Customer Service      FAQ      Email Sign Up      My Account      View Cart     
YoYoExpert Forums
November 19, 2017, 10:48:56 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Forums!  Try out our new and improved chat room!

Home   Chat Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What makes a yo-yo "built for competition"?  (Read 1291 times)
Myk_Myk
Trade Count: (4)

United States United States

Fav. Yo-Yo: 2SickYoYos-Rook

Thank You
-Given: 410
-Receive: 138

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 06:11:04 PM »

yoyodoc, pretty much your entire post related to how specific competition yoyo designs are. Because they are signature models, and are therefore tweaked to the point of near exclusivity. Personally, I find even that argument as applied to signature competition yoyos to be a bit hyperbolic.

Regardless, either I'm not very bright, or you didn't express yourself very clearly. My apologies if it's the former.

No, that's not Skoal in my pocket.

Looking for a "Big Deal"
yoyodoc
Professional
Trade Count: (20)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Generalyo Ministar 2
Fav. Trick: Turbo encapsulator

Thank You
-Given: 167
-Receive: 2516

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 07:04:31 PM »

yoyodoc, it is possible to have a discussion without making a snide comment anytime anyone disagrees with you.  Instead of insulting anyone who read your original comment and came away with a different impression than you meant, you can just say "No, that isn't what I meant, sorry for the confusion".

No.  It's not possible.

Look who is talking.

You come in talking smack and instructing me how to speak?

Wha do you offer other than criticism?

Nothing.  Nuff said..

Fact is stranger than fiction
Lex
Trade Count: (0)

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Fav. Yo-Yo: VNYYC Ti-Walker
Fav. Trick: Some ghastly cannibalisation of concepts

Thank You
-Given: 30
-Receive: 31

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 07:13:45 PM »

Wha do you offer other than criticism?

Nothing.  Nuff said..
In regards to the OP, when I see a yoyo described as "built for competition" it usually tells me a few general things to expect.  The yoyo is most likely a V, H or W-shap (or some hybrid of them), will have low walls and an at least slightly larger gap width.  The yoyo will likely be full sized (~55-57mm diameter 42-44mm width) and likely won't have any crazy design features (e.g. the X3 Steamroller and Stampede or the YYF Turntable), usually opting for a sleek design.  The term usually applies to yoyos designed for 1a use (which is often transferable to 3a and 5a).  It will also use a C Bearing (though most yoyos do now), be rather rim-weighted and it is unlikely to have an IGR.

None of those are rock hard rules or anything, a yoyo can be "built for competition" and meet barely any of those criteria.  Those are just general characteristics that I associate with modern competition oriented yoyos.  In the end, it is just a marketing tool, meant to attract buyers looking for a certain type of yoyo (or just an insight into the original goal of the designer).  I wouldn't put a huge amount of stock into it, it is more useful to examine the yoyo itself and what people say about it if you want an idea of how it plays.

I'm sorry, you're right; I truly have not contributed at all to the actual topic of this post.  (This shall be my last post on this, sorry everyone for having contributed to derailing the thread).
Myk_Myk
Trade Count: (4)

Fav. Yo-Yo: 2SickYoYos-Rook

Thank You
-Given: 410
-Receive: 138

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »

For my part, I realize that I could have been more tactful in my first response to yoyodoc's post. For that, I apologize.  Smiley

No, that's not Skoal in my pocket.

Looking for a "Big Deal"
yoyodoc
Professional
Trade Count: (20)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Generalyo Ministar 2
Fav. Trick: Turbo encapsulator

Thank You
-Given: 167
-Receive: 2516

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 08:17:33 PM »

Well, I reread my original post a few times. I have decided that I could have made a few word changes that may have avoided brains colliding😳

The quote Lex noted.  I could have said 'Some Competition yoyos......'.  Instead I used, 'A Competition yoyo....'.

I can see how 'A' might be misinterpreted as 'All or Every Competition yoyo....'.

I feel I may have blended too many thoughts on the subject and obviously made it easier to find a few statements that didn't align as well as they could have.

Thinking and speaking/typing is much more spontaneous and open range than scripted dialogue.

I don't rehearse what I say/post.

From now on; I will read my posts a few times before I press enter🤓 To avoid being misunderstood for the most part.

So I also apologize for unintentionally creating any confusion.

