Show some wooden yoyos you've made

The one with a penny in the side I made in my garage and the other two were made when I was in high school on the school’s wood lathe. The top two are made of maple. The darker wood is buninga. The one with a penny is just some random wood that was laying around after my family tore down an old building.

18 Likes

I hope you received a good grade.

5 Likes

I think I did… I never really payed attention to my grade in that class. I just tried my best to make something I found interesting. I never really knew much about woodworking and such before then, so it was a great learning experience! :slight_smile:

P.S. The two from school are unresponsive and the other one is a fixed axel.

5 Likes

I have no idea what the specs are. It’s maple with a 1/4 inch oak dowel. Plays great. It was my first real attempt at making one and I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out. Plus I had a lot of fun making it with my grandpa.

15 Likes

That’s the bestest part!

5 Likes

Ditto!

3 Likes

That is cool…did you cut the halves out or did you turn them?

4 Likes

Thanks :blush::+1:. Cut to a rough shape with a band saw and then turned with a wood lathe.

3 Likes

19 Likes

Beautiful!!!

3 Likes

Lookin good! Is that purpleheart?

4 Likes

Yes.

5 Likes

Made it with drill only

12 Likes

Made this one today.

It’s made of purpleheart.

Diameter: 55.5mm
Width: 33mm
Gap width: 2.3mm
Weight: 68g.

Need to perfect this one, the burning is the main problem, however it does perform well.

Can’t get that lovely old socks/goat’s cheese/vomit smell of worked purpleheart out of my nose. Mmmmmm.

18 Likes

I didn’t technically make this one, but I did upgrade it lol. This was a TMBR Irving with a broken axle. Instead of just getting a dowel I thought it would be fun to make it into an unresponsive wooden yo-yo.

I don’t have a lathe so I picked up some forstner bits for the drill press and finally got around to drilling out the space for the SPRs this morning. Installed some flat cap side effects, a 25mm axle, chaz pads & a center trac and it’s good to go!

20 Likes

That’s pretty cool!

5 Likes

That looks great! How does it play? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Way better than I expected haha. It’s just over 55g assembled. Plays light and floaty, can get through most not so techy combos pretty easily. Came out great for a first attempt, I’ll have to make some more in the future!

5 Likes

Those both look awesome!! Makes me want to buy a lathe!

4 Likes

This thread is making me want to try! I don’t have a lathe, but I bet I can do something with what I’ve got…

5 Likes