Best mono metal competition yoyo?

I got a Horizon - and a Shutter…

How’s the horizon ultra?

I’m wondering the same thing!

Yeah it interests me because; 1. The regular horizon is slightly to heavy for me 2. I could never finger spin it no matter how hard I tried (yes I do know how to finger spin other yoyos) and the new one actually has a dimple to get a good locked in finger spin 3. The regular horizon has been known to strip a little easier than some yoyos but with the new fancy metal that shouldn’t be an issue. 4. I have never actually played a 7068 yoyo and I am very interested in trying one.

So while I don’t believe this to be the best ‘competition’ yoyo, I do claim and can argue that the Japan Technology FiReal is quite possibly the greatest monometal yoyo.

Why?

Its is a very conceptually interesting yoyo that realises it’s potential so clearly.

A-RT helped in one of their videos to identify the current trend of very competition driven designs (wide, wide gap, V-ish, rim weighted) and also pointed out that older yoyos required greater player accuracy and commitment to land tricks and perfect technique.

The FiReal is somewhat a marriage of the two, although admittedly it leans closer to the current trend.

While it is wide, large gapped and V-ish, but it has a weight distribution and play characteristics that encourage and reward accuracy. This means it’s really good for competition, but also somewhat helpful for improving you as a player. You’ll also have a hard time finding anything more accommodating for slow or fast play speeds. It also has that incredibly smooth feel in play that older yoyos have.

It will handle anything, but won’t allow you to be half asleep behind wheel (so to speak).

It is just so freakin’ rad to use.

To top it off, it’s made of Japan Technology’s mysterious A300 alloy. I can’t find a scrap of info on it and JT are pretty tight lipped about it, but what I can say is that it’s HARD. I’ve managed to put dings in my 7068 yoyos much more easily that this. I have no dings on my A300 yoyos and they have often hit my wedding ring hard.

It’s pretty expensive, but it is really worth it. Version 1 or 2 are both great in their own ways.

I just got one. It’s amazing. It’s light but still has so much power and the finish is super smooth

Sweet! I might just have to get one :blush:

I don’t know if it’s the best, but it’s probably the best I have in my collection. Diplomat!

Thank you for your replies guys!

I was, however, expecting a lot more of you saying things like CLYW, OD, Sengoku, YYR etc etc.

The compass by CLYW is great.

Oh if easy to find go ask for a chief or get a Kayak, or any CLYW.

[quote=“darkmagicII,post:35,topic:84076”]
Oh if easy to find go ask for a chief or get a Kayak, or any CLYW.

[/quote
I’ve had several Chiefs, all sold now. Not a bad yoyo in itsself, however not the best for competition IMO.
Aaaand i’m really not that into CLYW anymore

[quote=“Eastfield,post:36,topic:84076”]

He said “Easy to find.” READ, PLEASE.

Just stop reading this thread and go buy a Kuntosh 5000qv

So because i say “easy to find” all my previous requirements go out the window…?

I’m just trying to get as many inputs as possible my friend :slight_smile:

CLYW Arctic Circle 2

I’m kinda surprised nobody mentioned the G2 banshee. I believe that’s the most “competition” oriented yoyo I have. It can play fast or slow. It’s super smooth on grinds. Seems very stable to me.
The only thing is… getting one. While they are still in production, they sell out super fast.

Had that… decent yoyo, nothing out of this world regarding performance really…

Can I ask why monometal?

Price, with some few exceptions really! And for some reason i like monometals better. I don’t have a good objective reason for it.