Wood anybody?

I just snagged the basecamp wooden yo, i havent used a decent wooden yo in forever!

Keep in mind that waxing it too much will make it responsive and whack your knuckles if you’re not careful.

The way you break in a wood axle is to take some thick packaging string (any string really, but the thick stuff works well), wrap it around the axle a couple of times, leaving about a foot on each end, and pulling it back and forth a few times until it feels smooth.

Thanks for the reminder! Just tried it last weekend, apply a small amount of burt’s bees wax and put the string as it is, no extra loops as I do before. It is now 100% tug responsive.

Though I am having a little problem with snap start. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it will just slip and go dead quickly. A few more play time and I will get it soon. ;D

Here is my newest, and is already growing to be my favorite. As some of you know Hildy Bros. started to make their Currier in a take-a-part design. The Currier was already one of my favorites. Luke made me a custom Currier out of oak that was originally a whisky barrel. So I reached out to him again and asked him if he could make me one of the take apart Currier’s with a gold finish, also gave him a weight I wanted. He nailed it!

Also, if you saw my post on Instagram, this was the yoyo I was waiting for. For some reason USPS kept sending it back and forth between IL & VA for 2 weeks, just back and forth, back and forth. So I joked with Luke that if he ever offers this finish he has to come up with some name that refers to the USPS fiasco ;D

Impressive!

Awesome!

AaronW, that is fantastic. Is the finish paint or some high tech secret stuff?

I’m guessing it’s some type of lacquer. But I don’t know what he uses. Because of the transitioning back and forth across the country it formed a finish check in the paint, that’s why I’m guessing a lacquer.

Well, it looks fantastic! :o

Hey everyone my first attempt at a wood yoyo. Well actually it’s my first serious attempt with good wood and real tools I practiced on some junk wood first but anyways here it is…

It actually plays really good. I’m super happy with how it turned out. It’s made of maple and has an oak axle. Let me know what you think. I’m going to try to get set up a bit better and then I might just start a lil business selling some. Pm if you are interested in me making you one. Thanks guys :slight_smile:

It looks like you have a good start and I look forward to seeing what
you will acomplish

Yeah, nice job!

Toby, that looks fantastic. I’m happy to see more people showing off their craftmanship

Thanks guys. Thanks again for the strings French. I really appreciate it.

happy to help. Glad to see more people playing fixed!

I created a new Facebook page for OUT and posted a few pictures of some new stuff that will be coming to YYYE soon. Check it out :wink:

2 Likes

Does anyone know how to build o-ring/response pads or put on friction sticker pads if you are attaching them to a home-made wood side of a yo yo? I am struggling on getting my yo yo to return back up.

1 Like

Which yoyo do you have?

I am attempting to make my own. I currently have flat sides with no indentations.

Coild you post a picture here?

1 Like