Current top 5

I only have 4 yoyos😂

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with that! I wish I could go minimalist with my collection but I enjoy trying tons of yoyos too much :wink:

I don’t have a huge collection, but for now:

Masamune
Markmont Next (tried one, don’t own one yet!)
Musashi
Masamini
Basecamp Navigator

Tied for 1: edge+ pulsefire
3. Jackknife
4. Sfss
5. Al dream

Current Top-5

AMS Tundra
Sputnik
Avalanche
Grail
Peak/Peak2 (Ti-Peak Coming in the mail, so. . . .) Lets just say “Peak” and when someone says which one, Ill just say “yes”

Kind of an old thread but:

1. Phenom
  2. Tundra
  3. Sasquatch
  4. Wedge
  5. Shu-ta
  1. Punchline
  2. Whole milk
  3. 420
  4. #pound
  5. Code1

Still throwing older yoyo’s because I havent bought anything super new in awhile

1. Manatee
  2. Yeti
    3.Yelets
  3. Chief
  4. Big Dipper

1- Tundra (AMS)
2- TiPeak
3- Grail
4- Manatee
5- BvM2

^ The Tundra has really locked down the top spot for you!

No particular order on preference: Rook, Parlay, Wood Boy, Orphan, Deep State

No order:
Curvy donut man
Grind machine 2
Bbb Endeavor
Butcher
OG Avalanche

In order:

Tundra
Sasquatch
Space lobster proto
shu-ta
Bliss

It’s been awhile…

2x CLYW Peak, 3rd run
3x A-RT Grail

I feel super lucky to have and throw these yoyos. So fun to play with.

The limitations are what make them interesting to me and it keeps me from being lazy. Tighter gaps make them bind and regen easily but can be snaggy if you’re not careful. High walls give you feedback on your alignment and technique so it keeps you from getting too sloppy. Round organic shapes, and ideal sizes, that are satisfying in the hand. A density and weight that can be pushed fast or slow (ahem…floaty). After years of throwing different types of yoyos this is just what I like.

Grail is my favorite yoyo of all time, and the best Grail colorway is avocado. I used to have a YYR Attune customized this exact way (half lighter green / half darker green). So it was destiny that I score one of these - as if this Grail was made for me. And even better that I got it used with scuff marks so I can just throw it and not be scared of messing up this beautiful colorway.

And speaking of scuffs… the 3rd run purple acid wash Peak was purchased by me directly from Gentry Stein on the BST years ago. He had already dinged it up a good bit, worse than the marks I’ve added on it since. But again, nice that it was pre-dinged so then I just throw it and not worry about it. Despite the dings it still plays as good as any 3rd run Peak I’ve tried - they always have a bit of vibe that can be tuned a bit but it’s always gonna be there.

The 3rd run green acid wash Peak was my “grail” yoyo for a long time and I bought another one in the past for too much money because you hardly ever see these for sale. It was so nice, and I paid too much for it, so I was afraid to throw it too much. I needed cash so I sold it, but lost money in the process since I paid too much in the first place and couldn’t recoup it. Anyways, I got lucky when another one of these green 3rd runs was available on the BST and I made it mine. More damage than the first one of these that I had (but no difference in playability or vibe) so it worked out in the end - another 3rd run Peak that I’m not afraid to throw.

3 Likes

Sweet looking Greg!

In no particular order,

Crucible
SK Proto
Pelican
Cadence
Grail

1 Like

In terms of “most universally respected by online yo-yo communities” as far as I’ve seen:

• ART Grail
  • G2 Banshee (or Wolf / Elite, but I think Elite is basically a bimetal banshee?)
  • YYF Hummingbird
  • OneDrop MMC
  • OneDrop Kuntosh / Top Deck
  • 2Sick Castle / Rook

Honorable mention for Shutter Wide Angle as well, to me this yo-yo represents everything that modern yoyo design became from 2013 - 2018 … and easy to get. :wink:

Another answer that I got when I asked a similar question that I thought was insightful:

But I think the Draupnir, Palpitation, Canvas and Irony JP are probably the most important yoyos of the last decade. I think you can trace features and qualities from the most popular yoyos now to at least one of those four.

(I would add the 888 to the above, but not sure it makes the “last decade” cutoff, plus probably the Edge.)

No order.

Art vi IV
Spyy punchline
One drop cabal
Art 420
Small bearing modded bassalope

2 Likes

Cabal is so good. It’s hard to just pick 5…

1 Like

I agree. The 420 is basically tied with a bunch of others, like the Hatrick, code1, 7075 supernova, etc, but the other 4 are definitely the top 4 for me.

1 Like

We gotta post pics! That’s what makes this topic great!

So in order from left to right, top to bottom, here it is:

I am comfortable with these as my Top 5 6

11 Likes