Titanium Tundra - CLYW x Luftverk (a deeper view) *added "follow up" 9/2/16*

Im here to talk about the CLYW x Luftverk Titanium Tundra.

This one is the AMS 2488 Hardcoat version. I think I have spent enough time with it exclusively to feel like I can talk about it as though I know what I am talking about. :wink:

preface OK, so just GETTING this thing is a story and a half, and I wont go into the details of the trials and tribulations I had to endure to get it. The friends that helped me, the miles I drove, money spent before I could even try to buy it.

I 100% would not be here writing this right now had it not been from the help of a forum buddy (now real life friend). Thank you!!!

First up. SPECS!!!

Finishes: Raw/AMS2488
Weight: 65.0g
Width: 43.1mm
Diameter: 55.2mm
Response: Snow Tires
Bearing: Stainless Centering/Full Ceramic (for AMS2488 only)
Limited: AMS2488 x 25 Raw x 30
Price for AMS2488: 350USD
Price for Raw: 290USD

(originally filmed for instagram which prefers vertical filming)

As of this writing, the Tundra was created by a one time collab between the artistic pruveyers of fine return tops (CLYW) and the Master of Titanium (Luftverk) that both came together to create a hybrid of both the companies best designs and attributes. This involved taking the cup of the elegant Octavia showing off a lighter hub, having its center concave, to center up horizontal finger spins for max stability and spin times. (side note, this also makes for a very short axle)
Also there is a decent area to pull of some great inner thumb grinds due to the cup’s lip.

Having its cup like this allows for minimal center weight. This resolves in a serious speed boost and stability. Tipping the scales at 64.7g, it’s light and its play reflects this lightness without being too “airy.” It can change direction effortlessly, has a lead foot on the gas pedal in a dragster. The quickness it can get to speed and the lack of resistance in stopping from said speed is more than noticible. It seems like it is breaking physics somehow, like collective pitch RC helicopters being able to fly upside down and make such sharp turns its startling, this is how the Tundra plays. This is by far the fastest and most nimble yoyo ive ever had the pleasure of throwing.

There is no thud on the bottom of the string, but it does have a presence. One of grace and precision, speed and stability.

In the hand you can feel the other parent of this offspring. Something that harkens back to an older time, a time where Puffin2s were in alot more hands than it is today. However it only feels that way at the rim. Going deeper into the body of the throw you can sense the curves and familiarity of the Chief, going deeper towards the bearing we find a step from the Borealis’ design, giving way to the Snow Tires that we all love so much. Not much to add other than these are pretty much a perfect response system. CLYW is really on top of their game. I ended up taking out the white Snow Tires and putting in blue ones, more suiting for the “tundra” scheme.

The bearing is a Full Ceramic concave type in shape, seems a slightly lower wall than KonKave, feels closer to Pixel bearings in the bind. A very subtle difference but one I wanted to note.
I have never had a full ceramic bearing before, so this was all new to me. Being able to use water to clean it is very handy. Not needing lube is nice too, but I did add some thin to quiet it down just a tad. Ceramic Hybrids are louder than steel when dry, but full ceramics are even louder than hybrids. So while it wasnt necessary, I wanted to for the sake of others around me when Im throwing. I dont want to bug em.
Taking the bearing out to lube it made me marvel at how this kind of thing could even exist. Truly a feat of engineering magnificence. I mean LOOK AT IT!

Speaking of its sound, I have to put this in here. There is something special about Titanium yoyos. No doubt. Anyone who has thrown one will tell you there is just something about them. The sound will inevetible come up. The ring of the Ti a it grazes the string, or your fingernail is a bell straight from where the Angels live. And I did mention the hiss of ceramic bearings, but it gets even better when you mix these two certain things together.
A full ceramic bearing inside a Ti yoyo can make a resonance that creates a harmonic or overtone above the hiss. A hypnotic and ethereal sound that seems to emanate from beyond. I put my favorite (pixel) bearing in it and it felt weird, heavy, and lost its magical overtones. I put the Full ceramic in my favorite non Ti throw (Manatee) and it played alright, sounded hissy, but also had lost its overtones. Maybe I was imagining things?
Nope. I put it all back how it was and hear for yourself. This is just a tiny sample.

be sure your volume is up, this is not a loud snippet

The finish on this masterpiece is also unique. It is a special Ti ano called AMS2488. This is a hard coating used in the military, aerospace, and medical industries as a dry lubricant to reduce friction without needing maintenance or additional lubes used in the future. This is an interesting and labor intensive process that involves multiple sessions and blasting treatments as there is a residue that happens during the ano that cant just be wiped off. So its quite the ordeal. The finished product is outstanding to say the least. Not in color or visual flair, but in feel and performance.

It feels like Teflon! Slick and smooth, and one of the more grind friendly finishes. Even in high humidity or sweaty hands, this beast glides on. Only one yoyo I have seen do better at grinds, and that is my first run Manatee.

