Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread

Special Treat for all you Tom Kuhn Collectors and fixed axle players! We just got in a shipment of new old stock - The Original San Francisco No Jives! (Repackaged in the newer packaging, just incase anyone was curious.)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0748/4967/products/No-Jive-Clear-1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1479240283

Tom uncovered 100 No Jives from “The Old Days” and we are super excited to offer them to the new fixed axle crowd!

3 Likes

Ed - you’re killing me! Crown Jewel!

How bout the one on the right?? I’ve never seen another in the butterfly shape!

1 Like

That’s one of them “B Grade” yoyos, you know when they mess things up at the factory. You really don’t want that stain in your collection, I’ll tell you what I’ll send you some cash so that you can send it to me, I don’t have as nice of a collection so it wont look out of place ;D

Haha!

Man those are killer! How long have you had it? I have seen a few of them over the years, but certainly they have to be rare. I actually think I’ve got an old Kuhn catalog that has them listed, will have to look when I get home.

2 Likes

I actually won it in 1988 or 89 in my first contest. I thought they were all that shape until I got on eBay and bought the other one I have. The contest was put on by Daniel Volk when the smothers brothers were big

2 Likes

That’s awesome. My Grandpa got me into yo-yoing, bought me a Smothers Brothers Hummingbird yoyo, and he recorded a bunch of their shows. I’d watch them when I was over at his house and he’d show me tricks. Picked up a Smothers brothers No Jive a couple years ago, never seen the butterfly shape come up for sale though.

1 Like

I only have the Hummingbird. Now that I have seen your pic all I can say is WOW!

1 Like

Gotta say, the butterfly Smo-Bro is a new one for me! Perhaps a competition yo specially for the Bros.? Never seen one before this!

1 Like

Couple of others I have. I have more hummingbirds and have always loved those.

1 Like

I remember as a Kid seeing the SB2 come out and looking at the different colors for hours trying to choose which one id get when I had saved up enough. I never did pick one up. :c

1 Like

Hi

AaronW wanted me to post pictures of my TK yos . I am really sorry the pictures are disorganized and don’t do justice . The ones in hard to see in clear plastic , are Celtic Mandalas .

Thanks for the interest
Scot

1 Like

Awesome collection!

Nice scotrans.

Like I was saying, do not let anyone sweet talk you out of any of those without knowing value. That is a collection many of us here would drool over.

1 Like

Hi -

Thanks for your responses.

I am slowing working my way through the Tom Kuhn and Tom Kuhn-BC yoyos.

I am using eBay completed sales and Hall’s Yoyo Museum site  (http://www.yoyomuseum.com/museum_view.php) for the more rare yoyos.

Are the values, when listed at the Yoyo Museum close to accurate?  I have found Museum’s description of design & production history in the YoYo Museum’s fascinating.

For a couple potential grins, I have posted a picture of what i believe to be a 2nd (or defective) Mandala.

Best
Scot

1 Like

I wouldn’t go off the prices there. Some are really high, some are really low.  The one you have below is the Snowflake Mandala, the museum has it with a value of $30.  I personally feel that is REALLY low for that yoyo.

1 Like

Finally after dreaming of one for nearly 10 years a 15 yo-yo Heirloom box set is mine.
The icing on the cake is that it contains one of my top 5 most wanted Kuhn’s a 3 in 1 wonder Flying camel. A very happy day indeed.

6 Likes

Outstanding!

1 Like

Congrats ! That looks incredible …

Many thanks. I guess it’s true everything does come to those who wait.
Keep the faith these things are still out there… Happy hunting.

1 Like

That is absolutely amazing!

1 Like