The best bearing for the shutter

Gentry you are my inspiration of yoyoing and I want to ask you a question, what is the best bearing for the shutter???

Anything curved. No grooves.

does anyone use grooved bearings for competition? I would imagine it would be hard

I have a grooved bearing in my shutter…

“Hard”?

Man… people REALLY overestimate the importance of these things.

If I give you a yoyo with a grooved, curved, or grooved and curved bearing and you don’t sneak a peek into the gap, I promise you that you will not know what bearing I put in there. All these differences people imagine are just that… the product of imagination. The only thing that a grooved and/or curved bearing will do is center the string on the initial throw. As soon as you start adding layers, the “loop” of the string pops out of the groove or is pushed out of the center of the curve. It doesn’t stick there, defying all laws of physics, and halve your available bearing. There is SOME friction in the middle of string-on-string compared to flat… but strings actually slide very easily along one-another. Much more easily than they slide against a response pad, for example…

3 Likes

I got a draupnir from Lseda and it had a grooved bearing and it plays better than all of my other bearings

Nice work on the shutters,So fancy! current favorite throw. Just purchased a Full ceramic angled bearing from Yoyoplay excited to see how it will work on my silver shutter. 1 month ago I hadn’t picked up a Yoyo since my child hood I’m now 24 and it’s so much more amazing. I’m now on advanced page 2 on yoyoexpert. Your 2014 championship video re-inspired me to pick up a Yoyo and accomplish the master trick page! No better way then with a shutter from the champ him self!

What is a grovved or curved bearing

A curved bearing is one with curves in it to keep the string straightened on the yoyo. This can help with stability, and spin time, but i find it to be pretty much placebo.

Curved bearing

As soon as I pick up yoyo with a flat bearing and play, I notice the more rapid precession. If that’s the ONLY reason to prefer a profiled bearing, that’s good enough for me. :wink:

Hi gentry I just wanted to say how cool you are and maybe some day I could be like you

Hi