Amateur Yo-Yo Photography

Those look great Logi, thanks for sharing those!  Wow Banjospins, Jason Wong and Abby, thanks for all the kind words.  I have to thank my Bestie mgiroux77 for being patient with looking at all my photo mess ups and giving me his opinion in the PMs.  He is the one who suggested that I start a thread for the photos, share with all of you, and get your help too. I say that, even though he likes looking at naked throws with no engraving and no string.  Special thanks to him…always.  Thanks to everyone posting in the thread (lopazopy too), as I am now happy with getting some great yo-yo photos, on a budget.  :wink:

I often sell on Ebay, the BST, post photos in the forum, on Facebook and so on, so I think the small amount invested in this setup was well worth it.  I’d like to thank jasonwongzero and Stickman for being the inspiration for the photography.  All the beautiful photos they have posted encouraged me to step up my presentation, and create a better catalog of my collection too.  I have to admit that I keep a case of about 12 mains, and I took their photo too, but they were played, and I just showed their best side in the photos.  The yo-yos get a bit more love than it seems.  :wink:

Also, to Jason, I bought a Square Perfect brand light tent too, so the brand is definitely worthy of recognition.  I recommend that anyone looking for a setup take advantage of his deal, if they buy all that, the box, lights and stand for only $35 shipped, he is practically giving it away.  That is a steal.  If you guys have not jumped on it…I probably will.

Thanks again all you guys, and I’ll be experimenting with other items in the box, and I’ll let you know how it turns out.  I’m having so much fun, that when I have a little extra money, I’ll buy a camera with the custom white balance, and new version of Photoshop software, but for now, you guys have helped me get great results with what I have.

Thanks again…and if anyone has some great photos to share with a similar setup, continue to post, I’d love to see them.

For a look at Jason’s photos (linked in his signature):

Quick question for Jason:

How do you photograph the yo-yo spinning in the box?  The top of the box is not open, so how do you get to drop a spinning yo-yo down into the top of the box?  Maybe I’m not thinking outside the box here…no pun intended.  :smiley:

1 Like