Alley Cat talk

Wise to learn Spirit Bomb unresponsive but it’s a VERY different trick on tug-response or fixed. It’s like learning it twice.

I still have a ton of YYJ Thick Lube left over from my Flying V days. Those unshielded half-spec bearings just drank lube up, whereas I just add a drop to the A/C every 4-5 days. Brain Lube is good too!

The reason why I don’t like it is that I’ll have to buy it specifically for the Alley Cat. Lubing the bearing is OK, but I’m concerned that that alone won’t give me the response I like.

Also, why bother with it when it requires more maintenance than my fixed axles which work really well?

I would really only want it for responsive play, and as Ed just said, it wasn’t designed predominantly for that.

It really does look like a really fun yoyo though. If they’re still around later, I’ll probably pick one up.

Yeah I guess I would say it wasn’t designed SOLELY for that.
It was definitely designed for responsive, and like Aaron said it responds great with just a little lube. (There has never been a responsive bearing yoyo which hasn’t required that.) Beyond that every few days I am not maintaining it at all.
It wasn’t designed to feel so much like a fixed axle as the mid-school throws of the late 90’s to mid-00’s (only better).

But why bother? Cause it’s a fun counterpoint? Safe to say I like throwing wood more than most, but this is definitely a cool, unique throw.

“that” being regular lubing. My raiders require regular lubing to be consistent.

Thanks to all for the insights and tips!
my take from all this is that it is better to play to the strong points and not try to force the tricks that it doesn’t like, kinda like dealing with actual alley cats.
The AC really is a gem when you look at is as a mid-school throw, so many classic tricks were made on responsive throws, but are really hard to hit with a tug return set up, this really opens up a door to the tricks of yesteryear… I guess that would be a back door to yesteryear.

So, back to my lube issues, I hadn’t been able to find anything close to brain lube, without having to go online. I did happen to find some all purpose bearing grease… I just tried it out, and I think I like it. It took a little playing to get the right amount, but I have it where I like it. It sleeps well, tug responsive, no “lag time” where you feel the pads catch and return. I’ll see how it holds up, but I think this might be a good option for me.

To be the man, you gotta beat the man-Ric Flair

Brain Lube is the same as this: Page Not Found | Super Lube

You can find that at Home Depot if you have one near you. I think it’s $3.99

Are you all popping the shields on the little bearing to lube up? Or just dropping it on there and letting it soak in?

I’ve done it both ways… and both ways seem to work! BUT the Brain lube definitely gets in there a little better unshielded.

LOVE my AlleyCat!! It has been the daily almost everyday since I’ve got it! Heavy Brain lube and 2 Duncan silicone pads… Plays sweet!!

Or most any hardware or auto parts store.

1 Like

I legit just dip my finger in bike/car grease and push it up against the side of the bearing, shielded :-X

Glad so many of ya’ll are digging your cats, if anyone’s still having an issue getting theirs dialed how they like feel free to reach out.

5 Likes

Happy to have snagged a purple just before they sold out!

I admit that a lot of my frustration with the AlleyCat was due to my misunderstanding of what it was intended to be. Still, I just can’t help but want to do a few STMs when I have a responsive yoyo in my hands. Again, much of that issue is on me, because of my skill level.

Anyway, I’ve continued to pick up the AlleyCat and play with it, both letting go of trying to do STM, and working specifically on STM. Now I am enjoying it much more, and I can even often hit STM enough to do a couple into Lunar Landing.

The AlleyCat is one I will not get rid of for sure. It just really has something different to offer. Also, I’m surprised nobody else has mentioned how it sounds. It sounds so beautifully musical while playing with it!

I must have been asleep that day, but, What is STM?

Shoot The Moon

I think I’m finally happy with my Alley Cat set up. I’ve taken the advice from this post, and, of course, because I can’t leave anything alone without putting my own twist on it, went to town. I’m using YYF looping lube (its what I have), the Chaz pad that came installed, and, on the opposite side, I’ve put one of the black Duncan friction stickers. A bit snappier response than with just the Chaz pad and slim response pad, but, not a complete knuckle buster.

Now, I can Shoot the Moon as well as do the tricks I normally do on fixed axle.

However, the real fun in this yoyo is going back to all the tricks that unresponsive play has allowed me to be sloppy about (Buddha’s Revenge anyone?) and work on smoothing my technique.

1 Like

Kwijibo is one of my favorites on responsives. It’s deceptive. Gotta be smooth.

Thanks for that suggestion. I’ve taken to working Kwijibo on fixed, but, that is a good one for responsive play. However, I don’t know how much I will be thanking you when my hands look like I’ve been transported back in time to 3rd grade with Sister Mary Intolerant and her knuckle smacking ruler :slight_smile:

1 Like

^Haha!

Yeah, Kwijibo is a good one!

Lately I’ve been doing Trapeze and Brother Stall, and then regening into 1a tricks from there. Going into the Matrix with a loop to the side to finish is a nice feeling one. That’s a challenge for me on a fixed axel! Kwijibo, of course…

Can also similarly use Zipper Stalls for front style tricks. Towards you, away, and then regen. I find this more difficult than the Brother Stall version.

So, I still can’t shoot the moon for the life of me, but I’ll say, I deshielded my bearing and have been using the bearing grease. My cat is exactly where I want it to be, landed one spirit bomb, and a few kick flips. It’s definitely making me step my game up.

Core Co really hit the nail on the head with this throw. Fun, challenging, and pocket friendly, well played, guys. I’m going to stock up on Chaz pads and Duncan silicone stickers next week

To be the man, you gotta beat the man-Ric Flair