my yyj legacy 2 ball bearing is responsive what do i do?

alright here are two pictures one the size of the bearing and another how i put the string on the yoyo hope this is useful

Looks like the string is on properly and it appears to be the wide bearing.

Is there anything in the bearing seat?

Otherwise, my thoughts are to clean the bearing and run it dry for a bit and see if that makes a difference? Then maybe consider a very light lube.

Yep, looks fine, clean the bearing like Studio42 said.

^^^^^ I gotta agree with these two.

There’s nothing in between the bearing other than the axle so I am stumped too oh but one more thing I don’t own any lube is there any good substitute for it or should I use my own formula for it to be very light or thin On it?

Try cleaning it using one of these methods:

Just run the bearing dry after you clean it. Last thing you want to do is lube a bearing that’s slowed down. Lube may help but it’s a short term fix. Just clean out the bearing and then run it dry for the time being.

After reviewing the thread my guess is that the bearing was pre-lubed which is why it’s responsive. Either clean the bearing or play it until the lube breaks down.

Oh thank you for telling me that makes much more sense

Well, if the bearing spins for 3-7 second with a flick of a finger, I don’t think it’s lubed that much. It could be though, since I can get 10-20 seconds (depending on the bearing) with a flick.

Well whatever it is at the OP cleaning with mineral spirits, acetone, etc should fix the problem.

Does that require adult supervision?

Yes. I watch myself when I’m cleaning bearings.

I would say have an adult readily available. The chemicals suggested are all solvents and/or flammable. It’s fairly easy to clean stuff out. The main thing you want to ensure you do is take reasonable safety precautions in case of spillage and keep the stuff off your skin and definitely out of your eyes. Also, use in a well ventilated area.

Be smart, be safe.

Oh one thing is there any non chemical way so I don’t hurt myself? To clean the bearing?

Not really. There’s going to be a chemical process if you expect to remove the lubricants.

You can try Dawn dishwashing detergent and your choice of hot or cold water, which will work. You then have to ensure you completely dry things out and will then need to add lubricants back in for maintenance purposes. But, mineral spirits, acetone or lighter fluid will work a lot better. I’m recommending Dawn because it works very well for removing most oils. I’ve not had good results with other brands. Worse case scenario is you don’t end up any worse than when you started.

Even dish washing soap is chemical.

There’s a current trend of “we have problems but we refuse to do things the proper way”. There’s gonna be a lot of unhappy people who are going to have ongoing problems as a result.

Abby

I’m going to ask you a couple different questions and then a little recommendation.

1.) Is your Legacy 2 the only non-responsive yoyo you own so far or do you have others. I’m just trying to get a feel of your familiarity with non-responsive play.

2.) You are right to be very cautious when attempting to clean a bearing. Solvents can be dangerous and you have to be very careful. Studio42’s recommendation of Dawn dishwashing liquid is a good one, but it will have to be Dawn, other brands won’t work. If not, what solvent do you have available to use around your house?

Do you have an unused prescription bottle or something about that size with a cap you can use. We don’t want you using very much solvent at all. Just a little tiny bit will do. Putting your bearing in the bottom of an empty pill bottle and then pouring in just enough to cover the bearing is all you want to do. Oh, and don’t do this over your sink. The first place bearings like to run away to is down the drain in the sink.

To be honest with you Abby, I think you’re a little young to try and clean a bearing on your own. To properly clean the bearing you probably should de-shield it first and I don’t want you to try to do that on your own. Let’s error on the side of caution. If you are uncomfortable doing this, don’t.
If in doubt, count it out.

I know it’s frustrating because you came here for help and even with all the excellent advice you have received it’s still not un-responsive for you. Please understand you’re not alone in having trouble with getting an intermediate yo-yo like your Legacy II to be completely non-responsive all the time. I can still get my knuckles cracked when my Duncan Drifter jumps back at me when I’m not ready.

I am going to recommend that if it is at all possible you get an adult to help you with something as tricky a cleaning your bearing.

Please be careful Abby, we don’t want to lose you. I have a whole bag of marshmallows we haven’t roasted yet.

1 Like

are you a forum eXpert yet or what?

JUST got my legacy 2 this thing on both bearings is not responsive

So what was Necro for?

Do you want it responsive?

Are the O-rings in? Or pads?

If the o-rings are in, put a drop of lube on the slim bearing.

If it is super snappy (i.e. A hard sleeper comes right back), you’ll probably have to clean it.

If you’re having problems with it just coming back after a hard throw and you’re tugging it around, you may just have to play it out.

My YYF One came with a “responsive” bearing which turned out to be simply a lubed up unresponsive one. Needless to say I have killed its responsiveness :stuck_out_tongue:

Besides these two issues, I can only think that they sent the wrong bearing with your yoyo.

Good luck and I hope your problem gets solved! ;D