Impressive Intermediate Tricks?

Yuukified poutine bucket is pretty awesome

1 Like

Lotus Bloom is a pretty popular trick:

Obviously it depends on your definition of “Intermediate”, but it’s not all that difficult and it looks pretty slick. :slight_smile:

^ That is pretty sweet looking as well.

and finally…

:smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks guys! Looks like I have a couple things to practice.

I found this one, and it’s a lot of fun, so I thought I’d add it on.

I haven’t learned this one yet, but it doesn’t look too difficult. Candy Slack comes before this one, because it’s awesome.

There’s a trick here

1 Like

This one may be above the ‘intermediate’ level, but he breaks it down really well in the tutorial and it looks super impressive.

2 Likes

This one’s pretty cool, I came up with it (I think) I call it “Houdini’s Triangle”, I don’t have a tutorial yet, but I’ll do a not so in depth description.

1. Houdini Mount

2. First part of Candy Slack (0:19 to 0:24 in the Candy Slack video in a post above)

3. Swing the yoyo towards you under the two strings, and then in one motion pop it back over and onto the front string.

(EDIT: Added a step to avoid confusion) 4. Drop the string on your NTH index finger.

1. Take your NTH index finger and put it where your NTH thumb is.

2. Drop the string on your TH.

3. You should have a pseudo GT now! Just like the one in Gondola.

I hope you can figure it out from that, I wanna make a video on it, I just need to convince my parents that I’m not gonna be murdered for a month of Sundays if my face is on the Internet.

1 Like

Hey guys, thank you very much for all these suggestions. I’ve been feeling stale with my yoyoing and these suggestions are great.

The Trap Tower falls into the low difficulty category and finishes into a double or nothing.  It is easy to learn and may fall into being an advanced beginner trick.  Here is a link to the Trap Tower tutorial https://youtu.be/XrgSYGy14Kc .

2 Likes

I should say that because of this thread I’ve been practicing The Gondola and Lotus Bloom all week. Great Tricks. Gondola was the easier of the two by far. The exit of Lotus Bloom took some study but I’m now getting it.

Thank you for the great suggestions.

Nice!

I like Gondola after a Magic Drop and Shock-wave. Shock-wave sets you up for it perfectly.

After even more practice I’ve got the first 3 tricks down. I thought I’d share some things I noticed while learning them.

Gondola: Great trick. If you don’t do this trick yet it’s the easiest of the ones shown here so far. I love the look of throwing the slack around to your index finger. Make sure your string tension is good though. I like to end the trick by going directly into a brother slack.

Lotus Bloom: Great intermediate trick. The hardest part for me was trying to understand the dismount from the video. Watch closely to see the position of your throw hand and the yoyo to dismount it correctly. The first three moves aren’t too hard. Notice how he’s using two fingers on his non-throw hand when throwing the initial Double or nothing. That helps a lot.

Candy Slack: That was quite a bit harder than lotus bloom. On the first toss it’s easy to either drop the yoyo off of the string OR not reject the string at all and end up with a loop around the yoyo. The key seemed to be how he keeps his throw hand palm up and rotates it palm down while doing the first toss of the yoyo over the houdini mount.

The first slack move is fairly easy if you have good string tension. But I found that while you’re throwing this slack I needed to point my throw hand index away and down to slide the string to the base of my index finger. Moving the string to the base of the finger makes the looping move much easier. Notice that the yoyo does a figure 8. Try to make the 3 moves, clockwise around the NTH, counter clockwise around the TH, and clockwise around the NTH a single move.

The final slack was tough until I realized that I need to turn my NTH palm up, pinch all the strings, but don’t push the strings together, and then use a palm up to palm down motion to whip the yoyo and string around my hand. That helps to keep the slack open. And of course, once you do a quick untwist of the NTH index finger you’re back into the houdini mount which means this trick is a repeater.

Time to move on to the Montgomery Twist.

1 Like

Can you already hit a wrist mount?
If so then the trick is not hard, and if not, then it’s a good reason to learn it.
Good luck, it’s one of my favorites.

I can hit the wrist mount, and I can do almost all of Spirit Bomb except for that last hop. Luke gave me some good tips on landing it and that’s helping. It’s just going to take more practice.

So yeah, it will be good to have a 2nd trick which uses the wrist mount because it’s a cool looking mount.

I haven’t totally followed this thread, but I would like to mention that Rancid Milk and Vector are really awesome tricks.

I don’t know about Vector, but Rancid Milk hardly qualifies as an “impressive intermediate trick”. It’s firmly in the Advanced category, and it’s hard to say if spectators would find it as impressive as even a simple gondola. Gondola is magic to them. Rancid Milk is mostly cat’s cradle to them.

I LOVE that trick, but it’s a yoyoer’s yoyo trick for sure.

1 Like

I thought I was the only one.
This one gets mentioned all the time, but it’s definitive not easy, and it’s not as impressive to non throwers.

I would expect comments like “Yeah, but can you walk the dog?”

2 Likes

Wow, I thought this was a yoyo community. ???

Any trick done smoothly and well will look good!

If you wanna impress people just get smoother! Make it look effortless, some speed but not like you’re trying.

I see a lot of people just check tricks off the list without getting close to doing it smoothly. Its not just the tricks it’s how you do them!
thats my 2 cents, and I’ve been wooing moms in the grocery store for yearrrrs.

1 Like