The packaging is also suiting. Since there seemed to have no expense spared in the creation of this, its only fitting that the packaging also has the same love, attention, and flair found in the yoyo. From the outer sleeve, to the box, to the stained wood cover, you can just feel it. Premium. The commemorative Patch is perfect, even the foam cut out for the string, every part was though of.

You might already know also that most of the limited run was destroyed(!!) by the anodizers which made demand even higher and supply even lower. There might be a B-grade release but this is not confirmed. Only 30 Raw, 25 HardCoat, and something like 6 or 7 colored (green and pink) made it out alive and for sale. Half went to Worlds 2016 and the other half was sold online about a week later. The online sales sold out within 30 seconds. The table at Worlds was sold out of Tundra before Jeffery (Luftverk) could even arrive to the venue!

My friend got me the first one from behind the table, the first one sold to the public, and it was the last one off the line.

;D

All in all I’m very lucky, and on the hunt for another one. Mostly to keep one pristine because the other will be near by, ready to be thrown or being thrown at any time. Ive not stopped throwing it for weeks now.

I just hope they make more of them. Not a revamp, not a v2, just another run. Because more people need to be able to throw these. Its simply not fair. I understand that the price is high compared to most yoyos in the market, but this yoyo is good enough to be one of your only yoyos. 4 quarters over a hundred pennies eh? This is one quarter worth getting.

So, if you are still reading this, Thank you for making it this far!

TL/DR - It plays plays something from space. It sounds like something from Heaven. It looks like something from a centerfold.

Thanks again,
InvaderDust

ONE MONTH AFTER FIRST THROW

Guys, this thing is serious. I knew it was good, but wow. Its off the charts. It just so smooth, so sleek, so futuristic looking.
The Tundra just plays SO fast but has zero problems going as slow as you can go. The tings and hums it makes during play makes me smile everytime. I just love it. Without a doubt or hesitation, my #1 favorite throw of all time. I did hear that there will be a “Fools Gold” drop of the others, that thats good news for everyone out there looking to get one, (and you should be!) so good luck!

Final thought.
Every throw is like chasing the dragon. I just need one more bind…

Do you have a mint AMS Tundra for sale? PM me, I got you. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wish I bought one of these when I was at worlds. I picked one up and was about to but it and my girlfriend freaked out about spending that much on a yoyo:( this is why you don’t bring your ladies to a competition lol. I did however get a salmon compass and a FG snowcone blizzard for $80 each. And a week later I got a dugong manatee. Still wish I would have bought the tundra. You are a lucky man dust.

2 Likes

Excellent write up. By the time I got to worlds I didn’t see any. Otherwise, I would of bought one throw instead of 8. Lol. Here’s for hoping there is another run.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to read it! I would have done the same thing had I not been able to snag a tundra. And yes. Here’s hoping for another run!!!

Thanks! You got some great throws though. Manatee is one of my favs and those snow cones. Mmmmm!!
I had given my wife weeks of heads up and savings (eating ramen again, and no fun money till worlds) I was lucky she understood.

Great review; thanks for posting! Makes me want to get my hands on one and at least try it.

Thanks buddy! I hope many many people get to try one. At Worlds everyone who talked to me for the most part was offered to throw it. Most accepted. haha

I knew you liked than manatee, your review of it made me want to buy my own lol. You weren’t wrong, it’s amazing. I also am digging my delicious snowcone:)

1 Like

Follow up/Final thoughts added to OP

Thank you for the review. Really glad you like it so much :slight_smile:

Jeff

1 Like

Awesome follow up. Hell, congrats even Dust! Thats wicked!

1 Like

I need one so badly lol!

We all have our “Holy Grail” yoyos. This one was mine, and I never thought I would actually obtain it. Now I wonder whats gonna be good enough to make me want IT instead (or in addition to, rather)

when you remove the bearing (to clean it, for example) be careful not to drop it … it’s not as hard as you might think.

That sucks man!

Oh no! Ill send you a PM with info on how to get a new replacement.

Is not of the Tundra, was of The Shield of Jazz-yo … but is indifferent, this is what can happen to all full-ceramic if they fall with a certain angle … a steel bearing… bounce, a bearing in ceramic… breaks in two parts …

P.S. 20$ and I bought a new one (KK) ::slight_smile:

I hate that the anodizer messed up the bearing seat on those, I would have been able to have gotten one them.

The hurt ones got sold as Fools Gold direct from CLYW a couple months ago. Most of the vibe was tunable to some extent. Some more than others, but I was able to get 2, and make a very smooth one from picking from the 4 halves, and a BUNCH of different bearings. Ended up trading one for a Peak. :slight_smile:

After all this time, the Tundra (AMS) is still my #1 favorite throw.

1 Like

I am so excited … getting one this week!!!

But have a few guys asking if I wanna buy their FG too…

Is it worth it ? Most want retail for it.

If you can get A grade, i would. If your A grade got dinged and you want a mint for display, got for FG. Most of the FG vibe can be tuned out to some extent. Its a gamble, but even the wosrt vibe shouldbt be felt on the string, so its really no biggie.