First "How to mod" video!!

Hey guys!  Few weeks back I polled to see if anyone’d be interested in seeing how I mod stuff, & got an overwhelming amount of YES from the public haha.

Here’s the first one, I did a silicone/sticker recess on a Duncan FHZ.  The model is actually the newer, pre-recessed one, so I just took that existing recess deeper.

Look out for some more to come!!

1 Like

Subscribing this…

Glad you like it!!

Let me know what else you’d like to see done! I’m always up for suggestions :slight_smile:

Do a video of annodization. ive always wanted to see what the process looks like and there are like no vidros online of it. it a modification of sorts.

Especially splashes, I’m really curious about that!

I don’t think he does anno.

First off, to the best of my knowledge Landon does not do any anodizing in house.

Yes there are. A simple youtube search yields plenty of results.

The yo-yo is anodized, which creates a porous surface that can be dyed. Then, the yo-yo is dyed one color (the splash color), masked with rubber cement (or a similar material), the dye is washed off, and then the yo-yo is dyed another color.

I want to see satining or beadblasting.

So after anodizing, the yoyo actually hasn’t dyed yet?
And splashes actually comes from the isolation material (rubber cement, etc) instead?

So you had to know I was going to comment :slight_smile:

One of the issues with the video is simply your setup… not your fault of course, but 99% of the kids here aren’t going to have a lathe as capable as yours. It would be helpful if you explain the lathe a bit so people know exactly what is being done… useful if you’re trying to translate this to a different lathe setup.

Only one safety concern… the grinder… it’s dumb to hold a small piece of metal to a grinder at an awkward angle with no rest under it. We all do it of course, but you should mention that it’s totally a bad idea anyway. Also remind people that those bits get hot -really- fast on a grinder… keep a cup of water around to cool it off.

Next time don’t cheat and use a pre-recessed yoyo… do the ID/OD measurements as well :slight_smile:

Kyle

Anodizing is NOT a topic suitable to be covered on a yoyo board… it’s an inherently dangerous process using electricity and strong acid… there is now way in … that I’m going to have kids thinking this is easy/safe or a good idea to do at home.

I will give a brief overview of what happens though.

1. The metal is stripped of all oil, dirt, grease, fingerprints, everything. Usually a strong ‘degreasing’ compound is used.

2. The part is immediately put into an an acid bath and electrified. This causes the surface of the aluminum to build an oxide layer. That layer forms tiny microscopic little tubes. At this point the part still looks silver/gray. You are basically making aluminum into a porous surface that can hold dye.

3. The part goes into a dye bath… this is where the color comes from. The dye isn’t all that dissimilar from RIT dye you’d find at the grocery story, just stronger.

If you are doing a splash, you would do it just like any other splash dye job… you dye a color, mask off an area, dye a darker color, mask off, dye another color, etc.

If you are doing a fade you dye part of the yoyo by only partially submerging it, then you slowly remove it to create a transition area, then do another color the opposite. The longer the part stays in the dye, the darker the color will get, so by removing it slowly you create a fade out effect.

1. The part is sealed to trap the color in the oxide layer.

2. You sell the part for some overly inflated price.

Kyle

2 Likes

Truest statement of the whole process