Alley Cat talk

YYE has chaz pads in stock, don’t they?

I’ve been using the same friction sticker for over a month now, no issues with it. If you can find them, Duncan made 12mm Silicone stickers also. Haven’t tried them yet in mine.

Yep: Yo-Yo Response – YoYoExpert

Thanks Aaron! I must have not seen them the first time when looking through the store.

-bbdave-

Has anyone tried a CT or concave bearing in theirs

-bbdave-

I am playing mine with thin Duncan-sized irPads (basically flat silicone stickers) and a moderately-well lubed bearing w/YYSL Type X string. Using my standard rule for responsive - if I can do Spirit Bomb and Shoot the Moon on consecutive throws, the yo-yo is set up right. As always, the variables are bearing lubrication, pad choice, and string width (and tension), and I would say that is the order in terms of effect on response.

I recognize that some people would like it to be a little more naturally snappy. Others would prefer it to be less so. It was designed not so much to be a fixed-axle style bearing throw as an homage to the mid-school era bearing throws. You SHOULD definitely be able to set it up for loops out and moons (mine is), but it’s got a little too much gap to be a true 0a throw.

I am pretty ecstatic with it. Glad so many people are digging it for what it is!

1 Like

I didn’t mean to trash on it. I like it. I’ve just been a bit frustrated trying to get it how I like it. I’m not giving up on it yet.

BTW, I’ve gotten good wear out of the Duncan Silicone Stickers. I said I had mine set up like Aaron, but I’m using the Silicone sticker, not the Friction sticker.

Ed, mine is plenty snappy, but like you said, it’s the gap that messes me up I think. When I try to do STM, it shoots forward instead of up and back. Admittedly, my skill level is part of the issue. Hopefully, I’ll persevere, and be better for it.

I think it’s totally natural to want it to be just a little narrower in the gap (or if you have a slightly dif mindset for it to be a little wider). I have t heard anybody really trash it. It’s not going to be but a very few peoples’ “end-all”. I’m just glad there will always be a core group of throwers who just want to do fun silly stuff and not get too uptight about their equipment ticking all the competitive boxes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

tbh this is the first dedicated responsive throw I’ve bought and I’m totally in love. like, its my favorite throw at the moment

This throw is pretty awesome, I didn’t get one to practice any responsive tricks. Purely for relaxing when I need a break or to throw around for fun.

-bbdave-

Ed (or anyone else), what kind of lube do you recommend? I had to clean a hair out of my bearing, and all I had was 3-in-2, but it’s nowhere near as responsive as it was. The only other thing I could think of was Vaseline, but I don’t want to risk ruining it.

I use the Yomega Brain Lube, just because I bought several in the 90’s and still have it ;D

This is the same stuff though: http://www.super-lube.com/super-lube-precision-oiler-14oz-model-51010-p-20.html

I guess I had better start working on my Spirit Bomb…perhaps in the interest of my knuckles, I will focus on learning it unresponsive first :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wise to learn Spirit Bomb unresponsive but it’s a VERY different trick on tug-response or fixed. It’s like learning it twice.

I still have a ton of YYJ Thick Lube left over from my Flying V days. Those unshielded half-spec bearings just drank lube up, whereas I just add a drop to the A/C every 4-5 days. Brain Lube is good too!

The reason why I don’t like it is that I’ll have to buy it specifically for the Alley Cat. Lubing the bearing is OK, but I’m concerned that that alone won’t give me the response I like.

Also, why bother with it when it requires more maintenance than my fixed axles which work really well?

I would really only want it for responsive play, and as Ed just said, it wasn’t designed predominantly for that.

It really does look like a really fun yoyo though. If they’re still around later, I’ll probably pick one up.

Yeah I guess I would say it wasn’t designed SOLELY for that.
It was definitely designed for responsive, and like Aaron said it responds great with just a little lube. (There has never been a responsive bearing yoyo which hasn’t required that.) Beyond that every few days I am not maintaining it at all.
It wasn’t designed to feel so much like a fixed axle as the mid-school throws of the late 90’s to mid-00’s (only better).

But why bother? Cause it’s a fun counterpoint? Safe to say I like throwing wood more than most, but this is definitely a cool, unique throw.

“that” being regular lubing. My raiders require regular lubing to be consistent.

Thanks to all for the insights and tips!
my take from all this is that it is better to play to the strong points and not try to force the tricks that it doesn’t like, kinda like dealing with actual alley cats.
The AC really is a gem when you look at is as a mid-school throw, so many classic tricks were made on responsive throws, but are really hard to hit with a tug return set up, this really opens up a door to the tricks of yesteryear… I guess that would be a back door to yesteryear.

So, back to my lube issues, I hadn’t been able to find anything close to brain lube, without having to go online. I did happen to find some all purpose bearing grease… I just tried it out, and I think I like it. It took a little playing to get the right amount, but I have it where I like it. It sleeps well, tug responsive, no “lag time” where you feel the pads catch and return. I’ll see how it holds up, but I think this might be a good option for me.

To be the man, you gotta beat the man-Ric Flair

Brain Lube is the same as this: Page Not Found | Super Lube

You can find that at Home Depot if you have one near you. I think it’s $3.99

Are you all popping the shields on the little bearing to lube up? Or just dropping it on there and letting it soak in?