Sengoku Hideyoshi: A High Speed YoYo Review

It has been around eight months since I first set my hands on a Sengoku product and they are currently up to their third full release. For those that are unfamiliar, Sengoku is a newer company out of Japan that is specializing in high end, multi-metal designs while pushing yo-yo innovation though the use of different materials and unique designs. Company owner, Julio Robles, takes quite a bit of pride in coming up with new ways of doing things in order to make his products. While I started off the first review in jest, I can honestly say that, after playing their first two products, this company is no joke and people are starting to take notice. One side effect of the rising popularity is that there had been some mistaken reports that the company was not truly Japanese but importing designs from China. Those reports have since been clarified when a Japanese retailer produced a day trip video with Robles to Sengokuā€™s contracted Japanese machine shop and filmed the Masamune run being created. With that being said, Sengoku has decided to go a similar route that other companies have taken and outsource a higher end design to a Chinese machine shop in order to keep the retail price down. The difference is that while most companies like CLYW and YYF are outsourcing their bimetals to China, Sengoku did it with the Hideyoshi releaseā€¦ a tri-metal yo-yo with a 7075 body, steel rings over the rims and brass rings in the cup. The big question that always comes up when we hear a company has outsourced their manufacturing to China is ā€œwill this harm their quality?ā€ That is something I plan on checking out today with a review of what is being dubbed ā€œthe worldā€™s first tri-metal yo-yoā€.

Click here to continue reading the review.

Absolutely first-rate review of this unique yo-yo.

You are so right when you say:

[i] "The play on this yo-yo is downright crazy"[/i]

One minute it is solid, laid back, the next it is a rocket sailing around your fingers at light-speed. The combination of materials gives this yo-yo completely unique play.

The one adjective that does not apply to this yo-yo is ā€œfloatā€.

Anyone considering designing a modern multi-material yo-yo should give this a try.

1 Like

I take it that you also agree that it is incredibly hard to truly describe the way it plays. It is a yoyo that must be experienced instead of just read about.

1 Like

You would be correct. I think it is hard to ā€œnail downā€ its feel because the yo-yo seems to change its play characteristics as you add and subtract energy.

That is about the best I can doā€¦

BTW; it is totally strange to be agreeing with you on ā€¦anything. :o

^ I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship. ;D

Iā€™ll admit, when guys like you two who have tried more yoyos that Iā€™ve had hot dinners start making statements like this:

It gives me instant interest in purchasing one. I was a bit on the fence with the Hideyoshi but this is really pushing me towards buying one. I just hope they make a black or raw one. :slight_smile:

Thanks for another great review Chris!

I guess this comments dispel the skepticism of some people about if a second ring was necessary.

ā€œI just hope they make a black or raw oneā€ what about blue?

I have a considerably sizable number of yoyos.

One of them is a Sengoku Hideyoshi.

I have a number of Excellent playing yoyos.

One of them is the Hideyoshi.

Of all the yoyos I have, I do not have any yoyo that plays better or is more fun to play with than my Hideyoshi.

I am not saying a better yoyo cannot be made.

I am not saying that if ā€˜youā€™ donā€™t have or never ever get a Hideyoshi that it would be a crushing blow to humanity.

I am not saying that yoyoing is lifeless and unfun without a Sengoku.

What I am saying is that the Hideyoshi is ā€˜to meā€™ the best playing yoyo I own.

ā€¦and I usually throw it with Cloud string attached. And that combination is Completely Nuts, lolol!

3 Likes

Mo has spoken. Iā€™ll take a blue one please. ;D

1 Like

Will be released next month, keep tunned :slight_smile:

That looks like a really intense blue ano-color. It reminds me of the Sturm Panzer - Schneiderā€™s blue they released recently. Absolutely vivid. It seems that the anodizers are upping their game too.