CLYW Snow Tires

hi all,
I bought a Borealis a while back and noticed that the snow tires are very grabby. I tried to keep playing them but nothing has really changed. The string rubs on the snow tires and significally reduces the spin time. It’s very hard to execute tricks with this yoyo as is. Has any one experience the same this and how did you fix it?

Are the pads perhaps falling out of their grooves? If that’s happening then just replace the response pads (snow tires, silicone, whatever). Check that it isn’t the bearing either, there might be some dirt in it which you can either clean out or if it’s really bad, swap the bearing. Hope that helps.

I’m sure it’s not the bearing because I changed it twice. Also the same bearing works fine on another yoyo. I’m pretty sure the problem is caused by the snow tires but I can’t see anything wrong with them with an eye inspection. It’s not only the spin time that is compromised, the pads have introduced also a very strong vibe that has become very annoying.

Maybe post a picture of the pads so we can see. Try pushing them down in if you can, it might also be worth trying out new pads…

That is, if it is in fact the pads. I’ve personally never had a problem with pads in any of my yoyos, especially not Caribou Lodge, so if it is a problem with your pads, rest assured that it is a very very rare problem. Also, you said the string is rubbing against them, which I find off since the Caribou Lodge yoyos come with a Center Trac? Maybe you just need to give more time for the bearing to break in.

One more thing to possibly check, what string are you using and how thick is it?

Not sure if these photos would help but here is how they look like. As for the bearing and strings, I’m using Konkave and Kitty Fat. I have read that the snow tires can be really grabby at the beginning, maybe I just got a pair that is really hard to break in? I will try to push down the pads with my fingers and if that doesn’t work I will replace them.

The pads look fine, so I suggest you just keep playing them. I have had yoyos that are grabby in the beginning, but if you play them long enough, the pads will wear down and be normal again. If you don’t want to do that, go ahead and replace the pads.

Mine was really bad also it still is not great but the string they sent with it is very thin so i used it for a while until i got some normal kitty in. I use thicker string usually but not with this one.
Its better now but i still might silicone it.