MB's Powder Thread! Come & see the power of powder!

This guy was $20 shipped

Sweet!!! I will be sure to send you a yoyo to powdercoat! Out of any other finish, powder coats are my favorite!

The powders are pretty slick. Colors and combos are just about limitless as is the type of application. Right now the splashes and spots and so on are a little tricky to do but progressing along nicely. Trying to find “masking” material that is suitable for 400 degrees has been the trick. They make high temp tapes but doing graphics and things like that can be tricky. Trial and error has yielded some acceptable results as far as I’m concerned.

The durability of the powder is where it really shines. It’s seriously tough and scratches can be basically buffed out. Trying to get it off by sanding or blasting is tough but the chemical stripper they make to remove it is amazing. Takes it off in minutes with zero effect to the metal! The only drawback is vibe. It is extremely difficult to get 100% vibe free results. Perfect even results on two sides of a spinning work piece is tough. For the average yoyo and average pc job results are exceptional. By the time someone’s yoyo gets around to me for a pc it has usually seen a bit of combat and has some wounds that give it the shakes already. For me I am all about smooth yoyo’s but after being able to do the pc on the one’s I have had come through the shop I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to someone looking for a little bling to fling. :wink:

Hey Spirit, when your ready, we can talk about something slick to do. From one polish guy to another ;D

1 Like

Definitely! That’s what I like about powder coats, it’s the fact that it’s even tougher than most hardcoat anodizes. Any idea if there will be a vibe on even a side effect yoyo?

Shouldn’t really matter in terms of what’s hanging off the side. One drop type side effects are nice cause I can mask and coat them seperately, anything else just has to get masked on the yoyo like the posts for stacks.

Vibe is a crap shoot really I have it under control for the most part but multiple coat jobs need special attention. One thing I have learned is larger throws seem to take the pc better. They handle vibe better to the point I haven’t had much of any on the larger throws and for some reason the application goes much smoother. Small yoyos have a tendency to fight the powder in the hub area, they seem to produce the “Faraday” effect more. In short it’s a field that is produced when coating smaller objects, especially concave, that makes it difficult to get the pc to adhere.

1 Like

I haven’t stopped by this thread until now, but I just caught up on everything. Bravo!

1 Like

Have a project half way done. Sleipnir is for right now white gap except for the gloss black bearing area. The white has been bead blasted smooth upon request. The black is the base for a rainbow glitter splash coming up. Waiting for a material shippment so it’s on hold for now.

1 Like

Wow that sounds like a pretty intricate job haha. Can’t wait to see the final product.

It’s pretty involved but what I’m going to be using may just make pc a staple in the yoyo arena.

Someone’s Viszilla…
He’ll be back very soon :wink:

1 Like

I have some time while my product is drying before I cure it so I figured I would give an update to the Sleipnir project.

First and foremost the owner of this yoyo has been very patient while I have been working on it. Between my regular work schedule and waiting for some new supplies to come in I have had it a little longer than expected but should have it finished by the weekend.

Anyway here is the splash part of the project. Thre green and red have been cured already and blue and yellow are waiting to dry then into the oven for a cure. A new product has made life with powder much more flexable when it comes to splash and graphics.

Here you are…

That’s a Sleipnir? What’s up with the hubs?

Modded? Not mine and I didn’t ask. ???

The Viszilla looks sick! Can’t wait to get it back!

Thanks. Has a very clean look to it and seemed to play quite nicely.

Good to have ya back!

Great to be back :slight_smile: Although since school has started, I won’t be on nearly as much as I used to. Also, the Sleipnir looks like the one that was fixed up by Landon Balk.

How about I go to school for you and you go to work for me!!!

Good luck on the football team :wink:

Ha! Good luck on the drill rig!

I’d get fired on the first day lol.