Magic Yoyo Stealth Bi-Metal

Last week I received a Magic Yoyo Stealth. The Stealth is their affordable Bi-Metal yoyo which is made from 7075 aluminum with a stainless steel rim. First, the specs (from their website):

Weight : 64.8 grams
Width : 44 mm
Diameter: 56.3
Bearing : “center bearing” (see comments below)

First impressions:

My first impression was that it felt really light in my hand, and yet, when I threw it, it was really stable. This is typical of bi-metal yoyos. The stainless steel rim pushes the mass out the the rim which both helps stability and tends to increase spin time provided you put enough force into it with your throw.

As a comparison I tend to throw either a TOO H.O.T or a Dogma which are very different yoyos. The TOO H.O.T. is very stable and is very forgiving if my string plane is off. That is, it tends not to tilt as quickly if my technique isn’t clean. The Dogma feels light and fast but will start to gyro if my string plane is crooked. I love the speed and lightness of the Dogma but really appreciate the stability of the Too H.O.T.

The Stealth seems to bridge the best parts of both of those yoyos. It has the lightness of feel of the Dogma with the stability of the TOO H.O.T. while also giving me the benefit of long spin times.

The inner cup of the Stealth has a dome shape similar to a Horizon. This should make it good for fingerspins (which I can’t do). The couple of times I tried a fingerspin I was able to catch the yoyo and get a second or two of spin before I lost it. It’s probably not as fingerspin friendly as the Skyva which is specifically made for this technique, but I expect it would do fine with fingerspins.

I tried a few moves to get a feel for the yoyo’s performance. I’m nowhere near a competition level thrower, but here are my thoughts:

I tried a simple Boingy Boing but tried to speed it up as fast as I could to see how the yoyo feels while changing direction quickly. It felt incredibly light on the string and the limiting factor was definitely my skill level rather than the ability of the yoyo to move quickly. Another trick which I like is Candy Rain which has the yoyo moving in a quick figure 8 counterclockwise around the TH to clockwise around the NTH into a clockwise slack. That figure 8 movement felt really stable with the Stealth. In general the yoyo could do whatever I could throw at it while the stability gave me a lot of forgiveness with my intermediate level technique.

There’s another thing I noticed. One of my favorite combos is Lotus Bloom to Trapeze and his brother slack to And Whut to Gondola to Kwijibo to Trapeze and his brother bind. For me that’s a lot of moves on a single throw and generally my yoyo binds with just barely enough spin to get back to my hand. With the Stealth it smacked my hand on the bind. There seems to still be plenty of spin time left.

The bearing: The Magic Yoyo website calls this a “center bearing”. It’s the stepped style bearing with a flat center and a ramp on either side which looks like a Center Track bearing. I noticed that the packaging on one of my spare center track bearings does say “center bearing” on the package, so perhaps they are the same. However, there was a bit of noise in the bearing when I first threw the yoyo. After a couple of hours it was breaking in nicely although I have had issues with other Magic Yoyos I’ve owned where I had to clean a brand new bearing to get rid of a spec of dirt or something which was causing some noise.

When I took the yoyo apart I notice a nice silver stainless steal axle instead of a black set screw axle. The axle is very short to allow for the fingerspin bowl. When I screwed it back together it did feel a bit like I was cross threading the axle and I was a bit afraid that I was damaging the yoyo. But when I took it apart again I could see that what happened is that the tolerances between the bearing slot in the yoyo and the bearing itself were very tight and a small ring of anodization had scrapped off. Screwing the yoyo back together still felt really tight but it’s a bit tough to determine when the yoyo is together tightly enough vs. too tight and risking stripping a thread.

Overall I’m incredibly impressed. It’s an amazing yoyo to play with in every way and to get a bi-metal yoyo for not much more money than a Shutter is a great deal. At this price point I think it’s a great choice for your first bi-metal yoyo.

2 Likes

Thanks for this review. I’ve been looking at this yoyo for a while and it will probably be my next purchase

The stealth has a CBC CT in it

1 Like

I doubt Magicyoyo purchased bearings or licensed the Center Trac name from YoyoFactory. It’s likely just a “centering bearing” like their site says.

Could be the sky a had a Ct in it