Loaded YoYos: Cigar box yoyo cases!

My problem with cases is I can never find foam to make them right :confused:

Exactly! Anybody has a source for Canada, I’m all ears. :wink:

I’m serious about trying this same concept out, what kind of foam did you use?

Perforated foam. Google it you can find it online for like $7. But the only problem is shipping probably kills you. I can’t find any place locally that sells foam used for cases.

Yeah, I managed to find some foam locally at my hobby store, but it’s expensive. It’s cheaper online, but the problem is you need to buy a bunch of it for it to be economical.

Shipping cost is the biggest challenge with these boxes. You need to pay for shipping the supplies to you, then you need to build it, then you need to pay for shipping the box to the customer.

I think I’ll be able to make the boxes for between $35 and $55 shipped depending on size and box type.

How many throws would a smaller one hold?

Smallest ones would hold four yoyos, largest is probably the one I pictured. I tried to buy boxes that would hold at least four.

Jason

Just curious where you got your foam from?

As I mentioned earlier, I found the foam at my local hobby store. I’m going to experiment with some foam from online suppliers but I don’t have a good source for the perforated stuff.

Sporting goods stores (firearm stores) also have frequently have that type of foam as hunters/etc…often use it for firearm cases.

Camera stores may possibly supply perforated foam as well.

More boxes!

Now I need to find foam and/or make the wooden dividers.

Dividers, try Lowes or Home Depot! A frame for a door or for around the rooms floor may work well. I’m sure you can find thin sturdy wood strips at one of those stores. And a can of stainer, that’ll do! Did you find the cigar boxes at thrift shops?

I have good wood for dividers, it’s more I need to find a way to efficiently cut them square and neat and then set them perfectly in the boxes. Easy enough to plan out, much more difficult to execute. Might need to pick up a router or something like that.

Don’t want to stain them because I want to preserve the cool paper labels and tax stamps.

I don’t know about you guys but I would love to buy one of those cases if I had the cash! ;D

I want one…

I want the one with the lion logo. I’d buy it from you hands down, just shoot me a PM and I’ll send you payment heck if you have a price I’d sent payment in advance. I was trying to find that cigar box brand and I had no luck. My uncle and my dad’s cigar boxes are either chipped or too fancy with a thermometer in it and varnished.

I’ve been looking around the house for something to use as a DIY case and your post reminded me that I had a cigar box around here somewhere. I already had the foam too, so I just needed to get the infamous tomato paste can to cut my holes. Here are my results. Thanks for the idea!

I now call these yoyos my Montague collection.

Looks awesome!  I am really enjoying the classy/cool look of the wooden boxes.  Such a different feeling than having them in a plastic bag, no?

Anyways, for those interested, I still have one more box available for sale!

VERY nice looking! :slight_smile: