Getting Started in Kendama...Took The Plunge

Wow, my first time posting in the kendama section. I had a hard time figuring out whether to bump an age old thread or start a new one. :smiley: After I chose an old one, a warning popped up stating that I might want to start anew.

My first impression of kendama was playing one that belonged to someone at a club meet. I gave it a try, and I liked it, because it felt like a nice little escape. That was months ago, and I finally bought some variety recently. I think Iā€™m done buying them for a long time though, because I donā€™t anticipate it will catch on like yo-yo. It is pretty fun though.

So far, I have the big cup, small cup, base cup thing down and working on the spike. You know how I amā€¦had to find some variety to keep things interesting. I decided to start with a stained Sweets. I like natural wood, but the stain added a little extra to the look. I also got these cute YYE colored minis to match the yo-yos, and found these weird metal ones onlineā€¦pretty heavy. That should hold me awhile.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2881/11231901594_92d851e1d6_z.jpg
BlackFriday2 by The TotalArtist, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7426/11479801134_a5a86216d5_z.jpg
IMG_9016 by The TotalArtist, on Flickr

Are those the aluminum ones machined by Landon Balk? They look so cool. Still hoping for a splash anoā€™d one. That would be amazing.

Wellā€¦I have not confirmed it, but suspected it.Ā  I got them on the ā€œauction siteā€ and asked ā€œthe sellerā€ who made them, because the maker/brand was not listed.Ā  The seller replied stating that they were made by a machinist who makes yo-yos in the United States.Ā  :-\Ā  So, they were kind of secret squirrel about it.

So, I got them fairly cheap for what they were described and figured they must be some prototypes or something wrong with themā€¦so I was dying to see.Ā  When I got them, I could tell both had been playedā€¦one very very little, and the other a tad bit more.Ā  So, someone at least tested them out.

Next thing I know, Iā€™m on Youtube and looking up metals and stumble on the Landon Balk video of him machining kendamas.Ā  So, then Iā€™m thinkingā€¦machinist, makes yo-yosā€¦USA.Ā  So, it might be him, because they look the same, but I just canā€™t prove it.Ā  Iā€™d hate to post that it is someoneā€™s work and it is really notā€¦so Iā€™ll just say, maybe.Ā  :-\Ā  I thought to message him and ask, but figured if the maker wanted it knownā€¦it would be known by now.Ā  I think they might be part of a test run.

@TotalArtist, welcome to kendamas!
Remembering a quote from Guy Wright, kendamas are pretty intense and suspenseful. And hugely rewarding (e.g. ā€œDid I just spike/land that?ā€). You somehow donā€™t quite get the same amount of thrill in yoyos.

There arenā€™t many folks who make full-sized aluminium kendamas around. Landon Balk is probably one, and I know KendAlex makes some as well.

Thank you. Yeah, the metal is taking a lot of damage especially being so heavy. Iā€™m on the list for the next KendAlex run. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m starting myself! I canā€™t wait Iā€™m working on around the world but I donā€™t have a official kendama yet only a traditional so hopefully Iā€™ll get a official kendama for christmas!

-Dylan

All ya gotta do is ask Santa nicely :wink:
All the best in your endavours, and welcome to kendama!