Customer Service      FAQ      Email Sign Up      My Account      View Cart     
YoYoExpert Forums
October 24, 2017, 06:45:04 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Forums!  Try out our new and improved chat room!

Home   Chat Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 44   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Yo-Yo Photography  (Read 127723 times)
TotalArtist
Manufacturer
Trade Count: (108)

United States United States

Fav. Yo-Yo: YoyoFactory (various), and Dark Magic II
Fav. Trick: Boing-E-Boing

Thank You
-Given: 1247
-Receive: 1253

"Throw rich 'til I die!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »

Awesome! Definitely an improvement already, though the originals were interesting and well done, too. If you have the ability (I can't tell from the setup) to have one of the sides a little bit dimmer (move the light source away from the box a bit?) it will add some dimension as well.

Using the EH sample pics above, you would dim the left hand source a bit. The right source will illuminate the front of the yoyo, and the left source will contribute while at the same time leaving a bit of shadow in the gap.

Never know if it'll work until you try it, though! The theory is sound, but then there's the practice. Gotta pick which one looks better, not which one has better theory!

You're totally right, definitely worth experimenting with moving the lights around to get different shadowing, or highlight certain areas of the yo-yo.  It takes a lot of patience doing this, but it's cool to do.  I have a few more yo-yos to do, but updated the slide show with about 40-50 more, mostly plastics and bi-metals.  That light box comes with a cover on the front, that has Jerk, and you can stick the lens of the camera in the hole...supposed to prevent reflection from the front of the box.  I did not use it, but I'll test out using it with the plastics, to prevent images showing in the mirror caps.  

You raise a good point, the lighting is so much better in the second photo, but for the wood, the shadow actually adds something interesting to bring out the wood grains.  I just think the shadowing is in the wrong place.  Your idea of moving the lights around will help get the best photo, especially of that particular yo-yo.  

Taking the  photos was great, but unwinding all those strings and rewinding them to put each yo-yo back was really tedious.  I'm almost caught up now, where I'll just have to photo any new ones that come along.  I maybe have ten more to do today, then I'll be done with this project.  I'm definitely going to stick some other stuff in that box, and play around with taking pictures though.  Maybe put some leather holders in there and see how they come out.

I just read the comment from mgiroux77.  I think you're right, the YYE Editions should be done over again, until they are perfect.  I am on vacation now, perfect time to get the job done.   Wink  Now, I have a problem.  I'm having so much fun, that I want a super big light box, so I can stick my whole yo-yo case in there and take a picture of the whole case nice and clear.  That has to be how Stickman is getting those great shots  Cheesy  Well, maybe someday.  I'll expand, but I'm having fun with the small box for now.  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:56:29 PM by Totalartist » Logged

lopazopy
Trade Count: (3)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Barebones

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 05:02:27 PM »

Looking good! I'm really digging the black background. I'm glad you found something that works for you and are having fun with your photo project. Keep up the good work.
TotalArtist
Manufacturer

Thank You

"Throw rich 'til I die!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 05:32:19 PM »

Looking good! I'm really digging the black background. I'm glad you found something that works for you and are having fun with your photo project. Keep up the good work.

Thanks so much for your help, all of you guys have been great with feedback.  I'll occasionally post to let you know how it's coming along.  Since the black background has gotten a few thumbs up, I'm going to experiment more with it.  Wink

Pajama Man 8398
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 09:21:14 PM »

...all your yo-yos have knots in them.
abby1371
Trade Count: (1)

Fav. Yo-Yo: SPYY Orbitron and Amplifier
Fav. Trick: i don't know i like em all!

Thank You
-Given: 205
-Receive: 351

sup?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 09:30:20 PM »

Or so you think...

hedgehog!
Logi
Manufacturer
Trade Count: (73)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Finch
Fav. Trick: I am allergic to bananas

Thank You
-Given: 434
-Receive: 329

Epic strings

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 10:22:36 PM »

Thanks to this thread, I made my own light box!

mgiroux77
Forum eXpert
Trade Count: (72)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Citizen
Fav. Trick: cold fusion, skin the gerbal

Thank You
-Given: 451
-Receive: 321

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 11:01:02 PM »

...all your yo-yos have knots in them.

