Looking for a good, cheap unscrewable wooden yoyo. Any suggestions?

I have been playing OUT Just For Fun this past few weeks and it really is fun. I change my cotton strings as frequent as changing poly strings in 1A yoyos. Though I am just a beginner for fixed axle play and still experimenting with adjusting the tension and effective sleep times.

I read on another site that the Legend wing is not unscrewable…

My goal is to buy a wooden yoyo that I can do advanced tricks with (eg rancid milk and superman etc).

I need a yoyo that isn’t impossible to do those tricks on, even though it will be very hard.

Heavier will get you longer spin times. Sullivan or a heavy JFF would make sense for string tricks. You could go crazy and get a Free Spirit! The walls are high, so you’d have to keep things lined up as you play.

I doubt you will burn strings very often. I’ve never done it, but I like uniquely responsive tricks like shoot the moons and stalls rather than long 1A combos. It’s more fun!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions!

I’m eying off a laminated Tom Kuhn Lightning. It seems fairly heavy, but is the imperial shape any good for advanced fixed axle play?

1 Like

Get an a-rt peon or squib their wood and can do all the tricks you want but still take a bit of finesse to stay on plane

Probably semantics. By saying it is unscrewable I interpret that to mean it cannot by unscrewed. or taken apart.

As far as string wear, you should be ok with most any type including cotton for string tricks. If you plan on looping cotton will wear quickly.

You’ll want a butterfly shape for what you described earlier. Better for stability and hitting the string.

^ JFF is a great choice! Does not come apart but it isn’t necessary for standard fixed axel. Maybe choose something that has an interchangeable axel if you want to do long string tricks with it so that way if you burn it or whatever you can replace it.

One note about string wear. I believe going for advanced 1a tricks will wear out your string more quickly than your typical wear on a poly string, or when doing stalls and STMs. You should still get a good bit of play out of each string, but a critical difference is that it will wear out were it loops around the axle, and if you’re not mindful, you’ll end up with a high-speed-spinning projectile!

It’s important to periodically check the wear next to the axle. I give a strong pull on the string once it looks like it’s wearing a bit, and if it holds, keep playing. Every string I use on fixed axle, I change because it breaks when I pull. Since you’d be playing with hard throws, you may even want to just change it when it looks like it’s starting to fray around the axle.

Remember, bulk cotton string is cheap.

My bad, for whatever reason, my old brain decided “unscrewable” meant “unable to be unscrewed”. Please disregard my recommendations as neither of the yoyos I mentioned are take apart.

The Hildy Bros Currier looks amazing!

It is amazing. I tried the purpleheart caps version at VA States and it was snappy and spun very, very smoothly. It’s on the lighter side, but I think this is another good recommendation.

Isn’t the Currier fairly heavy for a wood at 60 grams?

I was just going by the 45.5g on YYE’s shop and I’m not sure the type of wood that was based on originally. Perhaps the new ones are 60g (where did you get that?) but I would guess a chunk of the extra weight is in the nuts and bolts which probably wouldn’t help it spin much longer. The purpleheart caps would help though.

Perhaps YYE should oblige us with a weigh in of the 3 new ones! Wood varies but it would ballpark it.

New Curriers:
Maple w/ Purple Heart Caps: 54.7g
Solid Maple: 49g
Maple W/ Skateboard Stripe: 51.8g

Of course due to the nature of wood the weights will vary, but ill add these to the page to give a ballpark.

If you’re looking for heavy - the Cherry OUT Free Spirit weighs in at 63g. Very powerful spin, but a little large.

1 Like

Don’t worry about the strings, you’ll be ok. You have to throw really hard to start burning through strings that quick.

As far as yoyos, the TMBR Irving is really great for $20, even cheaper used. If you ask around you should be able to find one.

The new Currier (you can take it apart) is AMAZING! Can do all your traditional tricks, plus modern tricks. When I got mine first thing I tried was Kwijibo and hit it first try. I’d go for one with purple heart caps for a little extra weight. Or if YYE would do it, have them find one that’s heavier in solid maple.

Currier isn’t that heavy. I have a custom one that Luke made for me, it’s all maple and I asked him for one around 56-58g, and if I remember it’s a little over 58g. Love that yoyo, it’s become one of my favorite yoyos.

My oak Sullivan is probably my heaviest fixed axle, it’s over 60g, maybe closer to 68g. But still it plays great.

Is a YYF legend a good yoyo for fixed axle tricks?

Also, how heavy should a fixed axle yoyo be? How light is too light for it to affect performance?

I love the Legend Wing! I haven’t tried an Imperial version.

It is excellent for fixed axle tricks. It seems like it would be too light for what you’re wanting to do, but I have been able to achieve good spin times with it. As a matter of fact, I can pull off more 1a tricks with it than my other fixed axle yoyos. My theory is that it generates great spin by getting a good grip all the way down the string, no thunk or slips at the end. As a corollary to this, it has a much more predictable response compared to my other fixies.

I have been playing with it more than any other yoyo of any type by far, since I got it. This is much due to me really being into wood fixed axle play lately, and granted I haven’t tried/don’t have as many fixies as others here, but I simply don’t play my 2015 EH, or No Jives anymore. I’m sure I will again, but this yoyo has really held my attention since I got it 3 months ago. I have all 3 picture varieties now, and they are amazingly consistent.

I think it’s a no-brainer to tack this $10 yoyo onto whatever else you end up ordering.

1 Like

If I could have thanked you twice, I would have!

Thank you for you opinion on it, you’ve saved me a lot of money.