My new journey into the world of kendama

Don’t know why I can’t put all three videos in the same message. Sorry for multiple replies.

That is awesome man! I’ve never learned how to do base to airplane, and ufo’s are crazy hard. Keep at it. You’re improving much faster than I did. I just don’t play enough though.

Oh, and the Facebook Kendama Community is much more active than this place if you’re looking for more online inspiration. Also, check out the tutorials at Kendama USA for more trick ideas.

thanks man! I don’t get much time for it either. Since the first post, I’ve really only practiced 2 or 3 other times. And that was more for like 5-10 minutes trying to relearn earth turn and failed lighthouses(sweets focus is way to slick). Other than that, the other night was the only other time. I spent s good amount of time trying to land em and film em though.

Seems like you’re improving pretty quickly! Definitely check out the Kendama USA tutorials as mentioned above, they break down the tricks really well and make them easy to understand.

Thanks guys. I will check out the videos from kendama USA.

I have a lot of improving to do. Although it may seem like I’m progressing rather quickly, I am very inconsistent. It took me a lot of attempts to get them on tape. If I had recorded the entire duration till I landed it, no one would have been watching long enough to see it. But, baby steps. I don’t get how you guys bang all these tricks out one after another without fail… Truly impressive.

I agree, Kendama is hard. Really hard. Now you’ve inspired me to,try it again.

You want to crank up the difficulty? Get a spin top as well ;D

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Makes me wanna try it. Are there like levels of kendamas(?) I need to go do some research.

I just got a sweets f3 chameleon marble and it’s quite nice for 20 something dollars. And looks gorgeous. Just don’t get a sweets focus. The f3 Ken is a big upgrade. Not to mention the tama is really slick on my focus compared to my marble.

Oh yeah, I saw that one on your Instagram, it looks sick! It’s outta stock though, kinda sad really. I’ll still check around and see if I can find one. If not, I’ll just get a different color. ::slight_smile:

oh. Lucky me. Not sure about the other colors, but the chameleon has the perfect amount of tackiness out of box. Hopefully the other colors such as clearcoats and fog or whatever has the same paint. But the Ken will all be the same. F3 kens are so much nicer than the focus. Haven’t touched my focus with mint tama since I got my new f3. Whatever you choose, you’ll be happy since you’re not really gonna be focusing on balance tricks like lunars any time soon. Don’t even know where to begin with lunars…

Oooooohhh I found one! So excited. Should be here tomorrow or the day after. How’re the tricks coming along for you? I wanna see a Lunar.

Haven’t played kendama since Christmas break. Had a back injury and I’m almost back to health. So I’ll be pickin one up soon.

Oh man, that sucks. Get better soon!

Wow, hope you’re feeling better soon.

Thanks guys. I’m feeling better to start throwing some dama again, just haven’t really been in the mood lately. Nor have I had the time. Thinking about grabbing a mystery box from sweets.

All of the most recent generation Sweets have their Pro Clear (clear coat) over the paint so they will all break in pretty tacky. Also, Roots has pretty sticky paint as well, I just don’t care for their kens as much. The silk paints that KendamaUSA, and others, use is nice too. Not sticky but not slick either.

Also, if you really want something nice, get an RWB (www.rwbmfg.com). Made in USA and they also make Grain Theory kendamas.

1 Like

Strange, but a couple of days ago I was practicing Kendama and thinking how it would be a great low impact (almost no impact) exercise for people recovering from knee or back injuries. Because we use our legs so much in the throw while keeping our back straight Kendama could be used as a recovery exercise.

oh. I didn’t mention it was lower back radiating down my leg. That’s why I’ve been holding off.