Cloud String Written Review

DISCLAIMER: Although I received this string for testing at no cost, I am going to try to do this review as unbiased as possible so people who are interested can have an accurate representation of the string and if they want to buy it.

ALSO: This is my written review of Cloud String. I am also making a type of review/promo video for it that might come this weekend. Watch this space!

So, Cloud String. Let’s get to it!

First Impressions

So at first upon seeing products, I usually tend to look at price. At $4 a string, I was taken aback. Why is this string so expensive? As I read the description, I read that it was made to last much longer and be used for whippy and fast competitive play. This interested me because usually these types of string are rough on the fingers for fast play. I decided to contact Quinton for a few and was very excited to how they might turn out.
 On receiving the product, a lot of things stood out to me. The first thing was the color of the string. It has a very bright sheen and stands out amid my other neon yellow strings. It seems like it is much glossier than the others. The other thing that came right to my mind as soon as one was in my hand was its bouncy quality. The other reviews do not lie when they say that this string is bouncy, almost like a spring. I was surprised at how short it looked. (but after play it stretches out.). An additional thing that I saw was the thickness of it. It was very thin looking and wound very tightly, that I had to struggle a bit to get the loop open to put on the bearing/yoyo.

Play

The string is like nothing I've played before as of yet. When first using any string, one might perceive that the string has bounce to it. But after trying Cloud String, you can see what bounce truly is. It is almost elastic feeling at first, because I was not used to it. One of the first things I did when trying this string was to try whips. 

Woahhhhh

Whips are exceptional with this string. It cuts through the air very fast, and if you’re that type of person who likes doing a lot of whips and hooks then this might be a very good choice you want to look at. I was able to do 3 hooks in one go, instead of the normal 2. I’m not saying that this will give you a huge advantage, but it does make it easier for those trying to learn the motions. I really enjoy doing slacky or whippy stuff with this string.

Speed: It takes some time getting used to the play of this string. When using other strings such as YYE’s or Kitty’s, Cloud String has a much different feel. Since I play relatively fast, I had to slow down my play a little bit because the springy feel of Cloud String made the yoyo bounce almsot too fast. Once I got used to it, I could move as fast as I liked and it definitely, in my opinion, made quick play really fun because the yoyo seems to bounce every which way. This string definitely does not slow you down.

Feel: I was fully expecting this string to be on the rough side, and give burns when playing quickly. TO my surprise, it wasn’t as bad as I had expected. The string is a different type of soft, one I would describe to be like a synthetic string, springy and giving but also pretty taut. During play, the string may slide along your finger, which I find to have less friction and less prone to giving string burn. However, once you use it for a period of time you find that your fingers are raw from extended play. Something to think about before you buy, although I wouldn’t say this is a total dealbreaker.

Durability: This string does what it claims. I think I’ve had this string for about a week, and played with it constantly. Tension doesn’t go haywire after extended periods of use; it does decline in quality, but it doesn’t go bad after only a few binds. I find this very encouraging because Kitty String does tend to have really bad tension control after it has been used for a while. I would definitely say that this is a “longterm” type of string. There are little no fraying, due to the material that it is made out of. After a few hours of play, it does stretch out. A thing that happened (which may be good or bad, I can’t say, up to you) that I thought was neat was that as the tension needed to be adjusted more and more, the string would become/feel much shorter. I could differentiate easily whether or not it needed to be adjusted because I would feel the difference in length. Again, something to keep it mind, I thought it was pretty cool myself.

Main Differences between “typical” strings (Kitty and YYE) and Cloud String
-CS lasts much longer, little to no fraying, stretches quite a bit after play
-Color of CS retained after long play times
-Completely different in feel. Soft/Rigid vs. Taut/Bouncy/Loose (CS is able to be stretches as if it were a rubber band; Kitty is constant and gives little stretch)

Strings that I might compare Cloud String to (for those who don’t own this but might own another like it)
-Definitely Dragon String in it’s makeup and feel, but CS is softer on the hands. Both provide very adequate whips, and CS is much better at holding tension and is more tightly wound. But if you were to play a Dragon String, you would be able to guess how a CS plays like

Conclusion:
Cloud String is a very unique string that I would recommend if you have a few extra dollars. For the price, you might balk, but it is a very unique string that I think offers very good fun and a different aspect to your yoyoing. It can help you play fast, aid whips, and offers this bounce that I do not get from any other string. You should seriously consider buying one as I think the worth and really fun that it brings is good enough to justify its price.

Any questions? Feel free to ask, I’ll try to answer them as honestly as possible :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With the string being thinner, do you find any kickback when you throw? I’m conducting some experiments with my own take on the string (I should just buy one on my next order). Sounds very similar to the nylon I’m twisting, has a very synthetic, plastic-y feel.

Isn’t it $4 for a 10 pack of strings? Not $4 per string?

1 string = $4

Yep, definitely has that synthetic-y feel. Kickback, I don’t really know what it means to be honest, but it unravels pretty smoothly. I have to check that, but if it did I might have noticed.