Question about Freehand Pro

Hi Everyone! What makes the Duncan Freehand Pro specialize in 5A? Except of course that it comes with a counterweight. Is it the weight? The shape? Or anything in specifics?

I am trying to learn 5A and I use my beat up Replay Pro. I find it a little heavy and hard to maneuver especially with Pinwheels.

The good thing is, Replay Pro is a really good beater, the strings usually slips on my fingers causing the yoyo to go bouncing and rolling across the room, causing minimal to no damage at all. Can the Freehand Pro handle some strong hit? I am imagining that there will be some damage with the part where the caps go but I may be wrong. Though I believe this question will be based from your experience.

Anyway, thanks!

Any 1A yoyo is basically a 3A and 5A yoyo too.
I don’t play 5A enough, but I can only tell that a yoyo that I prefer for 5A is usually ‘too stable’ if I were to use it for 1A, and vice versa. So I guess I like my 5A yoyo to be more stable than 1A.
I think when they say that the Freehand Pro being ‘good for 5A’, that was nothing more than saying that it is also good for 1A or 3A, it’s just advertised that way.

1 Like

You answered your own question. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So it seems that it is all about marketing. I thought there is something regarding the specifications of the Freehand Pro itself. ;D

Thanks Old Yoer and rizkiyoist!

Other than that, there is the legacy of Steve Brown and Duncan and the Freehand, not that the Freehand Pro shares much similarity with the Freehand of old.

I think I’ll pass for the Freehand Pro this time. New Recess First Base just arrived and I might use that in learning 5A. Thanks for the inputs!

It might be just me, but I really like the weight ratio for the FHP to the counterweight. I have metal 5A throws but I keep going back to the FHP…

Well for the most part just like 1a there is no 5A specs. It is a personal thing, however the freehand line has a very sturdy axle system, as well as easy replacement of that system. The other advantage to that system is you can tune out vibe/wobble. because of how the hex nuts interact with the hub. You can add one of the many after market weight rings, or take the caps out for weight modding. You can also add weight under the caps. For these reasons the freehand line is uniquely advantages for the 5A thrower, however I wouldn’t call it a competition level 5A throw.

To find a perfect 5a yoyo you need a strong and durable plastic or meatle yoyo. Why? Because when you do airials with it It mite ding it.