She double wraps them......  It is her signature....

jhb8426
Administrator
Trade Count: (6)

Fav. Yo-Yo: YoyoMa
Fav. Trick: Telling her she's the only one

Thank You
-Given: 2863
-Receive: 2073

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 11:53:16 PM »

Thanks to this thread, I made my own light box!

How'd ya get the bird to sit there long enough to take a pic?

”Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life
is paved with flat squirrels who couldn’t make a decision!"
TotalArtist
Manufacturer

Thank You

"Throw rich 'til I die!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 04:17:01 AM »

I was laughing about the knots.  Yeah, I figured I'd leave the strings on, especially in that way so people can tell my photos apart from others.  I don't want them to look like "stock" photos with the white background.  

Oh snap Logi, that light box is nice and big too.  That guy in the youtube video, when he made the light box, he cut all those strips of posterboard and glued them inside so the inside of the box is totally white.  I think a better idea is to take some white duct tape (comes in all colors these day) and go around the edges on the inside (quicker).  It will give you even more of a white background.  

Also, I'm wondering if you tweaked it with the auto adjust in the Windows software on your computer, cause it gives the photo a little extra pop.  I just open the photo in the Windows software and click the auto adjust button and it makes the colors pop a bit more.  I was shocked to see you had a birdie sitting in there.  That is so cool.  He looks like he posed for the photo too.  He's a bird model.  Great job, I'm glad someone else had fun with this.   Grin  Also, I'm going to follow up with the type of bulbs that worked best for me.  I will post that soon.  I found the right bulbs by watching even more Youtube videos.   Cheesy

Tell us your setup Logi, what kind of camra, and if you used standard bulbs, florescent or so on.  I hope you don't mind, I put the birdie pic in the software to see how it would come out with clicking the auto adjust button...got this:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:46:07 AM by Totalartist » Logged

TotalArtist
Manufacturer

Thank You

"Throw rich 'til I die!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 04:37:24 AM »

I took some screen shots of how I'm tweaking the photos.  I don't play with contrast and cropping and all that, I just use that one auto adjust button.  In the first screen shot is what I see when I double click photos to view them on my computer, standard Windows software pops up.  Then, the second shot is zoomed in what's on the top menu. I hit the "fix" button at the top. Then, a side menu bar opens up and I hit the "auto adjust" on the right...then, done.  It tends to clean up any issues with the background and make it "pop" a bit more.  That is for those who don't have Photoshop or any other software on their computers.  You can use what you have already that comes with your computer.  I love Photoshop, but have an old version that was loaded on an older computer, and I never put it on my current laptop.  

Logi
Manufacturer
Trade Count: (73)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Finch
Fav. Trick: I am allergic to bananas

Thank You
-Given: 434
-Receive: 329

Epic strings

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »

I was laughing about the knots.  Yeah, I figured I'd leave the strings on, especially in that way so people can tell my photos apart from others.  I don't want them to look like "stock" photos with the white background. 

Oh snap Logi, that light box is nice and big too.  That guy in the youtube video, when he made the light box, he cut all those strips of posterboard and glued them inside so the inside of the box is totally white.  I think a better idea is to take some white duct tape (comes in all colors these day) and go around the edges on the inside (quicker).  It will give you even more of a white background. 

Also, I'm wondering if you tweaked it with the auto adjust in the Windows software on your computer, cause it gives the photo a little extra pop.  I just open the photo in the Windows software and click the auto adjust button and it makes the colors pop a bit more.  I was shocked to see you had a birdie sitting in there.  That is so cool.  He looks like he posed for the photo too.  He's a bird model.  Great job, I'm glad someone else had fun with this.   Grin  Also, I'm going to follow up with the type of bulbs that worked best for me.  I will post that soon.  I found the right bulbs by watching even more Youtube videos.   Cheesy

Tell us your setup Logi, what kind of camra, and if you used standard bulbs, florescent or so on.  I hope you don't mind, I put the birdie pic in the software to see how it would come out with clicking the auto adjust button...got this:

