwise your screw up. There is always ways to get money when you’ll need. But be an slave or your life is not worth it

Dang! No money in yo-yoing and canoeing? I guess I’m in need of a new mentor. :cry: Bye

This

I canoe also. Freaky.

Have you talked to your parents about this? They are usually the ones in the best position to give the most informed advice.

Not necessarily.

(the following is simply imho. this is not right or wrong, only what I found works for me)

People like to say do what you love for work. I disagree. Ive done this and it rarely works to your advantage. The problem with doing what you love, is that youll do it for free and be happy about it. Cause hey! Its what you love. So youll under value yourself, you will get under paid and again be happy about it. This is fine and dandy if you are flying solo. That why we are called starving artists. . . But once its not longer just you, and you start to build a relationship and a family, this is no longer an explorable avenue.

Instead, do what you dont hate. Find something you dont mind doing everyday for work. Something that allows you to pursue your passions. Something that supports and funds it. But my best advise is to KEEP THEM SEPARATE.

If you do what you love to do for fun, and turn it into work, you will ruin yourself sooner or later. Burnout will take you. Your joy will change from something you want to do into something you Have to do. The passion will be annihilated, steamrolled, and discarded. All for a paycheck? Nay I say!!

Keep doing what you love in your free time, but in the mean time find a job you dont dread going to every morning. By finding that part of the puzzle and developing a good work ethic and making your self valuable (doing good work even when no one is looking) and always make the place better than it was when you came in, everything else will likely fall into place.

Work hard, Word good, Keep your Karma Plush. Maintain service to others. Most will be provided or access given to. Good luck! I never explored further standardized education and chose travel and experience over more schoolin’. But me and schools didnt see eye to eye so its prolly better that way. Im still bothered by their developed lack of ability to teach. It took me years to UNlearn the crap they put into my head and teach my self how to actually learn (not just memorize info to recall it later to pass a test, then let it go forever, this isnt learning!!)

Pardon my tangent. Its early and im still sippping coffee (usually when i get in trouble for my posts hahah!) I dont know if any of that helped, but it felt good to share for a second. :slight_smile: thanks!

Well said Dust, my job isn’t something that I love but it’s something that is enjoyable at times while providing me the means to not only to support me and the Mrs but also to have “fun money”
An example of doing what you love was me working in an car audio shop. I love anything to do with sound, but towards the end of me working there I got burnt out. I lost the enjoyment on installing audio systems (until now, new job, working on own car, etc).
As far as your background in sciences, internships are the way to go. Examples like 3M or some sort of health equipment suppliers.

In the end never do something just for the money.

-bbdave-

So, you were one of THOSE kids…

1 Like

Woah, there are a lot of responses on here now! :slight_smile: thanks guys! I talk to my parents about stuff like this all the time though they have little to no college experience themselves. They are still very supportive and helpful.

I have found Astrobiology to be a very diverse field bringing in from most science fields (physics, astronomy, organic chemistry, geology, biologies of the sort, engineering, and many other). This does bring a large appeal to it for me. There really aren’t much for phd programs in the U.S. for it but there is one that I found that would work well I believe. I believe this is how the degree is set up: it’s a dual title phd allowing for one to get a Phd in a main disciple (I could do cell biology for instance), then also work in an Astrobiology component to my research, classes and such and boom, dual title phd. I’m still trying to learn about it; however, the concepts seem interesting.

Any comments are well appreciated :slight_smile: especially to those who have experience in related fields, science fields, or helpful life experiences :slight_smile:

I think Astrobiology is an up and coming field. Elon Musk plans to have people on Mars in 5 years, we are going to need scientists who can have an understanding of diverse fields to plan and prevent foolish mistakes.

My nephew is in his second year of college, his interest is biomechanics and prosthetics. He studies the biology and various types of engineering needed to design and build artificial limbs. Also pretty cool stuff.

Finally, don’t forget that life has a way of making your path “twisty-turny”. What you start out doing may not be exactly where you wind up. Ideally all your experiences come together to lead you to something you enjoy enough to spend at least 40hours a week doing.

Not sure Astrobiology is “up and coming” until we actually discover life outside of our atmosphere.