Easier Descriptions

I recieved the yoyo that got me started (the yoyojam Journey) as a gift, so I didn’t have to put that much thought into which yoyo I wanted to start with. A little while later, I decided to upgrade to a better yoyo since I wasn’t able to preform the trick combos I wanted on the Journey. Since I was still pretty new to yoyoing, it took me forever to figure out which yoyo to buy next. To make this process simpler, I had a few ideas:

. make a “level of play” chart (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being expert). Rate each yoyo with one of these numbers and give a brief description of what tricks should be easy at each number
. give yoyo classifacations. On the “yoyo stats” part of the info screen, tell what style(s) of play the yoyo is meant/best for (1a, 2a, etc)
. Have a recomended “next yoyo” chart. Instead of having to dig though forum posts, it would be helpful to have a list that basically has different yoyos in bold with yoyos that would be the next step up listed beneath it.

I think you are doing a wonderful job for people who have been yoyoing for a little while, but I think more could be done to help out begginners. Don’t take this the wrong way-I think this is the best yoyo site, but just like with any trick, theres always room for improvement ;D

Thanks for providing so much to all the yoyo players of the world!!

I think this might be helpful, but I personally don’t know if it would work out so well.
First of all, the “level of play” is really all preference. Some people might find one yo-yo to perform better than what it is listed as.
Then the “best style of play” thing: well, it’s pretty obvious. Imperial shaped yo-yos are for 2A, larger yo-yos are for 4A (generally), and the rest is for 1A, 3A, and 5A. Also, some people like using 1A yo-yos for 4A, so it depends on how the person uses it.
Next is the “next yo-yo list” thing: like I said, the performance of a yo-yo depends on the person, so it’s hard to tell what yo-yo comes “next.” It would probably be easier to just look them up by hand.
Well, this whole idea wasn’t bad, but in MY opinion, it isn’t that much of a great idea.

1 Like

It might be doable to some degree. I’ve seen both other stores and manufacturer sites list products by skill level. Even with that breakdown there is still a large degree of overlap. look at the YYJ site for instance. There’s a lot of the same yoyo listed in each categoty - beginner, intermediate and advanced.

http://yoyojam.com/shop/

So as you see, it’s not as clear cut as that. Breakdown by price range is much easier to do. and probably just as meaningful.

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, companies other than Duncan would not be able to have yoyos in the “5a” category due to the legal stuff. Except YYJ, with the licensing and all.

I think having categories such as “unresponsive, semi-responsive, responsive, adjustable gap, slim/SPEC bearing compatible” and other categories of that nature would help. YYE does list some yoyos are requiring a bind return, obviously understanding many fairly new players might be attracted to those models.

There’s no reason why someone can’t move from a beginner model to a $200 yoyo if they so choose to, provided funds are there to back it up. I think this would be a foolish upgrade path, but hey, to each their own. If they can afford it, then why not, right? Beginner/intermediate/advanced are all relative terms and preferences and skill play a large factor as well.

If I recall correctly, I think a yoyo can’t be packaged with a CW unless the CW has been licensed from Duncan(even if Duncan didn’t design it or have any part of that portion). I don’t think there’s any restriction against making a yoyo with 5A in mind, or even saying “good for 5A play”

1 Like

Oh, ok, I thought they couldn’t do any kind of advertising for 5a. I mean, they could make a yoyo meant for 5a, they just couldn’t SAY that it was meant for 5a.

They have a category level thing in the shop area slide out.

yeah I know all that now, but back when I was pretty new I didn’t. And your right, almost everything in choosing a yoyo does have to do with preference, so some of that could be pretty confusing…

That is helpful, but with only three widely ranged categories I found it a bit confusing at first…

It’s all you really need. Anything in the beginner section is for beginners, anything intermediate is for intermediate players, (look in the learning section to see what classifies an intermediate player), and by the time you reach the advanced section you should know what you’re looking for…

This I definitely agree with.