Quinton fox brand yoyo string (photo)pg 2

how stiff is it?( being fast and coated with something)

it whips fast because the initial threads i use are very small so its a dense string, i dont overtighten it, its starts out a lil bit rough/stiff but that goes away with play, the coating doesnt stiffen this particular polyester type

I researched the hell out of this process myself a few years ago.
This post made me refresh that knowledge before commenting.

• To get a dye “into” a polyester string requires special ‘fixatif’ dyes, which are quite toxic.
  • You need to use extremely high heat for long periods of time.
  • You need safety gear (mask, gloves, apron), very good MOVING ventilation and a splash-free work zone.

This CANNOT be done on the kitchen stove using your Moms favourite Jamie Oliver sauce pan.

In fact, I’d personally recommend against this idea AT ALL!
I would hate to see anyone get hurt.

A cool end-result simply does NOT justify the personal health/danger risk.

/paul

The type of dye i found is non toxic and requires no heat setting

I mean no disrespect to you and your extensive knowledge about all things string related but. maybe
they came up with a new dye in the past 3 or so years?

1 Like

Definitely possible.

On the other hand, maybe the non-toxic alternatives aren’t colorfast?

Only one thing to do… prototype! Send out some to some testers and you’ll find out pretty quickly if the coloring process has a detrimental effect.

i will be about two week later when i get my dye and then we will know for sure

This dye may be the kind that does not successfully color polyester, might just bleed off.

even if the dye doesnt work out for me, the strings will still play great

These bright white pure nylon strings whip slightly slower than the poly, are luxuriously silky, antistiff and stretchier for those who enjoys a more relaxed throwing sesh

No disrespect to you, but I would absolutely positutely trust anything Paul says. He’s the biggest home string maker around, bigger than all of us can do. Somebody who lives on innovation, so if you can think of it, I’m sure he already has. Just sayin’

i trust pauls advice, but that doesnt mean i should give up

As I said, I looked into this years ago and then refreshed this research today upon seeing this thread.

My concerns stand as previously stated.

Disperse dyes are dangerous in personal applications.
If you insist on moving forward please be careful. VERY careful.
Have proper safety gear and don’t rush your results!

/paul
/yoyoGstring
/GrandfatherofGstring

2 Likes

heres a review http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,55543.msg566470.html#msg566470

im testing the color fastness of the dye this week
if anybody would like to test and review my strings pm me

Does the dye come off on your fingers? I don’t want my fingers to be pink and yellow after throwing.

You don’t have the rights to use my name on your yoyo string. I demand you remove “Quinton” at once.

the dye did not work properly,and it wont be in the product.

Haha. Whatever Q says goes man

just some string, the circle is poly the rest is nylon

Why don’t you just use colored threads…