General Cubing help Thread

Most algorithms will be found here.
http://algdb.net
This is the best resource for Speedsolving algorithms.

Recently I got one of my best friends into cubing and he is a relative beginner, he averages 50-1:00. He has been asking me for websites to learn from and it made me realize how hard it is for a beginner to find solid resources on speedcubing.

I essentially started this thread to provide a place where current and future speed cubers on the forum can go for advice, and resources.

The post will be split up into three separate categories, which are essentially beginner, intermediate, and advanced. I will not be commenting on anything that is above my skill level, and so I may get Kennan to help out with an expert section later.

Gear:

Just like with yoyoing, hardware in the hobby of cubing is very important. Some people profess that it is better to use a Rubik’s brand cube when you are starting out. I disagree with this sediment. Using a Rubik’s brand promotes bad habits, such as wrist turning. Using a speed cube from the start promotes good habits such as finger-tricks, and a more enjoyable experience.

(PM me if you want to know where to get these)

Beginner:

55mm/57mm Dayan Zhanchi:
This is my personal recommendation for a first speed-cube. It was my first one and I’d recommend it to anyone. It can take you from over a minute down to sub 8 seconds.

YJ Guanlong
This is also a very good speed cube, it is one that I currently use often, and I know a sub 12 cuber that uses it as his main cube. The biggest selling point is the low price. It can be found for around 3-4 dollars.

Shengshou Aurora
Once again a very nice cube, and one that can be used by very fast cubers and slower ones too. Extremely smooth and quiet, this is a great cube.

Dayan Guhong V2
Used by Alex Lau. Enough said. Great cube once it’s set up right.
Alex Lau is one of two people who have gotten a sub 7 average of 100 for those who do not know.

Intermediate:

There aren’t many cubes that are specifically good for intermediate cubers, however a few good cubes do exist. If you are intermediate you will be able to use any cube on either of these lists without any trouble.

YJ yulong/chilong/sulong
The entire YJ lineup is very good for intermediate cubers.

Advanced:

An advanced cuber will be able to use any cube without issues, however, these are generally considered the best cubes.

Mini Moyu Aolong
My current main, phenomenal cube. Probably the best cube on the market for people with smaller hands. Corner cutting is ridiculous, and is fast with or without lube.
I recommend weight 3 and Maru lube.

Moyu Weilong
Another good cube, and it is loved by many, I however do not like it’s blocky feel. Still a great performing cube. Very fast.

Moyu Aolong V2
Phenomenal cube, more stable than the mini aolong but a bit slower.
Probably the best all around cube currently on the market.

Gans 357/356
I haven’t used either of these but the 357 is the current world record average holders main cube. He has achieved a 6.69 ao100 with this cube. The 356 has just come out but it has gotten reviews that put it on par, or better than the 357.

Yuxin 3x3
Amazing corner cutting and speed in a cube that is 9 dollars.

Moyu Hualong
Essentially a improved weilong.
I will post my thoughts when it arrives.

Beginner> :40

Method
At this point in time, when you are just starting speedcubing, method may not seem like a big deal, but trust me, it is essential to start laying a foundation with proper solving methods.

The best beginner tutorial in my own opinion is one by badmephisto. He teaches a layer by layer method that is easily built upon into more advanced methods, such as CFOP.
http://badmephisto.com/

Another great tutorial is one by Dan Brown. This is a tried and true tutorial that is extremely popular. In fact, the current world record holder for 3x3 average used this tutorial to learn. Do not let this sway your decision, as he says that badmephisto is better. It should also be noted that this is not as easily built upon as the previous tutorial.

Tips:
You will want to be color neutral from the start. Color neutral means that you start on any Color. I made the mistake of not being color neutral from the start and instead had to switch when I was sub 15, which is much much harder.

Don’t be afraid to turn slow while you are a beginner. What this does is allow you to look for pieces while solving others. The time that you would lose by turning slow is made up in the way that you pause less.

Intermediate: 39:-:20

At around a 45 second average, you will want to learn a proper speed-cubing method. There are four main speed-cubing methods. Roux, ZZ, CFOP, Petrus.
I would not recommend Petrus however because of the difficulty to speed-solve it. If you are interested in FMC (fewest move competition) you will want to learn it.
I will now go over the pros and cons of each of these methods.

Roux
Fastest user: Alex Lau

Pros

Can be very fast
Very move efficient
Last layer can be performed incredibly fast
More intuitive
Less algorithms needed

Cons
Hard to improve at first
Hard look ahead
More confusing to learn
Doesn’t translate well from beginner methods
Bad for one handed and big cubes

ZZ
Fastest user: Phil Yu?

Pros

After the first step is performed, the rest of the cube can be solved with R, U, L moves only.
Edges are oriented in OLL.
Less algorithms needed for oll.
Very good for one handed solving.

Cons
Bad for big cubes.
Hasn’t been proven as fast as cfop or roux.
Colour neutral is extremely hard.
Eoline is confusing.

CFOP
Fastest user: Feliks Zemdegs

Pros

Very fast
Easy lookahead
Good for big cubes and one handed
Easy to spam turns per second
Easiest for Color neutral

Cons
Inefficient
Lots of algorithms

Tips:
continue to turn slow, but gradually increase speed while pausing less.
Do slow, untimed solves to find efficient ways to solve pieces.
Start to lookahead. While solving pieces look at other pieces and know how to solve them before you finish solving the last pair. This is much easier if you turn slow.
If using cfop or ZZ, Learn full pll at around 30-25 seconds.

Advanced 19-11

Note: I am currently sub 13.5. I have a good friend who averages around 11 so he will be writing on behalf for parts nessecary.

If you use CFOP, you should learn full oll at around 17
If you use roux, you should know full CMLL
Tips: Spam tps from this point on, and let your lookahead develop. This is the easiest way in my opinion to get fast.

Expert: I will try to get klejeune to write for this part

1 Like

Cool, im averaging about 24 seconds. I have an aolong right now

Good choice. It’s really one of my favorite cubes.

You should include a list of algorithms that every speed cuber should know.

good idea. I’ll try to add that in tonight.
Links? Or actual algs?

Both maybe. Whichever is easier.

Ok

Added a link. Would anyone like to have a link to example solves? Or should I make some?

On that link for algorithms in the beginning, do you know all of those in every section or do you only use a certain few sections

I personally know all of f2l, oll, pll, coll, winter variation, all the cll sets, and half the eg 1 sets, as well as a bunch of random zbll cases.

Is wrist turning on R and L bad?

I don’t think so if I understand correctly.

Ok I’m just gonna put all of my questions here and edit each time

1. Is it normal that CFOP takes longer than Beginner for me?

2. Would you recommend 2 Look PLL

Yes. Just keep working at it. Cfop will be much faster eventually.

Bump added new question

Yes