Customer Service      FAQ      Email Sign Up      My Account      View Cart     
YoYoExpert Forums
October 17, 2017, 06:59:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Forums!  Try out our new and improved chat room!

Home   Chat Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Responsive yoyo?  (Read 1602 times)
Myk_Myk
Trade Count: (4)

United States United States

Fav. Yo-Yo: 2SickYoYos-Rook

Thank You
-Given: 402
-Receive: 137

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 09:01:02 AM »

This might sound even weirder, but I think it be even cooler if they came with rubber weight rings like some yoyos used to have. Lighter and more even weight distribution for responsive tricks like STM, stalls and regens, heavier with more rim weight for unresponsive and longer combo responsive play.

I found some rubber O-rings that fit my Speed Dial, and I enjoy messing around with that.

No, that's not Skoal in my pocket.

Looking for a "Big Deal"
Paul
Trade Count: (3)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Big Bang Endeavor
Fav. Trick: Hit a half court shot off string once. Shattered the yoyo. Worth it.

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 16

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 12:28:46 AM »

Yes, I saw the pics of your collection. Impressive.

The sad part is I sold a little over 50 yoyos a few months after college when I had to do an unpaid internship then moved states and was unemployed for 6 months.

:C

As for everyone else - ty for the replies! Ill keep looking around. The basecamp is only $55 so Ill probably snag one of those soon.

Sent from my iPad using YoYoExpert

Paul

Fav. Trick: Hit a half court shot off string once. Shattered the yoyo. Worth it.

Thank You

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 12:29:35 AM »

CoreCo is also in the process of developing something in this vein, and it should be pretty rad.

Honestly I tend to play wood or unresponsive without blending into the responsive metal zone too much. I've yet to find one that truly and totally nails it. Walter is great fun, and honestly, so is a well-tuned SB2. I think we got pretty close to the mark with the SPYY Flying V, too, but my bias is showing. And I'm not sure anybody's really captured the feeling of a new Freehand or Renegade (though admittedly, that feeling doesn't last for long).

Nice to see you back around, Paul. I remember you from Dave's board!

Throwback!!!

xyn
Trade Count: (0)

Fav. Yo-Yo: silver bullet
Fav. Trick: side mount

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 5

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »

I tried some of the responsive basecamp throws at a store, I didn't find them consistent - would sometimes hang when I tugged.  They looked and felt nice, but didn't respond the way I wanted, so I didn't purchase.

The dv888 is nice and responsive.  Though I don't find it too comfortable.

For relaxing throwing I use a 2a yoyo or silver bullet.

WH0TH3MAN
Trade Count: (38)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Whatever I'm using
Fav. Trick: Ninja vanish (simple but amazing)

Thank You
-Given: 22
-Receive: 202

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »

I personally really like the yyf whip. Sounds weird but it works great I think!

Sent from my iPhone using YoYoExpert

oscar chuntonov
Trade Count: (1)

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Fav. Yo-Yo: wooly markmont

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 14

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 09:59:48 AM »

Walter & Moonshine are about the best modern responsive yoyos.  The AntiYo YWET with silicone in both response grooves and a heavy lubed bearing is another of my favorites. There are 2 slim titanium pocket yoyos coming out that both are designed to be used with a slim bearing also, I'm going to grab one of them.

Walter though is really the one you want to look for, designed to be a modern responsive yoyo. It's hard to find these days though.

While not out yet, Spencer's next yoyo "Theodore" is in the works, there were a few serial numbers available to reserve still. https://spencerberry.com/theodore/ If you're looking for a modern responsive you may want to get a spot in the reservation.

Can you tell more about slim titanium?

AaronW
Trade Count: (73)

Fav. Yo-Yo: the kind made of wood

Thank You
-Given: 515
-Receive: 276

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »

Can you tell more about slim titanium?

Luftverk and 2Sick have slim ti yoyos on the way.
Paul

Thank You

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »

Luftverk and 2Sick have slim ti yoyos on the way.

