Anyone Still Collecting Kuhn?

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for those many color-ways Tom. :wink:

Was the SB-2 the first to get the splash anodized color treatment?

Wow, thanks buddy ol’ pal. Without those colorways, I’d have that extra $20 for nothing.

Tom Kuhn is the reason we have yoyos with bearings.

1 Like

Posted this in the TK Appreciation thread too (along with my “wanted” list), but… yes, I’m still collecting TK. Although mainly just No Jives. It’s definitely gotten slower/tougher lately.

5 Likes

WOW!!! Nice.

We’re gonna need more, closer, and larger pics here @edhaponik :wink:

Also is this really true? Can anyone substantiate this claim, with a pic?

Yes “tortoise” SB-2 was the first anodized aluminum yoyo (and so the first fancy/splash ano). I sold mine years ago but the first ones (which predate the rereleases with “bc” serial numbers) were among the first SB-2 variations after the raw aluminum ones.

Lol I’ve taken tons of No Jive collection pics in the past. I’ll take a current one.

Edit: this one is pretty much current actually.

10 Likes

Is that an Aspen Mandala next to the 84’ Olympics?!

Wasn’t Perkins in about the same time frame for splash anodizing??:thinking:image image image

2 Likes

I don’t know Perkins well enough but the Tortoise Sb2 was 1992-3 and by 1995 they were doing a range of colors. I can’t imagine Perkins was that early? I was pretty sure Tortoise was the first.

@mrciurleo no it’s even cooler! That is a clean machine which was hand carved by Gus Somera and the personal No Jive of Stu Crump!

3 Likes

Man I’d love to have a laminate.

Also Tom Kuhn sure loved the crap out of laser etching, geez :wink:

Also @edhaponik sorry to be a stickler about this, but it’d be nice to have a full-resolution uploaded version of this image versus the resized one instagram serves :wink:

2 Likes

I think Perkins was late 90’s…

1 Like

Hahaha I’ll look on my hard drive. If o can’t find one it may be until I have an afternoon to empty the No Jive drawer lol!

1 Like

Sorry, I have a prurient interest in this sort of thing, I am ashamed to say.

1 Like

Alas that pic was in the dead zone when my phone died. I’ll take a new one sometime soon.

Meanwhile, here’s a 1994 Tort.
tksb2

I have so many weird old TK pics Tom and Brad sent me while I was working with them.
OCEAN%20BERG%20%26%20TK%20Yo-Yo%20booth%20
NojiveAdTom-skate-yoing
BigYo%20Tom%20Pier%2039

6 Likes

I still collect TK, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
John Narum sold this on the BST here, I had been looking for one for ages!14752341812_a194dbb86b_b

6 Likes

Few of my favorites…image image image

5 Likes

I don’t collect them like Ed does/has, but I have a nice collection, and am always on the lookout for a few that I haven’t been able to get yet.

1 Like