Realize that in the past several years on this Forum; I have accumulated over 1000 Thank You's.

And I am pretty sure folks didn't thank me for intentionally confusing them. Lolol

But then Again...... ?

Fact is stranger than fiction
YoyoGeezer
Trade Count: (109)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Ti Walker, Draupnir
Fav. Trick: The one I can't quite get.

Thank You
-Given: 226
-Receive: 375

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 12:12:15 AM »

Maybe the question is: what makes a yo-yo a "non-competition" yo-yo?

While we all may argue the fine points of what makes a "competition" yo-yo; what do we make of a yo-yo  that is described as generally "not being a competition yo-yo"?

I think that description says way more than one that calls it a "competition" level yo-yo.
rizkiyoist

Indonesia Indonesia

Fav. Trick: 2a Clione

Thank You
-Given: 118
-Receive: 281

-Rizki Hadiaturrasyid-

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2017, 04:08:43 AM »

When a company say 'this yoyo is not a competition yoyo', that can be inferred as a yoyo that is difficult to use, meant for people who already have several yoyos and is looking for something different. Something like narrow with high wall. I doubt it will be someone's first yoyo.
I believe Onedrop released one but I forgot what it's called.

Any yoyo can actually be used as 'fun yoyo' or 'competition yoyo' though. Calling it either one to me is just another marketing strategy. Maybe someone doesn't know which yoyo to get, and seeing the cool phrase 'competition yoyo' might convince him to buy one.

"'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is the stupidest freaking saying in the world.
All of the amazing things, that have happened in human history, is because someone decided to take something they thought is working fine, break it and build something better." -Bryan Lunduke
You just wasted
Gabriel
Trade Count: (1)

Australia Australia

Fav. Yo-Yo: Compass or igloo
Fav. Trick: jade wipe

Thank You
-Given: 34
-Receive: 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2017, 04:18:09 AM »

Anything over $45 and personal preference. Wink
Kristiawan
Trade Count: (6)

Indonesia Indonesia

Fav. Yo-Yo: Capital's Serum, Revyolution K-2, Yoyofactory genesis
Fav. Trick: String trick

Thank You
-Given: 113
-Receive: 142

I want to keep making yoyo

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »

I think it's more of a manufacture thing, or what the designer of the yoyo want to archive.

StillinKansasCity
Trade Count: (33)

Fav. Yo-Yo: One Drop Project Two
Fav. Trick: The basic tricks are the best

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 42

One Drop Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 10:07:20 PM »

There was a guy who won Worlds with a Northstar, which is pretty cheap and made of a primitaive yoyo material called "plastic." I had a Northstar once, but I couldn't get the darn thing to win at anything.

Player matters, yoyo does not. "Competition" is a marketing term.

Thanks,
Alex
SteveOnDrums

Fav. Yo-Yo: Spyder or Musashi
Fav. Trick: anything i can pull off...

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 2

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 11:35:35 PM »

There was a guy who won Worlds with a Northstar, which is pretty cheap and made of a primitaive yoyo material called "plastic." I had a Northstar once, but I couldn't get the darn thing to win at anything.

Player matters, yoyo does not. "Competition" is a marketing term.

This "plastic", which I assume is pronounced "placed-ice", what is this you speak of? Lol

I guess that was my initial thought. My three main players, right now, are a Musashi, a Skyva, and a qv 5000. I can feel the different response from each of these throws, but I'm just as confident attacking a trick with the 20 dollar Skyva as I am with the 170 dollar Musashi.

I see a lot of the same throws being used in competition, but I'm curious why I don't see an inexpensive plastic in there. It might not be as precise as a high end metal/bimetal, but you can still pull if the same maneuvers.

Sent from my XT1585 using YoYoExpert mobile app

KiLbUcK
Trade Count: (34)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Duncan Velvet
Fav. Trick: Trying to constitute every new YoYo to my wife.

Thank You
-Given: 143
-Receive: 149

Highly Carnivorous

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 07:25:56 AM »

Quality materials designed with proper assembly.
Throwto100

Fav. Yo-Yo: Onedrop Benchmark O
Fav. Trick: circular horizontal gerbil

Thank You
-Given: 43
-Receive: 43

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 10:46:53 PM »

Duncan tournament. "Duncan tournaments are tested and approved for all tricks."
If it isn't a duncan, it isn't a yoyo😉