Looking for a good, cheap unscrewable wooden yoyo. Any suggestions?

Well I hope it works out for you! It is after all only my opinion, and I’m sure others have a different one. In the end, at least it will only set you back $10. Regardless, if you end up liking fixed axle at all, you’ll enjoy the Legend Wing to some degree, and I think it’s a logical choice to start.

I agree with Myk_Myk, the wing legend is a phenomenal player. Mine sees more than its fair share of play time (I also have a No Jive and 2015 eH).

For what it’s worth, my fixed axle play style is heavy on stalls and shoot the moon, I tend not to go for too many tricks that require crazy long spin time, but, I do realize my style is constantly evolving.

It is a more than capable yoyo, and, is an incredible value.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve actually gone right off the idea of performing long strings tricks. I’m just keen to get into plenty of stall work and flips with it.

1 Like

Another question, men: what sort of maintenance is needed for wood fixed axle yoyos?

I also bought the standard cotton string from YYE. I hope this stuff is at least type 8? It didn’t say.

I would go for type 10 next time; it’s labeled that way in the drop-down menu. Beats me what the rest is but I would guess type 8.

In my experience with TMBR and OUT throws, no actual maintenance necessary. Every new string needs to be broken in to get the right response. Before it’s broken in, it’s too unresponsive. I do hard, long-spinning windshield wipers until it responds enough. If you’re impatient you can put some lip balm on the loop and it will start responding right away but I like to just break them in.

1 Like

I haven’t played the Legend Wing yet, but for $10 I don’t think you can go wrong. It looks great for $10.

As far as weight, I think that depends on what you want to do. Lighter fixed axles I think lend well to kick flips and stall tricks. A little more weight helps with spin time for string tricks.

I personally think that the 2014 & 2015 eH’s are some of the best all around fixed axles that have been made in recent years. No Jives are also great all around fixed axles. And I’m also really partial to the Hildy Currier’s as great all around fixed axles.

I really don’t do much maintenance, if any at all on my fixed axles. Really, all I seem to do is change the string. As far as string, the YYE type 10 cotton is great, I found the type 8 was just OK. However, if you decide you don’t like whatever cotton string, and you have a drill and access to cotton thread and you tube, you can make your own string. I make cotton, which, once broken in is pretty good (for me). I’ve tried poly, haven’t had much luck. I think I got lucky with the cotton thread I chose (and, the whole reason I decided to give making string a try was YYE was sold out of type 10 cotton a year or so ago).

Like FiveIronBrian, sometimes I will put a little beeswax lipbalm on the loop of the string to make a new string immediately responsive. Usually, I throw sleepers, makin’ da zines, or dump trucks to break the string in and get the tension worked out.

A fixed axle doesn’t need any maintenance. I do break the axle in a bit to remove any rough spots. To do that I get a piece of the thick cotton packaging string about 2 feet long, wrap it around the axle a couple of times leaving equal amounts of string extending from either side. Hold the yoyo between your knees and pull the string tight then pull back and forth about 6 inches 5 or 6 times. I’ve had mixed results waxing the string. Get too much on and it becomes very responsive. Use sparingly if at all.

1 Like

I’ve been reading info that says that wooden fixed axle yoyos tend to wear out. It says the axle becomes slick after a lot of play and the yoyo loses too much response. Is this true?

I think it depends on how hard you play. I’ve never had one wear out on me. All of my TK yoyos come with extra axle sleeves but I’ve never had to replace them. Probably Ed can answer this more definitively.

So I’ve been using this so far until my yoyos arrive:

I’ve been progressing well, learning Stalls, Makin Da Zines and Zipper Stalls, but man, the shape sure is making it tough! Looking forward to when my Duncan Butterfly and Legend Wing show up.

I think you will be amazed at how much easier all those tricks are using a wing shaped yoyo. However, that yoyo is making your play precise!

This is likely a stupid question…

But all of the OUT yoyos are tug return, right? Not bind return?

I say this because in one of the product descriptions it says it has a walnut axle for the perfect bind…

Don’t worry, they’re all tug return. It binds when you tug it. ;D

Yeah, all tug responsive. We just wrote that out of habit and… lack of a better word? I guess “Walnut axle for the perfect amount of responsiveness” doesn’t have the same ring to it haha.

Well I suppose ‘bind’ is really just a technical term for the yoyo responding, so it’s accurate!

It’s probably just mugs like me that get confused by these things. ;D

Does the OUT Free Spirit really weigh 63g? On the store it says 75g…

Cherry is a lighter wood than most others that are used for yoyos. 75g is probably from another wood they had in stock. Plus the actual weight varies anyway.

Thanks, Brian, but I really want to know because 63g is a far cry from 75g. That difference in weight is GYNORMULOUS.

Can any YYE admin staff shed light on what it’s approx weight is?

If not, I’ll fill out a contact form about it.

Just weighed 4 of the cherry versions to get an idea of the variation - 62g, 64.5g, 65.6g, 63.8g

The 75g weight listed must have been from a heavier wood version.

EDIT: The Cherry W/ Red/Black inlay that we have is an older model. Its slightly larger and weighs in at 85g.

1 Like