Yess

Dmehalko
Trade Count: (0)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Duncan Strix
Fav. Trick: Mach 5

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 4

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 10:37:27 PM »

I picked up a new yomega glide from their website, on sale for $34.99, comes with a narrow c bearing and is sold as a responsive yoyo. Extremely smooth and very nice.
RandyJ
Manufacturer
Trade Count: (1)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Core Co. Standard
Fav. Trick: Insta-Archery

Thank You
-Given: 12
-Receive: 51

Randy Jensen

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »

We've got protos for our slimline responsive and I don't usually do hype posts but Uri and I are incredddiiibbblllyyyy happy with it. Ed's is in the mail and Nate Sutter is getting one too. You should have feedback from them soon! We went with small bearing because we feel like no half-spec C bearing options feel right. The wind and regen just feels wrong on them, to us, when compared to classic responsive yoyos. Drew Tetz, Ed Haponik and Nate Sutter all had input into the shape and design. We didn't want to make a yoyo that plays fine unresponsive and modify it to play just ok responsive, we wanted it to be AIMED at pure responsive play, with unresponsive setups being the after thought. This one winds great, can be smooth and tug responsive and has just enough modern yoyo design into it to make it spin real good.

7075 aluminum, huge axle, takes a beating, walls and dimensions specifically designed to assist in kickflips. Stoked on this yoyo!
AaronW
Trade Count: (73)

Fav. Yo-Yo: the kind made of wood

Thank You
-Given: 515
-Receive: 276

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 08:55:59 AM »

We've got protos for our slimline responsive and I don't usually do hype posts but Uri and I are incredddiiibbblllyyyy happy with it. Ed's is in the mail and Nate Sutter is getting one too. You should have feedback from them soon! We went with small bearing because we feel like no half-spec C bearing options feel right. The wind and regen just feels wrong on them, to us, when compared to classic responsive yoyos. Drew Tetz, Ed Haponik and Nate Sutter all had input into the shape and design. We didn't want to make a yoyo that plays fine unresponsive and modify it to play just ok responsive, we wanted it to be AIMED at pure responsive play, with unresponsive setups being the after thought. This one winds great, can be smooth and tug responsive and has just enough modern yoyo design into it to make it spin real good.

7075 aluminum, huge axle, takes a beating, walls and dimensions specifically designed to assist in kickflips. Stoked on this yoyo!

Ugh...Randy this post just made me want this yoyo even more!  Sounds like one I'm going to have at least two of Grin
French
Trade Count: (18)

Fav. Yo-Yo: the one I'm currently using
Fav. Trick: Lunar Landing

Thank You
-Given: 171
-Receive: 160

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 12:32:02 PM »

This sounds like a winner!

Myk_Myk
Trade Count: (4)

Fav. Yo-Yo: 2SickYoYos-Rook

Thank You
-Given: 402
-Receive: 137

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 03:27:20 PM »

We went with small bearing because we feel like no half-spec C bearing options feel right. The wind and regen just feels wrong on them, to us, when compared to classic responsive yoyos. Drew Tetz, Ed Haponik and Nate Sutter all had input into the shape and design. We didn't want to make a yoyo that plays fine unresponsive and modify it to play just ok responsive, we wanted it to be AIMED at pure responsive play, with unresponsive setups being the after thought. This one winds great, can be smooth and tug responsive and has just enough modern yoyo design into it to make it spin real good.

Yes this was exactly what I've been talking about, in reference to bearing choice!

OK, I'm going to make sure I have funds ready for this yoyo. I am buying it!

No, that's not Skoal in my pocket.

Looking for a "Big Deal"
ed
Professional
Trade Count: (16)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Wood is good.
Fav. Trick: Lunar Landing

Thank You
-Given: 246
-Receive: 1000

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2017, 05:32:42 AM »

20 years ago, we knew we had something special in modern yo-yoing, but were still figuring out what it was going to be. 15 years ago, we were establishing a direction and developing the technology to serve it. 10 years ago, there was an undercurrent of players starting to look back at the trick landscapes we'd overlooked, trying to connect with responsive play again, and find the best of both worlds. 5 years ago, there were players pushing a lo-fi, mid-school style, but most of the attempts at a "modern responsive" yo-yo had something missing.

This year...

If you have been following this thread, you will enjoy playing with this.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:45:01 PM by ed » Logged

If it ain't broke, fix it.
YouTube: @kinopah
Insta: @edhaponik
yoyospirit
Trade Count: (103)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Yoyojam Trinity
Fav. Trick: Gyroscopic Flop

Thank You
-Given: 233
-Receive: 806

Modder

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2017, 07:56:24 AM »

Self plug here!  I'll actually be releasing a small run of these soon, it's intended to be a lighter, responsive yoyo that anybody can play with.  The bearing is recessed, so the gap is much more narrow at 3.5mm, and will use OD 10 ball bearings and General Yo pads.  Currently being machined!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: