Amateur Yo-Yo Photography

You’re totally right, definitely worth experimenting with moving the lights around to get different shadowing, or highlight certain areas of the yo-yo. It takes a lot of patience doing this, but it’s cool to do. I have a few more yo-yos to do, but updated the slide show with about 40-50 more, mostly plastics and bi-metals. That light box comes with a cover on the front, that has a hole, and you can stick the lens of the camera in the hole…supposed to prevent reflection from the front of the box. I did not use it, but I’ll test out using it with the plastics, to prevent images showing in the mirror caps.

You raise a good point, the lighting is so much better in the second photo, but for the wood, the shadow actually adds something interesting to bring out the wood grains. I just think the shadowing is in the wrong place. Your idea of moving the lights around will help get the best photo, especially of that particular yo-yo.

Taking the photos was great, but unwinding all those strings and rewinding them to put each yo-yo back was really tedious. I’m almost caught up now, where I’ll just have to photo any new ones that come along. I maybe have ten more to do today, then I’ll be done with this project. I’m definitely going to stick some other stuff in that box, and play around with taking pictures though. Maybe put some leather holders in there and see how they come out.

I just read the comment from mgiroux77. I think you’re right, the YYE Editions should be done over again, until they are perfect. I am on vacation now, perfect time to get the job done. :wink: Now, I have a problem. I’m having so much fun, that I want a super big light box, so I can stick my whole yo-yo case in there and take a picture of the whole case nice and clear. That has to be how Stickman is getting those great shots :smiley: Well, maybe someday. I’ll expand, but I’m having fun with the small box for now.

2 Likes