Bearing Troubles

Hey folks,

So I’ve been yoyoing for about 4 years, and in that time, I’ve never had a bearing break down on me… until these past two weeks. I’ve somehow had 6 bearings of varying age and style wear down and start playing responsively in the past two weeks. They just start making this rough grinding noise when spinning, and then shortly after go responsive. I can’t see much consistency; some of these are bearings in yoyos I’ve been using loads, and others are brand new bearings in yoyos I’ve barely touched. I’m using fat string across the board.

Normally I wouldn’t be so worried, but I’m planning on competing for the first time this coming weekend, so… going into panic mode! :stuck_out_tongue: Any help?

clean and lightly lube. If that doesn’t work replace them.

Clean your bearings in a non-water solution, like pure acetone. You can lightly lube your bearing, as recommended, but remember you would have to break in the lube a little for it to play completely unresponsive. Some bearings don’t need lube anyway. Make sure that your bearings have shields. But also, keep in mind where you throw. Try not to throw in places that are humid, dusty, construction areas, and don’t let your bearing get in wet places, places with a lot of lint or dust, and the such. Good luck and I hope you do well in your competition.