What do these words mean?

I have read a lot of yoyo review and i saw some words like nimble, floaty, … but i don’t really know the meaning of these words.
Please help me! Thanks a lot!

Most people who use them don’t know what they mean or don’t know how to properly use them :wink: that’s why I don’t attempt because I’m part of that group :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nimble - “quick and light in movement or action; agile.”

being able to change direction quickly and with little to no resistance or force pressing against the direction change. Heavier or yoyos that have huge rim weight will have more inertia that will cause a slowed response of the reversal and more force during the transition. This same added inertia is exactly why they are more stable and have generally longer sleep times, at the cost of some loss of nimble behavior.

Stable - " not likely to give way or overturn; firmly fixed."

Being able to resist falling off axis due to hand strike or string hitting the sides of the yoyo. A yoyo with high stability will usually have high rim weight or also likely found in Bi Metals. There are a few BiMetals that have big rim weight, but are still fast and nimble. Most of the time you are on a sliding scale. As you favor stability, you lose nimble, and vise versa. While this isnt always the case is a general rule of thumb.

Floaty - A can of worms that is sticky and muddy.

A feeling of especially lightness. If a yoyo feels heavy in your hand while your holding it, but light on the string, it can be called floaty. If a yoyo is exceptionally nimble, one might be inclined to call it floaty. If one is misinformed, one might say a floaty yoyo gives you more time during hops and pops but this is not the case. You will hear this term thrown around alot, but it is too subjective and personal to nail down 100%. After being into it for a while now, I never think “wow, this yoyo is so floaty!” but rather “it feels so light on the string!”

Stable is the only one with a reasonable, qualitative definition. Nimble and floaty are highly opinionated judgements.

1 Like

I totally disagree.

I feel that both: nimble and floaty have reasonable qualitative definitions. Absolutely no doubt.

I, personally just have no idea what they are.

:nerd_face:

1 Like

On the internet, i saw some words like tech, speed, fast tech, smooth style of yoyoing but i don’t really know their meaning
Please help me!

There are about 7 billion styles of yo-yo playing, but several billion of those have yet to be developed.

Fast is exactly how it sounds, tech basically means intricate, and smooth means that the tricks have more of a flow and rhythm to them.

They are just attempts to group similar aspect of the tricks, just take it lightly, there is not real definition as they are subjective.

I am gonna double on that.

Are “fast” and '“nimble” synonymous? If not, what’s the difference?

See, I WAS RIGHT!!! :wink:

A fired bullet is very fast, but does not change direction easily.

A fly’s high agility allows it to change direction almost effortlessly in all angles and orientations, but its top speed is relatively low.

At least thats what just came out of my mind. :slight_smile:

Yes, but I meant in terms of yoyoing…

Oh boy, I hope Nehemiah Peterson doesn’t read that! :smiley:

https://soundcloud.com/scales-collective/episode-1-tech-featuring-nehemiah-peterson

Yeah, I listened to that a while back :wink: best if he doesn’t read any of it :wink: I’m trying to simplify stuff for the confused yoyoers here, not trying to be too technical (lol) or detailed. :stuck_out_tongue:

limiting the context, the meanings do seem to collapse together.

I wish we could “thank you” on mobile

Same!

How I see it, it’s like describing a square and a rectangle. A square is a rectangle, but not all rectangles are squares, right? Same with fast and nimble. Nimble yoyos are usually fast due to their relatively high center weight and light weights. This allows them to play fast and nimble. However, not all fast yoyos are nimble. Some yoyos can play fast but due to their inertia, you can’t make them switch directions easily. These yoyos may move fast because of their light weight and how air flows over the profile.