I used a nikon d70, three random desk lamps, and I guess the bird enjoyed being in a nice warm box. I used this Lightbox tut http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/26/how-to-make-a-light-box/
Also edited them.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:23:25 PM by Logi » Logged

BanjoSpins
Trade Count: (0)

Fav. Yo-Yo: If I choose a favorite the others get jealous and whiny
Fav. Trick: If only I could do one trick with style

Thank You
-Given: 229
-Receive: 333

It's not the throw - it's the thrower

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »

Totalartist, you are such an inspiration to the rest of the forum members. Outstanding work on your yo-yo photography. I mean that sincerely, you have done such a wonderful job capturing your collection of return tops. And what an enviable collection it is! Your cache contains so many beautiful yo-yos I have never seen before and wish I had as I may have endeavored to pick up a few of those myself.

I confess I did not finish reading your entire post before I clicked on the link to view your pix. I was thinking as it was playing what a great choice you had made in including your double looped black string in the shots. It's like your own esoteric signature on each photo. You know right away, "Oh, these are part of Sara's collection." Keeping the string on gets my vote.

Thanks so much TA, you make the forums such a fun place to come and peruse about.  Wink

…that's some bad hat Harry
abby1371
Trade Count: (1)

Fav. Yo-Yo: SPYY Orbitron and Amplifier
Fav. Trick: i don't know i like em all!

Thank You
-Given: 205
-Receive: 351

sup?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 04:18:55 PM »

Yah I'm surprised you not a forum expert you seem to give lots of good advice.

hedgehog!
jasonwongzero
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (84)

Thank You
-Given: 72
-Receive: 209

Not doing custom anodizing requests, sorry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 04:43:33 PM »

Awesome thread, thanks for sharing!  I have been meaning to also start a thread with some yoyo photography tips.  Using a light box with a good background is one of the keys to great photos.

Here's the setup I used to use.  Square Perfect SP200 lightbox with included lighting and stand (FYI, I'm selling this setup for $35 shipped, check my BST):

I've since upgraded to a solid one piece box with flourescent lighting.

TotalArtist
Manufacturer

Thank You

"Throw rich 'til I die!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 07:57:58 AM »

Those look great Logi, thanks for sharing those!  Wow Banjospins, Jason Wong and Abby, thanks for all the kind words.  I have to thank my Bestie mgiroux77 for being patient with looking at all my photo mess ups and giving me his opinion in the PMs.  He is the one who suggested that I start a thread for the photos, share with all of you, and get your help too. I say that, even though he likes looking at naked throws with no engraving and no string.  Special thanks to him...always.   Thanks to everyone posting in the thread (lopazopy too), as I am now happy with getting some great yo-yo photos, on a budget.  Wink 

I often sell on Ebay, the BST, post photos in the forum, on Facebook and so on, so I think the small amount invested in this setup was well worth it.  I'd like to thank jasonwongzero and Stickman for being the inspiration for the photography.  All the beautiful photos they have posted encouraged me to step up my presentation, and create a better catalog of my collection too.  I have to admit that I keep a case of about 12 mains, and I took their photo too, but they were played, and I just showed their best side in the photos.  The yo-yos get a bit more love than it seems.  Wink

Also, to Jason, I bought a Square Perfect brand light tent too, so the brand is definitely worthy of recognition.  I recommend that anyone looking for a setup take advantage of his deal, if they buy all that, the box, lights and stand for only $35 shipped, he is practically giving it away.  That is a steal.  If you guys have not jumped on it...I probably will. 

Thanks again all you guys, and I'll be experimenting with other items in the box, and I'll let you know how it turns out.  I'm having so much fun, that when I have a little extra money, I'll buy a camera with the custom white balance, and new version of Photoshop software, but for now, you guys have helped me get great results with what I have. 

Thanks again...and if anyone has some great photos to share with a similar setup, continue to post, I'd love to see them. 

For a look at Jason's photos (linked in his signature):

http://www.loadedyoyos.com/

Quick question for Jason:

How do you photograph the yo-yo spinning in the box?  The top of the box is not open, so how do you get to drop a spinning yo-yo down into the top of the box?  Maybe I'm not thinking outside the box here...no pun intended.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:14:41 AM by Totalartist » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 44   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: